Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
How set in stone is it that this legislation will result in a tobacco apocalypse? I keep hearing a lot about this but haven't really had the time to look into it that much. Is this process sure to kill off many blends/blenders or make them much more expensive?
I guess my real question is, is the tobacco apocalypse real and certainly going to happen, or is this like a doomsday prepper Y2K speculation but no one is really sure kind of thing?
By my calculations at my current rate of smoking I have 48 years worth in the cellar, so I'm not too worried about it, just wondering how much of this is fact/information based and how much is mass hysteria/fear mongering to canvas tobacco community outrage in order to avoid what will be a difficult and expensive but manageable process for tobacco companies?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The mass hysteria/fear is based on real events. That much is true. How it will all play out in the future? Well, that's the reason for the wild imaginings, hysteria, and what little well considered thought has been sprinkled through the various threads.
No one can possibly know the eventual conclusion ... but, we can all run in circles, peeing ourselves, panties in a bunch, yelling and screaming ... secure in our real or fictitious righteous indignation.
Edit: Considering none of us will or, can have any bearing on the final outcome, we do waste a lot of effort, hate, etc., grumbling and venting.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Puff, Puff. Leans forward in his seat, eyeing OP. Leans back takes another puff, shrugs, posts, and goes back to reading “The Shaver Mysteries.”

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Harris (cigrmaster) said:..."pepe, I plan on gouging those folks to an extent previously not seen in this life time, it will be epic."
To which I say: I'm ready with my popcorn!!! Ready for the show and the tears which will flow!
Yeah, got a full cellar!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can you imagine a world with no Blood Red Moon or Molto Dolce, I can't.
Nope, caught both at P&C awhile back for $6/tin and bought the hell out of them. Not to mention I have several pounds of Dark Red and Creme Brulee.
To quote Duane as I often do..."My cellar laughs at this development!"
:mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Is this process sure to kill off many blends/blenders or make them much more expensive?
It's already done a little of both and hasn't even taken effect yet.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
If you read the Lexology report all the way through, there is an interesting graf at the bottom of the piece:

And I quote:

"Although it is possible that there could be future changes to the deadline based on litigation or other developments, it is prudent to assume that nothing will change and that the deadline will remain May 11, 2020."

So, yes, FDA got its comeuppance in the court ruling by health agencies.

But, I think Warren is right on the money when he says the FDA deadlines will be changed, and changed again. Afterall, we are talking money here, boys and girls. Lots of moola, both for and against.

And the kiddies? They got the health agencies all in a wad over vaping. I don't see the connection of vaping a liquid of questionable content and pipe tobacco or a cigar. A good cigar is a cigar, so it goes. Kids aren't buying pipes and good cigars, are they?

There is a lot of noise in the background on this issue.

Keep those cellars brimming, boys.

And take a deep breath.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Considering none of us will or, can have any bearing on the final outcome, we do waste a lot of effort, hate, etc., grumbling and venting.
Codgers love grumbling and venting. It serves a dual purpose. It demonstrates that we aren't yet dead, and it keeps our families from putting us in the ground prematurely and divvying up the spoils.
What will be, will be. Smoking in the West is dying by a thousand cuts. There's no reason to expect that will change. Maybe that's why the focus for selling tobacco is turning to Asia, where the anti smoking movement is apparently less developed.
Can you imagine a world with no Blood Red Moon or Molto Dolce, I can't.
Since I don't smoke either of them, my answer is yes.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Will this effect Samuel Gawith’s Squadron Leader/skiff Mixture/etc?

Also will it effect Kramer’s Father Dempsey
Sorry guys I just haven’t been able to find any info on these blends and when they came into the market.
What are great blends to stock up on before this happens?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sorry guys I just haven’t been able to find any info on these blends and when they came into the market.
When in doubt, search for the earliest reviews for blends on Tobacco Reviews.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
When in doubt, search for the earliest reviews for blends on Tobacco Reviews.
I already tried that and much to to my abhorrent dismay the oldest review of any blend I’ve earnestly enjoyed was 2010 :crying:

szconrad

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
I am interested to see, as some of you have pointed out, what this will mean for the actual pipe tobacco market here in the US. With the announcement last week that the new Peterson "Dunhill blends" will not be marketed in the US, is this a sign of what's to come in the tobacco market here? Time will tell, I suppose.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Conrad, your intel may be undependable.
In THIS thread about Dunhill, a Lane rep indicates we should have them available "soon".
jay-roger.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I don't smoke much of Dunhill blends nowadays,but there are few of their offerings which I still do enjoy with great pleasure when possible, among others, Dark flake, Royal Yacht(in moderation)Ye Old Signe and Ready Rubbed green,and thats about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.