Cosmic's Secrets To Marriage

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Several times on here I’ve been asked the secret to a great marriage. The secret is that the first marriage is the hardest, after that… it becomes routine. I kid, I kid. My first marriage was to a beautiful Scandinavian girl, gave me two beautiful daughters, but after the first pregnancy, she developed schizophrenia. I don’t joke about that part of my life. At first I just thought that she was a very jealous woman. She’d go through my calendar and then ask me in rage, “Who is April?” I was willing to stick it out, as I’d always heard that half of all marriages ended in either divorce or death, and she made the choice and tried to kill me. Long story short, I ended up raising two little girls from one years old till I met my now wife, Mrs Cosmic.

lora.JPG

When I met Ms Cosmic, she was a diehard tobacco Nazi, because she had lost her father from lung cancer at an early age. I hid that I was a two pack a day smoker as I did everything I could to quit. My daughters were in on the deception, and would cover for me. When she found a pack of cigarettes in my truck, my youngest, 4 years old in Hello Kitty garb, said they were hers. Ms Cosmic was like, “yours?” My daughter said, “fuck yeh, but I just smoke when I’m drinking.”

I knew Ms Cos and I were a match made in heaven when we were attending a BPA meeting at the State House in Montgomery. She was one of the first online retailers for crafts supplies, before Amazon gobbled them all up. The Governor and all these fuddy duddies with stick up their asses setting around, making toasts with water with their little pinkies out. One woman was giving a speech on women entrepreneurs, and made a joke about conservative men marrying liberal women. My Ms Cos blurts out loudly, “The real reason conservative men want liberal women is because they’re way more likely to do anal!” just as water shot out my nose.

Being a single dad of girls, I was way more sensitive to women’s rights and respect for all women. Believe it or not. Ms Cos was more of just an outspoken realist. She was making speeches at these women’s conferences, which made her feel second class. She much preferred hob knobbing with the real business class, so she went into comedy, stand up as just a thing. It’s about the same as politics, except comedians tell the fucking truth. Believe it or not, standing up in front of huge groups is not my thing at all. But, I helped her write her stuff, and I became the butt of her jokes. There’s an art to it. We fell madly in love… actually… NO. More than that, we became best friends with benefits. I was George Burns, except instead of being on stage, I was setting off to the side with my pipe, enjoying being laughed at. That’s the fucking secret to marriage… so we got married 9 years into this. I’m leaving a lot of stuff out, important stuff… and that’s another fucking secret to marriage, ha ha.

You may notice that I make a lot of jokes about my wife talking too much, but it’s not a joke. She once swallowed a fly while we were watching TV, and couldn’t talk for a minute. I panic’d and thought I had gone deaf. But, honestly, we work damn well together. She supports me in all of my endeavors, pushing me further and further, and I support her. She doesn’t do stand up… at the moment, because she is handling the business side of what I do. Great woman, and I wouldn’t trade her for any other. But, sometimes I like to introduce pretty young women to her as the next future Mrs. Cosmic, because I know she is just going to roll out another zinger in good fun.

The secret to marriage is… if you expect her to appreciate what you do, you have to appreciate the things she is into. Mrs Cosmic has spent many an hour listening to Brian on the radioshow with me, but in return I have had to pretend to listen to many an hour of crafts podcasts. I admit, she now knows more about tobacco varieties and pipemakers than I know about crochet stiches and bead patterns. But, she can tell I try. She blames my penis for not being able to tell the differences between crochet and knitting. And, I just tell her to stop wrapping my junk up in yarn.

Also, nothing in this world is serious, and I am serious about that. There are two types of people, those who can take a joke, and future basket cases.

