PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Feeling Alright has three (at least) covers and I think two are better than Traffic's version. Everyone knows Joe Cocker's version, but not not a lot of people know this version by Three Dog Night, which in my opinion is the best.

3DN was the very first concert I went to, Arrowhead Stadium 1973, I believe. I was only 6 and my older sister wanted to go, so Mom loaded us both up and went.

Some may disagree. Knocking on Heavens Door has been covered over and over, and I think Guns n Rose's is better.

AreBee

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
3DN was the very first concert I went to, Arrowhead Stadium 1973, I believe. I was only 6 and my older sister wanted to go, so Mom loaded us both up and went.

Some may disagree. Knocking on Heavens Door has been covered over and over, and I think Guns n Rose's is better.
Very cool. Great American, often overlooked band.

Agreed on Knockin' on Heaven's Door. I saw Guns n Roses play it last year in Jersey and it was still fantastic.

Reactions: doug535
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I don’t know about kicking the original—I love all of these versions—the covers are fun reinventions that seem wholly original.

Here’s Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me” Original Studio Version:

Dwight Yoakum’s cover of “I Want You to Want Me”:

The Holmes Brothers cover of “I Want You to Want Me”:

I was fortunate enough to see the Holmes Brothers live several times and hang out with them. It’s sad that Popsy Dixon and Sherman Homes both died in 2015.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
IMO the greatest cover of all time is Glen Hansard's rendition of Springsteen's "Drive all night." (Featuring Eddie Vedder)

Jimi's "Sunshine of Your Love" was immeasurably greater than Cream's original.

Prince's version of "Creep" trounced Radiohead's.

Jack White's "Love is Blindness" is better than U2's, but it doesn't leave it in the dust.

On the opposite token, Guns N' Roses covers should be considered sins against our collective eardrums; gruesome serial murders of innocent songs that didn't deserve such ravaging.