Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Yah , not the best idea . Does it compost well ?
Or , thinking , the ash could improve the soil

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Any casing involved in the process Cosmic? I really have enjoyed this post by the way.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Cosmic - Since you hand-picked as leaves ripened up the stalk and have now cured and ordered; is there a obvious difference in some characteristic or another in the leaves based on stalk position? Did you keep track of that?
From books and radio show interviews I get the feeling that it meant something to grading, but no one's been very specific on what.

I am not trained in anyway to grade leaves. I am not even sure what is meant by that either. I do know that leaves picked from the bottom have less flavor, but smokes very mellow, without much nicotine. Leaves from midway and up, were the leaves that formed latter, when the plant was flowering , thus it has more flavor and nicotine. I sorted my leaves based on color and aroma. Any "off" smelling leaves got culled. This year I culled a lot more than most years, because I had some mold forming on a couple of stacks. I wanted to get them sorted and processed, to prevent any more of that. Usually, I would have waited a few years. Processing early will be my experiment. The only thing I worry about in processing early is maybe gettng some harshness from not allowing the ammonia to "gas off" of the leaf.
I have only processed the fermented leaf. The yellow will still set for a couple of years... unless I see mold. I am just guessing that the fermentation process, more moisture than usual, and the storage bin was kept a little more warm than usual, was what started the whole mold process.
I may use a light misting of the diluted calcium propionate next year, after I stop the fermentation. Regardless. I am more than satisfied with the flavors I have now in this batch of reds.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I just read this entire thread while drinking three cups of tea. Time flies when you're having fun.
Cosmic, thanks for posting. Very interesting and enjoyable to read...great pics too. :clap:

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Awesome thread, Cosmic! I love seeing people with skills and a passion for figuring stuff out. The extra effort for documenting and sharing is sincerely appreciated. Please keep sharing the blending, aging, and consumption updates as you go.
I'd curious for you to estimate a cost to produce leaf per pound, including your time. This reinforces the idea to me that pipe tobacco seem ridiculously cheap to me, given the amount of work and risk and that go into the entire process. No one is getting rich producing pipe tobacco, right?

Thanks guys,

I'd curious for you to estimate a cost to produce leaf per pound, including your time.

My wife and I have talked about this at length. Gardening is expensive. Growing your own food is ridiculously expensive. I believe we estimated our tomatoes to be over $3 a piece one year. This tobacco ends up being rather expensive too, especially when you add in the labor. But, when I grow a crop of corn or soy, over a larger area, add in buying bulk fertilizers, and you can grow things way cheaper. The big boys of tobacco farming do get a sizable chunk of money for their crops, one of the highest cash crops on the market. But, they also spray chemicals, bulk process their crop, and don't cull as well as an individual growing 30 to 50 plants can. So, I estimate that my crop is far superior to what I can buy. It has to be a labor of love.
And, when the ax drops, as is obviously coming, and no one can buy tobacco any more, I'll be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.