PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The efficacy of this has been pretty widely shot down. I do it anyway, figuring it won't hurt. I'm fully vaccinated as is everyone I know. Had no serious reaction to either shot.

Having had Covid-19 will give you increased resistance but not immunity and may not offer protection to mutations. Vaccines work pretty well. People seem unaware that there were over 11 years of research and development into Coronavirus vaccines, starting under the Bush Administration, before the pandemic hit. These vaccines didn't just sudenly develop out of nowhere.

Its a personal choice. I made the choice to get vaccinated. There are risks with all vaccines and there always were. When I was a kid, people got vaccinated for a variety of things, like polio. We didn't argue over it. It made sense and was the better option.

Given the growing data on potential long term effects of even a seemingly mild case of Covid-19, it made even more sense to me to take the jab.
Next time someone steps on a rusty nail I hope they refuse the Tetanus vaccine.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The fear of science is too often akin to the fear of what lies in the dark outside the boundaries of the campfire. The over dependance on "faith" rather than science creates paranoia and superstitions with the result that we are a nation of people making decisions akin to what squirrels might make. Faith is important and it is necessary. Science is no less the same. The difference is that science can actually shed a light into the darkness of the forest and pull back the shadows whereas faith can only help us imagine what those shadows might represent. Faith supersedes science when in the face of what is real and threatening, we move forward with resolve and determination, despite the evidence of what is seen. Without faith, we would be squirrels, fearing to leave the safety of our tree knowing that the predators that would eat us are only a stone's throw away.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
If one is neither priest nor scientist themselves, one is merely taking another’s word for it in either case.

Trusting authorities is something humans have been doing for a long time, for good and for evil. But no one, in the moment, knows for sure which one they participate in, despite everyone thinking they’re doing the right thing.

Life is hard, it turns out.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
If one is neither priest nor scientist themselves, one is merely taking another’s word for it in either case.

Trusting authorities is something humans have been doing for a long time, for good and for evil. But no one, in the moment, knows for sure which one they participate in, despite everyone thinking they’re doing the right thing.

Life is hard, it turns out.
Maybe, maybe not. A person with an experience always has an advantage over one with an opinion. That said, a person driving down a busy street 100 miles per hour is either discounting science or overly trusting faith . I don’t see them as mutually exclusive.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well, I can’t taste or smell and it’s like someone beat me with a baseball bat. Test is positive, so, I isolate and hope for the best. No fever, no cough and no congestion as of yet - so, I’ll count those as positives.

Plan to peruse the forum when I’m awake, but sadly no what am I smoking today. Can’t taste or smell shit. Optimistic about the whole thing - but, still some unnerving things.

I’m new to forum, but enjoying it. Fun place with good people. When my taste returns, I’m pretty sure my first bowl will be bayou morning. I love that shit!

Anyway, my absence isn’t for hate, just due course. Cheers and keep the embers going.
I had that crap and it took me two weeks before I could smoke a pipe. First week it made my throat feel like death to the point where even extra slow smoking made my throat freak out. Then second week no point because it only tasted slightly smokey. Worst part is the symptoms didn't just end like they do with a cold or flu but lingered in a super extra week form for months. By the way I got it when people where like do you think it's going to get here, so I had the extra fun of thinking I just had the worst flu ever and was probably going to get this covid thing too. It was months later that I found out what I had. fun stuff all around.

Aug 1, 2012
Best wishes. Take your pulse ox as often as you can. (90+ depending on altitude to be safe) I've had friends who had no problems but others who had ongoing breathing problems, others who had clotting problems and a few who died.

Likely you'll be fine but keep up on your symptoms to make sure

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Be careful of Zinc. After my son came home with Covid-19, my wife took Zinc and other stuff. She called me to tell me she thinks she caught Covid-19 from our son. I asked what the symptoms were. They matched issue with Zinc intake than Covid-19. She stop taking Zinc and the issue went away. I have similar issue with other supplements.

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
Fortunately, there is research to suggest that inhaled nicotine use blocks some of the receptors COVID is looking for thus lessening the overall impact of the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.