PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
As most of us will agree, over-regulation Is crap, but a lot of people miss the fact that under-regulation is crap, too. Most pipe smokers are reasonable and responsible (or at least that’s what the stereotypes would have us believe) and most cigarette smokers are low class idiots (or that’s what the stereotypes would have us believe), etc. The realities are myriad, as are the opinions, but the general fact is that there are too many instances of people not using common sense or common courtesy that gives ammunition to the regulators and squeaky wheels. Anyone that’s lived in an apartment or even as a neighbor knows that there are countless ways that one can “pollute” another‘s daily existence, most of which are not regulated. The sad truth is that smoke of any kind can harm others if they breathe it for a prolonged period, as well as damage living spaces, etc. I therefore propose a ban on indoor cooking and outdoor cooking on balconies.

Seriously though, most landlords don’t give a crap about tenants beyond their ability to pay rent. Cooktops that have hoods are usually not vented outside and cooking odors can permeate an entire building.

One challenge is, many smokers (you choose the type of smoking here) smoke indoors with their kids present. It’s been banned in cars in NY with kids up to 14. Why 14 would be an adequate age to breathe second hand smoke in an enclosed pod, I don’t know.

There are so many elements to things like this, I don’t blame someone for wanting to improve the quality of life for those around them, but the problem is, I don’t trust the politicians motives or judgement.

In states like NY (my home for 47 years), they fight a hypocritical battle. Cigarettes are like $10/pack and they want you to quit but are so addicted to the tax revenue.

And once again, the unthinking people have ruined it for the rest of us. The tobacco industry has such a rightfully earned bad reputation that positive elements, like the P&T industry, habe been tarred with the same brush. The best thing we can ever do is get separated from the cigarette crowd somehow.

if landlords could be counted on to not cheap out, life in a lot of apartments would be better. But sure, go after the smokers. That will fix everything.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
It seems like compromising isn't valued anymore. It now seems like it's an "us" against "them" mentality all over the place.

Our founding fathers and Their so-called Great Compromise (or Connecticut Compromise in honor of its architects, Connecticut delegates Roger Sherman and Oliver Ellsworth) provided a dual system of congressional representation. In the House of Representatives each state would be assigned a number of seats in proportion to its population.

www.senate.gov/artandhistory

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
You can pass all the insane laws you want. Enforcing them is an entirely different matter. Like the police don’t have enough crap to worry about? These laws are made so the Gladys Kravitzes of the neighborhood finally have an excuse to set up those astronomy binoculars on a tripod and peep in your windows to make sure you’re not smoking in your own home and breaking the law.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just have to add again the proposed law even says it applies to multiresident places. Shared houses not single family houses. Which seems much more reasonable then what some of us assumed (that includes me). So your kids can't rat you out, and when the old biddie next door tries to rat you out she's only reducing the reponse time when she actually needs help. Still leaves room to disagree but not as unreasonable as some of us thought.

Reactions: ofafeather

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
o.k gonna go on a rant here. It's amazing how many times the headlines are written in such a way as to encourage outrage or make people sound more extreme then they are. One of my favorite examples was this lip stick was named "under age red" some people basically said that's a little off tee hee hee. And the headlines made it sound like people where foaming at the mouth and not just having a little throw away opinion that clearly wasn't a big deal. But of course the headlines made it sound like the pitch forks had come out. Funny thing is it makes everyone look like over sensitive nimrods. Another classic is one or two people are foaming at the mouth and the headline makes it sound like a huge trend. Example anyone remember the supposed star bucks conservatives freaking out about no jesus on the cups? One guy who basically says that about everything. Sorry rant over. Almost.. People are insane enough as is, without being mislead into thinking they're even crazier then they already are.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
o.k gonna go on a rant here. It's amazing how many times the headlines are written in such a way as to encourage outrage or make people sound more extreme then they are. One of my favorite examples was this lip stick was named "under age red" some people basically said that's a little off tee hee hee. And the headlines made it sound like people where foaming at the mouth and not just having a little throw away opinion that clearly wasn't a big deal. But of course the headlines made it sound like the pitch forks had come out. Funny thing is it makes everyone look like over sensitive nimrods. Another classic is one or two people are foaming at the mouth and the headline makes it sound like a huge trend. Example anyone remember the supposed star bucks conservatives freaking out about no jesus on the cups? One guy who basically says that about everything. Sorry rant over. Almost.. People are insane enough as is, without being mislead into thinking they're even crazier then they already are.
Absolutely. The more inflammatory the headline, the better. Whether it has relation to the actual story or not.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
There are several states that I wouldn't even consider living in, and NY is one of them.
There is one rule in my house. We don’t talk politics (we are political opposites). Enforcement, however, is that I don’t get to reply?. My wife’s immediate and extended family are all from or living in NY. Now I wore a uniform for a couple years so that everyone could retain the right to believe what they want... but for the love of all that’s holy, at least try and figure out WHY you believe it before expressing that ideas’ superiority publicly.

Nice people in general, but some of the social media posts just make me want to stick my tongue in the nearest non-fused power outlet...

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There is one rule in my house. We don’t talk politics (we are political opposites). Enforcement, however, is that I don’t get to reply?. My wife’s immediate and extended family are all from or living in NY. Now I wore a uniform for a couple years so that everyone could retain the right to believe what they want... but for the love of all that’s holy, at least try and figure out WHY you believe it before expressing that ideas’ superiority publicly.

