Dunhill Tobaccos Rebranded as Peterson

(107 posts)
  • Started 3 weeks ago by Kevin Godbee
  • Latest reply from weezell
  1. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Can't believe just yet that this wasn't someone just having a bit of photoshop fun, though.

That's what I was thinking too.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

blues4goose

Login to Send PM

Regarding FDA and deeming regulations...
    If they're indeed the same blends, they would unambiguously fall under the umbrella of "Substantial Equivalence" and be exempted from testing requirements, would they not? Or is that just for cigars?

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please read the thread! There's almost nothing unambiguous about any or all those regs.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of us predicted this would happen.
    I now posit that these "STG-Peterson-Dunhill" blends will NOT disappear a year from now. Either STG has figured out a way to get around the deeming costs, or is prepared to eat them having sharp pencilled the cost versus future profit.

Probably this. It's not like the FDA fees are that large, evidently around $3000 per blend. Once they've sold a couple of thousand tins per blend that cost will go away. Or, they may decide to do what others are doing and focus on the Asian market.

Ah, $3K per blend! That's way better than the many tens of thousands of dollars mentioned some time ago. Makes it only onerous, not stifling.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If they're indeed the same blends, they would unambiguously fall under the umbrella of "Substantial Equivalence" and be exempted from testing requirements, would they not?

They would not, because they left the US market in 2008 after they lost their US distributor. To be grandfathered in, a blend has to be continuously available in the US market since before February 15, 2007.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

blues4goose

Login to Send PM

They would not, because they left the US market in 2008 after they lost their US distributor. To be grandfathered in, a blend has to be continuously available in the US market since before February 15, 2007.

Do STG's "Match" blends make any difference?

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  7. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

I hope they will be available soon.
    And I hope they will be priced as the other Peterson offerings.

"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable". Frank Zappa (Yeah, baby; yeah!)
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  8. laniromee

laniromee

Login to Send PM

I was never a fan of Dunhill blends but I'm very happy it turned out well for all those who appreciated it. We as pipe smokers deserve some little victories like this one.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hang on a tad, folks: It's not certain that the Dunhill blends will be under the Peterson name. Likely perhaps, but I found out yesterday from the company that it was undecided. I hope no one loses sleep over this important detail....

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  10. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Internet = Rumor

NOT

Internet = Fact

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Do STG's "Match" blends make any difference?

Nope. It was the Orlik/STG clones that were pulled in 2008. According to what I read, they weren't even available in England for a while. You'll know this is real when the blends show up on shelves. Until then, nothing has changed and there's still lots of good choices besides these.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  12. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@SableBrush, All correct, can't add anything to this 'statement

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  13. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Call them Peterson, call them Dunhill, call them Big Bubba Goofball's Wild N' Crazy Baccy Blends for all I care. Just get them back on the market. Until then I will wait patiently with my cellar full of other fine options and relax. Until it's in my pipe, it isn't real, so no sense losing sleep over it....

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  14. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

The main one I'm looking forward to getting my hands on again is the Deluxe Navy Rolls as I only have two tins in the cellar and unfortunately we don't get Escudo in the UK, so the nearest blend available taste wise is the Charatan 'match' blend called Rolls.
    While I have enjoyed the tin of Rolls I've been smoking in its own right it is not that close to DNR (well to my tastes anyway) as the black Cavendish core makes it much more like Davidoff Flake Medallions than DNR so I hope they get these rebadged Dunhill blends to the UK market sooner rather than later.
    I do remember seeing a video of the people responsible for these Charatan blends talking about the cavendish core (which pops out easily) and how you don't have to mix it in if you prefer a straight vaper but what with a tin costing the equivalent of $20 I'm loathe to not use every last drop.

Chris

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some of the grand old unopened tins of Dunhill blends kicking around my stash. I really like them, yet for the last year or so, I have always found something else I wanted to smoke. Also, I kept blathering about how these blends would resurface because a going brand can't afford to just fold its hand, even if the name can't be used, it turns out. Now I just hope all the various blends I enjoy, formerly Dunhill or whatever, don't disappear in a cloud of regulatory smoke. Otherwise, it would be fun to say I told you so. But not so much now.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

logs

Login to Send PM

Wilke Pipe Tobacco still has some tins of Dunhill left in stock at reasonable prices, less than $12 a tin. I just bought a stash of London Mixture and Ye Olde Signe. Evidently, nobody hoards these?