Also, another secret is to pick someone who you just absolutely adore… and, if that doesn’t work, just settle for whomever will tolerate your shit… or, a mix of both. Mrs Cosmic will always remain that beautiful redhead that I fell in love with, madly... no matter how old she looks. And, honestly, we’ve never fought a single day. That, I am not sure how to advise you on. Maybe, it’s magic. Maybe it is our humor. We both go through life laughing at everything. Humor is our coping mechanism for sure. And, if you are someone without a sense of humor, and you take yourself seriously, Mrs Cosmic will mercilessly wreak havoc on you.

She also encourages everyone to live in a way that you only regret the things you’ve done, and never the things you didn’t say.

I truly am the luckiest damn man in the world. I'm smoking some 8 year old Red Cake right now, how about you?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The secret to marriage is… if you expect her to appreciate what you do, you have to appreciate the things she is into. Mrs Cosmic has spent many an hour listening to Brian on the radioshow with me, but in return I have had to pretend to listen to many an hour of crafts podcasts. I admit, she now knows more about tobacco varieties and pipemakers than I know about crochet stiches and bead patterns. But, she can tell I try. She blames my penis for not being able to tell the differences between crochet and knitting. And, I just tell her to stop wrapping my junk up in yarn.

Long ago as a single young man, I realized that getting women to talk about themselves and engaging with them and relating to them about things they are interested in is the best way to get them to enjoy talking with you, and gives you the best chance at them being interested romantically. It goes a long way in creating what they call "chemistry." I still try to do that with my wife, though I know I'm not always successful. Sometimes I find myself talking about legal minutiae, or about pipes or whiskey, then I think "why the hell am I talking about this? My wife doesn't give a shit about this." Then I move on to something else.

She likes books, philosophical topics, big-picture law stuff (like constitutional rights etc.), analyzing tv shows and other media, and so on. I try to talk about the stuff she's into that we both enjoy discussing. Maybe these are just the things she likes that I also like. She also really likes baking, for example, and about the most discussion I can have on that topic is whether something tastes good to me or not. I still like watching the Great British Baking show with her though.
Also, nothing in this world is serious, and I am serious about that. There are two types of people, those who can take a joke, and future basket cases.

Also, another secret is to pick someone who you just absolutely adore… and, if that doesn’t work, just settle for whomever will tolerate your shit… or, a mix of both.

That's true of course, but IMO more guys go wrong on the flip side... they pick a woman they adore who is only settling for them. That's a recipe for disaster, and there is not really anything you can do to fix it. If your wife thinks you're a real catch, that's a much better starting point. It's far better for her to think that other women want you and so on, and perhaps dealing with a bit of jealousy or insecurity here or there, rather than her thinking "why did I marry this doofus."

Long ago as a single young man, I realized that getting women to talk about themselves and engaging with them and relating to them about things they are interested in is the best way to get them to enjoy talking with you, and gives you the best chance at them being interested romantically. It goes a long way in creating what they call "chemistry." I still try to do that with my wife, though I know I'm not always successful. Sometimes I find myself talking about legal minutiae, or about pipes or whiskey, then I think "why the hell am I talking about this? My wife doesn't give a shit about this." Then I move on to something else.

She likes books, philosophical topics, big-picture law stuff (like constitutional rights, and so on), analyzing tv shows and other media, and so on. I try to talk about the stuff she's into that we both enjoy discussing. Maybe these are just the things she likes that I also like. She also really likes baking, for example, and about the most discussion I can have on that topic is whether something tastes good to me or not. I still like watching the Great British Baking show with her though.

That's true of course, but IMO more guys go wrong on the flip side... they pick a woman they adore who is only settling for them. That's a recipe for disaster, and there is not really anything you can do to fix it. If your wife thinks you're a real catch, that's a much better starting point. It's far better for her to think that other women want you and so on, and perhaps dealing with a bit of jealousy or insecurity here or there, rather than her thinking "why did I marry this doofus."
And, I agree with you 100% about it without arguing the same side back at each other, ha ha. A first!!
They say listening is an aphrodisiac. For men, it's also a stool softener... easy come, easy go. puffy

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Congratulations on your marriage.

