PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The McClelland aroma. I was under the impression that it was a natural, non-glycol humectant. It's in every one of their tobaccos, regardless of what it tastes like, and it's in no other brands.
If you read about how this Italian tobacco is processed, it talks about how the fermentation results in acetic acid. I'd love to see first hand this process. https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://canalife.altervista.org/Benev.htm&xid=17259,15700021,15700105,15700122,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700173,15700201&usg=ALkJrhgaEWItY7-_QXB-SIKNQHW4bxsM4A

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
In planning your fire curing, you might want to read this about Kentucky curing in Italy.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://canalife.altervista.org/Kent.htm&xid=17259,15700021,15700105,15700122,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700173,15700201&usg=ALkJrhhqxmJw-L0QrgeonfEP5scOI6euIg
And this from Kentucky.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr152/agr152.pdf

From - https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://canalife.altervista.org/Benev.htm&xid=17259,15700021,15700105,15700122,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700173,15700201

The masses are then subjected to a series of fermentations, increasing the humidity with a brief and partial immersion in hot water; this causes a rapid increase in temperature within 48 hours, up to 60 ° C.

immersing the tobacco into water scares the crap out of me for some reason.

Progress report for the 2018 crop:

After talking to my cooperative and the county extension agent, they recommended that I did not grow tobacco on my commercial farming property, as I was claiming it as a business, and that could mean trouble. Probably not, but thinking about how much trouble it "could" be, then I just thought that to make things easier... I'd keep it in the garden at the house. If you follow me on instagram, you're probably familiar with my Cosmic Garden, with heirloom varieties, fruit orchard, and vineyards. My house is about five miles or so from the farm, so it would be easier to keep the leaves hand checked for hornworms without having to use commercial sprays and such.
So, I've built a 32' x 6' raised bed next to the house for Virginias, repurposed a 12' x 4' raised bed (which was used last year for Virginias) for Japan8 oriental tobacco, and an 18' x 6' bed for semois (thanks jitterbugdude). The beds are made of 6x2 treated lumber. The lumber has to be replaced every four years, and some raised bed purist always bawk that I should use cedar. But, I find that cedar breaks down on the ground just about as fast as treated pine. And, the cost is stupid expensive.
I also had the bright idea to borrow a dumptruck from the cooperative to bring in some of the dirt from the farm. ha ha, smart eh? The dumptruck couldn't get close to my house, because of power lines, so I had them dump it in my wonderful neighbor's yard... with his permission. I gave him two dumptruck loads in exchange for his generosity, as I am building a retaining wall in his backyard around his pool.

BUT... I had to hand shovel the dirt into wheel barrows and move a whole dumptruck load to fill the beds. My neighbor and I decided to rent a Bobcat to move his dirt, which we won't have to worry about for another few weeks. But, I wanted to get a move-on on the garden, since Spring is here.
The dirt is good volcanic field dirt, but now that I have the beds full, I am going to spread a thick layer of rabbit manure from my hutches and a layer of compost from my composter. I make about 100 pounds of compost a year from shredded junk mail, grass clippings, and chopped leaves from the orchard, plus kitchen and garden scraps. I HATE using a tiller, but I will only ever have to use it once on the beds, and I hate it second to hand shovelling dirt and moving a wheel barrow. It took over 50 wheel barrow loads. You'll see the look of joy on my face in the picture below.
07.jpg

