bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Plus you control what goes into it
That’s why I grow a few veggies in my garden , I know where it came from

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Did you just say you'll load the kiln up with quartz? How much quartz have you got stashed away?! Hahaha! I'd love to see the photos after. ;{D

I am a lapidary artist. I have rocks all over the house and studio. Some will say, even in my head, ha ha. But, I really don't have that much quartz, but I do have quite a bit. It's not really very expensive here, and found pretty much everywhere. Now, if I was loading up the kiln with rubies... that would be a sight. :puffy:

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I have a little block of pyrophillite , always wondered if it would make a good pipe bowl
.. I think it makes a good soapstone wood stove in slabs

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I am a lapidary artist. I have rocks all over the house and studio. Some will say, even in my head, ha ha. But, I really don't have that much quartz, but I do have quite a bit. It's not really very expensive here, and found pretty much everywhere. Now, if I was loading up the kiln with rubies... that would be a sight. [:puffy:]
Hahaha! Rocks in your head... for sure! ;{p Load the kiln up with a variety of stones, rocks, and gems... It would look like a mini Ali Baba's cave!

I've been adding a cup of apple cider vinegar to the water in the crockpots, to increase the effects of the heat on the leaf in the flue. The yard has smelled great, ha ha. This is some semoise from some seed from Jitter, who got them from the Joseph Martin farm in Belgium. Jitterbug's suggested curing was to just hang them for three months. But, being the ever curious cat I am, I flue cured it in the acid steam. It turned a bright red with a definite fermented cigar leaf fragrance.

20.jpg

This is a closer pic of the steamed leaves waiting to go into the bag.

19.jpg

I went ahead and packed a pipe to sample the semois. Wow, imagine semois with a sweeter but more cigar-like bite. Also the barnyard fragrance is more mellowed. But, it is definitely semois.
Here is the whole crop so far for this year. I have packed it into plastic totes that I will store out in the barn. I still have some japan8 strains still growing, and some more semois and Virginias, which I will keep suckering to keep harvesting the leaf. So, this is about half of this year's crop. My estimate of 12 lbs seems about right, but that will proces down quite a bit by the time I remove the stems and cull the leaves more. But, worth it to have some homegrown to play with.

21.jpg

Mrs Cosmic is pushing for me to build on a small kitchen-like area to process the tobacco. Just a small room with a stove to toast, steam, and process. I seem to be getting tobacco shake all over the place, and the house smells like a cigar factory. Not bad, just strong.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I live vicariously through you, Cosmic. Good on ya. Thank you for posting the pictures of your journey.

The Virginias are picked over pretty good. You can tell that what is left is sort of ratty, but maybe more than the four pounds I had estimated.

22.jpg

Here are the second wavers. These came up when I cut the stalks down from the ones I fully harvest all of the leaves. They will continue to give me leaves to harvest until our first frost, which can sometimes be as late as december. So, I may be getting maybe ten more pounds.

23.jpg

I like to wash the leaves from the later harvests, because I do spray them with thuricide. It is labelled an organic pesticide, which is a bacteria that kills the hornworms by affecting their specific digestive system, while not affecting people at all. But, just to be safe, I will wash the leaves before putting them in the flue kiln, barn, thing. You never know what a burned pesticide will do, plus it doesn't smell great. So...

24.jpg

Here are the rubber bands and hooks (homemade) to hang the hands of tobacco.

2.5jpg

And, here is what the hands look like, where I have bound them.

26.jpg

I am trying to supply as much information as possible for those who may be interested in growing their own. I may or may not document my future crops, as it is easy to forget to take pictures as I work.
But, it is getting closer to the end of the year. I may post more, especially as I pull the Japan8 leaves out of the kiln barn. Plus, you might want to see me shred them or roll them into twists. Ye, or neh?
I don't want to bore you. :puffy:

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for sharing so much information and photos. It's all very fascinating!

Status
Not open for further replies.