My personal observations have been that two people cannot be expected to evolve the same. Secondly, at some point one becomes dominant with the other going along to get along.

As with most marriage counseling, YMMV.

Reactions: hawky454 and JOHN72

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I didn't get married until I was 51. As Cosmic said the success rate for marriage is less than 50% and I didn't like the odds. I was doing a talk for a group on Reiki and she walked in. It was a "Where have you been moment." Not a "Where have you been all my life" but a I have been waiting for you to show up moment, as if I had always expected her to show up. We have been very happy and humor has been a big part of our life. I always agreed with Red Skelton who said that you shouldn't take life seriously because none of us is going to make it out alive. My advice to people on marriage is that if you think that marriage is a 50-50 proposition then you will fail. You must give 100% of yourself to your love and hopefully she will give 100% back, but don't expect it. Be grateful for every moment and share life as best friends.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I loved your story dear Cosmic. Dammit, How the hell do I write such a long story in English? If I'm a teddy bear vending machine.Insert the coin, thank you, your little bear, thank you, keep playing, thank you. I can only say that my second and current marriage. I've been lucky choosing this woman. She is very loving, cultured, and very generous. Can you ask for more? Eleven years of marriage and we still have not had any serious episode. I thank my intuition or God, I don't know..........

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You are a very lucky man and you know it! I’m happy for you! I’ve been married twice now, I’m not one to blame the other as I’m the only common denominator in my failed marriages… I’m to the point where I just believe marriage isn’t for me, I don’t want to be one of those guys that’s on his 5th or 6th marriage still trying to force it. I do admire those with a tight bond and a strong marriage though, maybe one day a lady will come along and change my mind but I seriously doubt it at this point, I’m 41 and a smoke a pipe and dip, two very serious turn offs for a lady. Anytime I go on a date, all I can think about is getting home so I can reunite with my beloved tobacco, get back into my sloppy clothes and lounge. The single life really ain’t that bad.

I’m curious, how old were you when you met Mrs. Cosmic? How old were your daughters? And how did you, of all people, score such a beautiful woman? (I kid, I kid).

I’m a single father, I date, but I don’t introduce my daughter to any of my lady friends, I don’t want her getting attached if my lady isn’t, at the very least, going to be around long term.

I also admire that you raised two daughters, not an easy task but very rewarding.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Me and the wife always tell our friends, that the secret to marriage, is to always stay friends.
Sure we fight and bicker often, but we both always know that we're going to end up laying in the same bed together.

Yes she is my wife, but she's always been my best friend. I am her best friend too, but she won't admit it. Lol

Been together since highschool. Married for 8 years, 14 years together total.

Screenshot_20211016-142508.jpg

how old were you when you met Mrs. Cosmic?
I was exactly your age, 41. Don't give up hope. There is a women somewhere that you will find gorgeous that is looking for a guy who smokes and dips, believe me. Or, you can just remain happy... if you want... sheesh, ha ha.

I said that my youngest was 4, in the OP, but it may have been more like 8 and 6. I am not great at math, thus my wife handles the business side of what I do, ha ha.
And how did you, of all people, score such a beautiful woman?
She must have done something horrible in a past life, ha ha.

And, thank you.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
very true.
I said that my youngest was 4, in the OP
Ah yes, sorry I missed that. My daughter is 4 years old right now. A wonderful age, she’s developing her own personality and she is funny as hell, she is constantly bringing me to tears with laughter. She’s going to be 5 in a few months, my my, how the time does fly!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I kissed her once. She screamed. I took the pipe out of mouth and kissed her again! Actually I was drinking in the bar at the Ritz in London in the days when you could smoke in such establishments. Mrs Condor walked in and started talking to me and said she loved my accent. I pointed out I didn't do Russian hookers. That got me a slap across the face as she pointed out she was from Finland. I seem to remember saying something to the effect that made all the difference and what was she drinking. We got married fairly shortly thereafter.