Nice people in general, but some of the social media posts just make me want to stick my tongue in the nearest non-fused power outlet...

It's simply my opinion, and I know exactly why I believe it.

How you wish to perceive it is entirely up to you...I couldn't care less. It is a "superior idea" only for me. It may be an inferior idea for you...where you or anyone else chooses to live for whatever reason is of no concern to me.

Have a nice day.

PS: be careful not to read alaskanpiper's response to my comment...he's even more extreme than me. rotf

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just want to say thank you to @Wifesbain for reaching out to me by PM. It seems I misinterpreted his post and he was not actually complaining about my comment, which is how I read it, but just trying to describe his own difficulty discussing these issues with family.

It's a good example of how easily misunderstandings can occur with this type of communication. And PM'ing someone to sort it out can be a very good idea sometimes. My apologies Wifesbain for my misinterpretation.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I live in New York. It's the biggest *&%$-hole on the east coast!
There is no El Dorado that exists and most places have upsides and downsides to them. People make their own choices about where they live (hmm - not always a real choice but that illusion exists anyway). It’s all a compromise. NY has it’s downsides for sure but I am still a proud New Yorker. My wife and I both grew up in NYC but have been living about 2hrs north on the MA/CT border for going on 20 years (still in NY). I never thought I would leave the city but now I don’t think that I would ever go back to live there. We could choose to live in a state with less taxes, less regulation, etc, but that’s not why we choose to continue to live here. NY is a great place...for us. Certainly far from perfect but any endeavor involving humans can never be. People have to find the places to live that work best for them and that won’t be the same for everyone. Even in states I would say I would “never” live there are probably places that I would happily. That has little to do with government and is much more about the people and communities. There are problems everywhere and bright spots, too, and I don’t expect that will change anytime soon, or really ever.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
There is no El Dorado that exists and most places have upsides and downsides to them. People make their own choices about where they live (hmm - not always a real choice but that illusion exists anyway). It’s all a compromise. NY has it’s downsides for sure but I am still a proud New Yorker. My wife and I both grew up in NYC but have been living about 2hrs north on the MA/CT border for going on 20 years (still in NY). I never thought I would leave the city but now I don’t think that I would ever go back to live there. We could choose to live in a state with less taxes, less regulation, etc, but that’s not why we choose to continue to live here. NY is a great place...for us. Certainly far from perfect but any endeavor involving humans can never be. People have to find the places to live that work best for them and that won’t be the same for everyone. Even in states I would say I would “never” live there are probably places that I would happily. That has little to do with government and is much more about the people and communities. There are problems everywhere and bright spots, too, and I don’t expect that will change anytime soon, or really ever.
Well said. I was stationed in San Diego for 5 years. I even stayed for a year after my enlistment was up. Such a beautiful place (born and raised in Kansas...) at one time I said I would never leave. When the towers came down I simply couldn’t afford to stay. Many friends from the service stayed as well, but slowly moved out over time. We all choose what we want, what we are willing to deal with, and how much we are willing to sacrifice in all our life choices. I visited those friends in Cali a couple times before they left, and the social atmosphere of the state changed rather quickly as well during that time. Though still beautiful, it became a place I wasn’t willing to sacrifice for.
To me, home is where my family is. So now I live in Ohio which also has its benefits, though different ones than California. Life happened along the way, so now no matter what the future holds I can never leave Ohio. And that’s ok too.

Have a good day.

Edwin Weaver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Living in Wisconsin
pipe-smoker.com
Hardly surprising.

Local news here.

National Review here.

Dear Fellow Pipe Smokers and who smoke,

I hardily feel that a “Class Action” law suit should be filed, with the UCLU, against the Government and all those who are fighting against ‘smoking’.

These people are “killing” people, more than any tobacco will or has ever killed. They force us to go outside, in the cold, even sub-zero temperatures, to smoke. They cause us to be exposed to hypothermia and frost-bite for their pleasure.

Yes, they can say that the choice is ours, but then again it is the non-smokers choice to go where smoking is permitted! Truth is truth!

Older, handicapped people like myself are forced to go outside into the elements to smoke. I like to enjoy a pipe after I have eaten a good meal. It takes a while to smoke a pipe. I feel that I have suffered frost-bite in my hands and possibly my face because of these unjust, in human laws and the people who have cruelly enacted them.

They should be held accountable! They should pay the price!

I thought we were in a free society – life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness – but I fear that is not true.

A “law suit” should be filed for associating Humans as RODENTS (defamation)! Smoking as never been proved on humans! They did a study and experiments on RODENTS and say that applies to us, HUMANS. But even there they are lying! TRUTH is always the TRUTH it never changes. If their claim was true ALL the RODENTS would had cancer. However not ALL had cancer, so their claim is FALSE! Plus, since I and other HUMANS are not RODENTS, their claims are DEFINITELY false and misleading!!!

contact the UCLU and start the ‘CLASS ACTION” law suit.

This is only ‘my opinion’, my belief that criminal elements control the governing bodies, they will allow gambling and out-law smoking. Gambling has destroyed more families and lives than smoking could ever destroy.

Example; a restaurant I frequent has recently installed gambling machines in their lobbies, yet forbid smoking in any part pf the restaurant (you have to smoke outside in the cold)! Even animals receive more compassion!

Best Regards
Old Man with a pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.