I don't know about you all, but Ye Olde Signe is a lovely VA. Starts out tea-like and then gets a great umami bready flavor in the second half of the bowl. It's one of my favorites.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Frankly I miss the McClelland clones.

PM Pipe = Nightcap

AM Pipe = Early Morning

Nine 2 Five = 965

Smoked a lot of these while Dunhill was absent.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  18. pinchoftobacco

pinchoftobacco

Login to Send PM

It’s sad to see so many tobacco mfg. getting out of the industry. Crazy the number of changes just in the past 15 years and we are just at the beginning. Dark days ahead, stock up boys!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  19. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hawky454.. I saw where a lot of them will be reborn, but not Flake.
    Where did you see that?
    Not doubting you just hoping. That was my fav.
    Still trying to find something like it.

All I’m going by was the pictures in the link that was posted in the OP. On the bottom right it shows Flake & Dark Flake side by side. I have no idear if that pic is accurate or not though. I really don’t think it’s a fake reddit mock-up but we’ll see.
    Ah, $3K per blend! That's way better than the many tens of thousands of dollars mentioned some time ago. Makes it only onerous, not stifling.

Yeah at one time there was a rumor that is was going to cost $250,000 per blend. Lol

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  20. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah at one time there was a rumor that is was going to cost $250,000 per blend. Lol

3K or 250K...just a minor difference there.

Makes me wonder what the truth of it is...but my wild guess is that when the dust settles the amount will be more than 3K.

But whatever it ends up being, you can count on it continually increasing year after year, as these things always do.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  21. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone care to speculate whether some blends will continue to have bulk offerings, as before?

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  22. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Does anyone care to speculate whether some blends will continue to have bulk offerings, as before?

Sure. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. That about covers it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am close to 100% sure that the above statement may well be true. And my WAG is no, they won't. 49% sure on that one.

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ttt

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. samw74

samw74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]Does anyone care to speculate whether some blends will continue to have bulk offerings, as before?

Sure. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. That about covers it.

+1 sablebrush52

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. leonardw

Leonard Wortzel

Brand Manager, Lane Limited

Login to Send PM

Pardon for not weighing in earlier. Where to begin...
    - That's a real power point from our company. A bit surprised that the entire power point got out there (typically we'd just use the press release page), but the content is all suitable for public consumption
    - Not going to weigh in on the whole FDA aspect. Safe to say the blends will be around for a while.
    - As for right now not 100% of the blends will be back. Not saying never, but no timing on the return of the others, including bulk versions.
    - No changes to the recipes you have been enjoying for quite a while
    - Why the Peterson name? The PPT addresses this, but trust me, a subject of much internal debate.
    - Timing - soon(ish). I'll let you know as soon as they hit the dock.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, from the proverbial horse's mouth, thanks, Leonard!

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, real, actual straightforward facts! Thank you a bunch, Leonard.

If you need any testing, I'm your man. (Along with many of my compatriots here.)

Can you give some hints as to what markets will enjoy this release?

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

I do love facts.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 1 week ago #
  30. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a fake news release after all, good news.

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Very excited to try these for the first time, and all of your smiling faces getting some of your old favorites back fills me with joy. Maybe this feeding frenzy will take some of the heat off the regular old Peterson blends so I can finally stock up on some Irish Flake, damn it!

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

gnarlybriar

Login to Send PM

Thank you Leonard! And thank you and y'all for seeing to our continued lifetime enjoyment! You do understand how important these are to so many of us.

Posted 1 week ago #
  33. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While Durbar still may be on life support, Nightcap and London Mixture lives! Rejoice!!!

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. leonardw

Leonard Wortzel

Brand Manager, Lane Limited

Login to Send PM

I do confess to taking perverse pleasure in watching the rumor mill swirl on these sort of things.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Thanks Leonard!

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 week ago #
  36. burleyboy

burleyboy

Login to Send PM

Hi. I just want to share with you, what I've read today on a German tobacconist's website. They announced, that the Petehills are going to be presented to the German distributers at the tobacco fair "Intertabak" in Duisburg on 18th of September 2019 and will be available in Germany shortly after that.

I guess, there won't be a great difference in the release dates internationally.

Kind regards
    Julius
    Posted 5 days ago #
  37. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now