PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Fortunately, there is research to suggest that inhaled nicotine use blocks some of the receptors COVID is looking for thus lessening the overall impact of the disease.

There were anecdotal reports from French and Welsh hospitals about the numbers of smokers having Covid was much lower than they expected given the number of smokers in the general population. At least it gave me an excuse for continuing to smoke my pipe when out and about :sher:

Actually since our Covid restrictions came in (Mask wearing has been compulsory in São Paulo since March last year) I've only had one person make a negative comment about me sitting on a bench in the street and smoking my pipe (and therefore not having a mask on - it was in my pocket for when I finished the pipe). Stupid thing was the footpath (sidewalk) at that point is about 4m wide (we go in for wide footpaths in this city) and he was walking the opposite side of it to where I was so he had to cross over and close the distance between himself and me from 4m to less than 1m to complain that I was endangering his health by not wearing my mask. To which I responded that I was no danger to him when he was on the other side of the path and it was his decision to come and stand next to me (and in the process break the 'social distancing' guidelines); he tapped his head, I carried on smoking and ignored him.

Jan 27, 2020
There were anecdotal reports from French and Welsh hospitals about the numbers of smokers having Covid was much lower than they expected given the number of smokers in the general population. At least it gave me an excuse for continuing to smoke my pipe when out and about :sher:

Actually since our Covid restrictions came in (Mask wearing has been compulsory in São Paulo since March last year) I've only had one person make a negative comment about me sitting on a bench in the street and smoking my pipe (and therefore not having a mask on - it was in my pocket for when I finished the pipe). Stupid thing was the footpath (sidewalk) at that point is about 4m wide (we go in for wide footpaths in this city) and he was walking the opposite side of it to where I was so he had to cross over and close the distance between himself and me from 4m to less than 1m to complain that I was endangering his health by not wearing my mask. To which I responded that I was no danger to him when he was on the other side of the path and it was his decision to come and stand next to me (and in the process break the 'social distancing' guidelines); he tapped his head, I carried on smoking and ignored him.

Braz pizzeria in Sao Paulo is nice. Have you been?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I rec'd the J&J vaccine as soon as it was available (April) here in Maryland. My wife rec'd the Pfizer a few weeks later. She had COVID back in December, when we were at our daughters Lousiana home for Chrismas. We were sleeping in the same bed and spent 17 hours driving home together. I never got it (tested multiple times). She just had mild cold symptoms and fatigue.

Last week, we sent to St. Croix for vacation. They required a Negative test result within five days of travel. My test was negative, wife's came back positive (no symptoms). This was a Walgreens "self-test". She went to anther test site the next day, negative.

I have a buddy who refuses the vaccine, last week, he ended up in the hospital for six days, is now home but very sick.

JkOD - I hope your symptoms are mild and you recover quickly.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Well, I can’t taste or smell and it’s like someone beat me with a baseball bat. Test is positive, so, I isolate and hope for the best. No fever, no cough and no congestion as of yet - so, I’ll count those as positives.

Plan to peruse the forum when I’m awake, but sadly no what am I smoking today. Can’t taste or smell shit. Optimistic about the whole thing - but, still some unnerving things.

I’m new to forum, but enjoying it. Fun place with good people. When my taste returns, I’m pretty sure my first bowl will be bayou morning. I love that shit!

Anyway, my absence isn’t for hate, just due course. Cheers and keep the embers going.
Get well soon.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Braz pizzeria in Sao Paulo is nice. Have you been?
I've had them recommended to me before but I've yet to visit one (I think there are four branches in SP and two are reasonably close).

Restaurants have pretty much been in lockdown since May last year and even now can only operate at 30% seating capacity. Also; my wife and I have only had our first doses of AstraZeneca and we decided we would not eat in a restaurant until after we're fully vaccinated (we should get our final doses end July).

Finally; we live in the old Italian quarter of Bela Vista and the extremely good Pizzaria Moraes is only a 15min walk from our front door. It would be hard to be going out for a Pizza and not be going there, that is unless we were going to Alcide's Pizzaria in Guarujá (on the SP coast near Santos) - in my opinion the best Pizza Restaurant on the planet (and if Pizza isn't your thing Alcide also has a fantastic traditional restaurant next door too).

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.

What a complete and utter tosser.
He tapped his head and killed the majority of what little brain cells he had in the first place.
A useful idiot.

Jan 27, 2020
I've had them recommended to me before but I've yet to visit one (I think there are four branches in SP and two are reasonably close).

Restaurants have pretty much been in lockdown since May last year and even now can only operate at 30% seating capacity. Also; my wife and I have only had our first doses of AstraZeneca and we decided we would not eat in a restaurant until after we're fully vaccinated (we should get our final doses end July).

Finally; we live in the old Italian quarter of Bela Vista and the extremely good Pizzaria Moraes is only a 15min walk from our front door. It would be hard to be going out for a Pizza and not be going there, that is unless we were going to Alcide's Pizzaria in Guarujá (on the SP coast near Santos) - in my opinion the best Pizza Restaurant on the planet (and if Pizza isn't your thing Alcide also has a fantastic traditional restaurant next door too).

I had very good esfiha in Paraiso.

Catapury shouldn't be on pizza.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I had very good esfiha in Paraiso.

I should hope so; lots of Lebanese and good Lebanese food in this city!

Catapury shouldn't be on pizza
I agree. Actually I think Catupiry is best left on the shelf.

In my opinion most local cheese are a meh.

Locally made Gorgonzola, Brie, and Parmesan are OK; Swiss shouldn't be worried about the local typo Emmental or Gruyère. A far cry from Australia where some of the locally made European type cheeses are as good as - and in one or two cases better than - the European originals.

Jan 27, 2020
I should hope so; lots of Lebanese and good Lebanese food in this city!

I agree. Actually I think Catupiry is best left on the shelf.

In my opinion most local cheese are a meh.

Locally made Gorgonzola, Brie, and Parmesan are OK; Swiss shouldn't be worried about the local typo Emmental or Gruyère. A far cry from Australia where some of the locally made European type cheeses are as good as - and in one or two cases better than - the European originals.

Yes, I don't care for American cream cheese either. I made that Bahia dish this winter with shrimp, palm hearts and catupiry. I thought I missed it but didn't miss how I felt after eating it.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Well, it does suck to have. Avoiding a fever, but the body aches are pretty awful. I’ve read that days 5-10 can be the worst, so starting that period today. The hallmark of not tasting or smelling anything is not enjoyable at all. Look forward to the end of this crap and enjoying a good bowl!

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Well, it does suck to have. Avoiding a fever, but the body aches are pretty awful. I’ve read that days 5-10 can be the worst, so starting that period today. The hallmark of not tasting or smelling anything is not enjoyable at all. Look forward to the end of this crap and enjoying a good bowl!
Just hang on in there and look forward to smoking the tobacco when your sense of smell returns.

We're all wishing you our best on your road to recovery.

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
Good luck! Me and my family were careful since this crap hit the states and then we all got it about 2 months ago. Luckily all we experienced was flu like symptoms. The hardest part for me was the lethargy and losing my GD sense of smell. I could stick my nose in a Yankee Candle and I could not smell a thing. After two weeks, it slowly started to come back. Tobacco smelled like cardboard or burned particle board..no bueno. Luckily, after 4 weeks, my smell came back and all is good in the neighborhood.

I hope you have a quick and speedy recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.