PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I am looking at a meer with a metal band. The stem looks like amber and it is attached with a bone screw. The band is cast and has been wrapped around the shank. It has much relief. I will get pictures later. The label in the case which has a snap closure, Says CPF Meerschaum. Pipedia has a list for Colossal Pipe Factory. Closed about 1910.
Anyone have info on this? Al.....help!!
:lol:

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Here are some pictures. The band looks to be brass. Stem is chewed off 1".
F1iYflUs.jpg

svsl7hzl.jpg

wSsfYh8l.jpg

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Roth is correct in dating the pipe, however more recent historical information has been uncovered. We all believed that CPF stood for Consolidated Pipe Factory for many years which is not the case. The new research found for CPF is below.
CPF stands for Colossus Pipe Factory. Here is more info on the brand from Bill Feuerbach, President of S.M. Frank Co. Makers of Kaywoodie.
Now as for what CPF means.  About 5 or 6 years ago Gary Schrier, pipe book author/publisher and pipe collector from Seattle sent me a copy of page 30 from the Jewelers' Circular dated August 23, 1899.  I assume this was a publication for the jewelry trade.  On this particular page they have  questions for the editor. One question is "Editor of the Jewelers' Circular: Please inform us who manufactures briar pipes with the trade-mark rude cut: C.P.F.  Thank you in advance for your trouble and kindness"  The answer was "Those letters stand for Colossus Pipe Factory, the business being conducted by Kaufmann Bros. & Bondy, 129 Grand St., New York." This is the same address as on the invoices above.  This industry/trade magazine, published at the time the CPF brand was being made, is reporting the C to mean Colossus.  So that is proof enough for me.  See left hand column at  the bottom.  CPF was part of KBB from about the late 1880's until around 1915.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
It will cost $35 to replace the stem with lucite. I can get the pipe for $40. Probably should ozone treatment it also.I would like to smoke it. Do you think it is worth it? I know it is up to me but is old meerschaum better like "old" briar? :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.