Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Flagler County commissioners are taking a tough new stance against tobacco users looking for work – by considering nicotine a banned drug.
Beginning Oct. 1, prospective county employees will be required to take a nicotine test in addition to pre-employment drug screening for illegal drugs.
A failed test would not only deny an otherwise qualified applicant a job, but would also prohibit employment with the county for another 12 months. Nicotine, whether in smokeless tobacco, electronic cigarettes or regular cigarettes, would be considered a drug by county officials.
“The tobacco ban applies to anything that would produce nicotine,” said Joseph Mayer, Flagler County’s community services director. That includes cigarettes, chewing tobacco, e-cigarettes, pipes and snuff.
Job applicants also must sign an affidavit stating, under penalty of perjury, that they have not used tobacco within one-year of employment.“It’s the same thing as drug use,” Mayer said. “We have a drug-free policy where everyone is tested for drug use before they come on board, and if they start using afterwards we won’t know until either a random test or a workers compensation incident.”
Flagler’s 635 current employees are exempt from the new tobacco policy, which was unanimously passed by the Flagler County Board of County Commissioners on Aug. 19.
When asked if the new tobacco ban would apply to the county commissioners, Mayer responded in an email, “As such, the policy does not apply to our County Commission or those individuals who may run for office in the future.”

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
“The tobacco ban applies to anything that would produce nicotine,” said Joseph Mayer, Flagler County’s community services director. That includes cigarettes, chewing tobacco, e-cigarettes, pipes and snuff.
Also tons of vegetables, like Eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, or deserts with the physalis fruit. So better NOT eat for a week before you go to a screening ....
While we are at it, we should definitely put a fine on breathing air, after all whenever you exhale you produce CO2, which is not only known to cause death, but also to increase global warming (being a greenhouse gas and all). Yes, that's right. Just look at the perfectly healthy person sitting next to you. They are breathing deadly gases into your face and destroying the earth! Should give them a piece of our mind and put them all in jail...

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
(Head/desk)
Gotta love the busybodies who run for public office these days.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
This makes my blood boil. Do they not have better things to do? What business is it of theirs? Jobs are hard to find. Under current administration, the private sector has shrunk while the gov't has exploded. Now this stupid local gov't making it tough for some to get a job.

oldman

Lurker
Mar 23, 2013
Dang...was hoping this was just internet rumour crappola, but nope.

http://watchdog.org/104307/in-one-florida-county-nicotine-is-a-banned-drug/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People long to have the moral upper hand, or any upper hand, and they will always abuse it.

When people go from plain teaching to department head, oh watch out.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Dontcha love busy bodies who feel they know what's good for you? The thing that does get under my collar is when they pat themselves on the back, saying what a great thing they are doing for the public - namely taking away their rights and fining or jailing them when they do.
This was my fear of stocking up 50 years worth of tobacco (not that I will live that long). Once they start drug testing for nicotine, we're done. It won't be very long before it's illegal. Still, it's not going to stop me from stocking up as much as I can, but the future isn't very bright for our younger smokers.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Well leave it to Florida, on the for front of tobacco legislation and meth use, coincident I think not.

~Ron

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I think they should start drug testing for junk food and cheese burgers too. I mean that causes tons of health problems. They should make that illegal too. All we can do is live in a bubble and eat carrots and sunflower seeds. I mean why stop at nicotine? Why not start controlling EVERY aspect of our lives? Makes me sick .

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
“As such, the policy does not apply to our County Commission or those individuals who may run for office in the future.”
Typical "do as I say, not as I do" control. Frankly, I'm surprised it was Florida and not Washington.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
This was my fear of stocking up 50 years worth of tobacco (not that I will live that long). Once they start drug testing for nicotine, we're done. It won't be very long before it's illegal.
I think there are a lot of things that are illegal and tested for, but people still do it and easily get away with it. Just don't flaunt it or try and sell it on the black market and you'll be fine!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
str8,

Sorry, too old for Nirvana (though I've driven through Curt Colbain's home town of Aberdeen a lot). I live on the Enumclaw plateau.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
After reading this thread I did a little extra research on the issue and came across a very interesting potential scenario as a result of this law:
"Current employees are not affected by the county’s policy, which may lead to such situations as a new hire who quit smoking to be an employee being supervised by someone who takes a break to smoke." (http://flaglerlive.com/58251/employee-smoking-prohibition/)
Wow--can cut the hypocrisy with a pipe tool.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
And yet, we hear that it is ok for medical and recreational use of weed in some places! Our society is upside-down in many respects.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.