08.jpg

My calculations, I should be able to get a tad over 20lbs of Virginias, maybe 5lbs of semois (having never grown it before I can't be precise), and no telling how the Japan8 will pan out. I also have a few of different varieties of cigar leaf varieties ready to be placed just strown about the garden. Those are more of an experiment. Maybe next year I will devote more space to them.
Yeh, after sharing some of my previous year's crop with Skip at The Briary, his wheels started spinning. He was asking me to sell him some tobacco to sell as The Briary's blends. But, when I told him how much manufacturing and licensing would be, he passed. It did make me feel good that he thought it good enough to put his branding on it, but I am not someone who wants to play around with Big Brother. Maybe, one day in the future, if Big Brother decides that it's ok, but for now, this is just a hobby for me. I just enjoy learning about where things come from. I also grow our own apples, peaches, apricots, muscadines, blueberries, and all of our vegetables. I don't drink, but my wife enjoys the muscadine wine that I make for her, and I enjoy having gallons of juices, jams, and jellies on hand. We're not nature freaks at all. Just like to keep busy in the yard, and the whole family has something to do together. I also enjoy sharing with friends, and it is rewarding enough when a friend enjoys the fruits or bowls of my labor. Dirt, sweat, and labor to dollar, I don't think we save any money, when you think about the work. But, the family bonding and just the fruits of our labors is solid gold.
Anyways, the next post will be about planting time, and we are just a little while away from no more 50F nights. I hope you are enjoying my work, vicariously from your computer. :puffy:

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Love following your progress with this, Cosmic. It appears you live on much more land than a mere normal city lot? As well, it was good to see your face in that last photo :puffy:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I love these posts as well; makes me want to go out and get started on the garden. Checks forecast........4-8 inches of snow tomorrow...god @$#$@$@@!@#! Maybe next week.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great post and pix! Almost makes me wish I still lived at the almond orchard in Yolo County. Almost.
There we had 9 raised beds and grew a fair amount of vegetables, esp. tomatoes. Would have been fine for tobacco, which I never got rountuit. Plus oranges, lemons, apples, apricots and cherries. But the birds got most of the cherries, and yields varied a lot.

Lots of compost, most of which was left for the new owners.

It really doesn’t take much space. With ten years of square foot gardening, you learn that you can pack in the plants by mixing plants in the same bed for vegetables, plus the soil is kept so fertile that you don’t have to worry about depletion or crop rotation like I do with the corn crops. And, it being a long narrown raised bed that I am growing the tobacco in, the leaves will not shield the sun the same way it does if you plant closer in a large field, so I can grow more in less space. And, more of the leaves will come out more pristine, with less waste. So, with a corner of someone’s yard they could easily grow a year’s worth of tobacco. But, I don’t intend to just smoke what I grow. There are too many awesome blends out there for me to hoard back and age. But, if someone wanted to add to their tobacco experience, it is a lot of fun. And, it’s not rocket science... just look at my face.... that’s not the face of a smart person, ha ha. :puffy:

I keep Bird feeders full of sunflower seeds for the cardinals, and they keep the fruit eaters away. They are very territorial, and I’ve not lost anything to birds. Now squirrels and chipmunks, they eat my pecans before I even realize that their ready. I’m not even sure what birds around here would mess with big fruit.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
My calculations, I should be able to get a tad over 20lbs of Virginias, maybe 5lbs of semois (having never grown it before I can't be precise)
Cosmic, I've only weighed one Semois plant. I can't remember how many leaves per plant I harvested but probably about 14-16. The yield was 57g per plant.

Yes, and I was counting rib weight on all of my calculations. I am probably way off on all of my calculations. That may only give me about a pound of Semoise. If I remember with my Virginias, it was about a quarter pound per plant total, but then after I ribbed them it was abou 3/4ths that. But, that's bone dry right out of the cure. Then separate tops and tips for reds, and suckers and bottom leaf for yellows, it ends up seeming like a lot less. But, that's a decent amount to set back to age for special occasions.

I am tempted to build even more beds, but I may have to wait till I get the bamboo cleared, so that the dog will have some place to poop, ha ha.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
What's a good dry-weight leaf target for a Prilep plant?
I'm not sure. Samsun-Maden yields about 1 ounce per plant. Prilep seems a little bit bigger leaf so if I had to guess I'd say a little over an ounce. I'll let you know in August since I'm growing a few dozen of them this year.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Yeh, after sharing some of my previous year's crop with Skip at The Briary, his wheels started spinning. He was asking me to sell him some tobacco to sell as The Briary's blends. But, when I told him how much manufacturing and licensing would be, he passed.
It is really sad to hear that it would cost a lot. You could become a world-famous pipe tobacco farmer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.