PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
I am considering getting a Corona Old Boy lighter in Matte Black. Looking at the traditional butane one, not the pipe master piezo. Are they worth it and if you have the matte black, does it wear well or should I consider another finish? Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Many enjoy them but they aren't good in a breeze. I had one with the pipe shapes, dropped it, and it's fuel tank cracked. Almost as much to repair than to replace. I've got a silver arabesque one now but it's for looking at only.

Reactions: Reggie and craig61a

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Old Boy is the best butane pipe lighter IMO, can’t comment on the black finish. Mine has been pretty rugged as well suffering no ill effects from several drops.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I am considering getting a Corona Old Boy lighter in Matte Black. Looking at the traditional butane one, not the pipe master piezo. Are they worth it and if you have the matte black, does it wear well or should I consider another finish? Thanks.
I have had my Old Boy for prob 15 years. I think I paid $130 for it. Worth every penny to me. You’ll notice the quality the first time you use it. It has been reliable. It’s actually been through the washing machine twice ? by accident but both times I pulled it out of the laundry, gave it a flick and it lit. Will say that this past year my regulator knob doesn’t seem to work much so I’m going to have it serviced. But it’s worth it to me and if I lost it I’d get another one. I went with a silver finish bc I figured the black would look pretty rough after a few years.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Buckaroo,
Do you know if ARS will do/can do a pipe flame conversion for a Dunhill Rollagas?
Thanks,
Honkey Tonk Man

If I remember right, they were tight on parts about a year+ ago. Something about pipe flame replacements for Dunhill's not being made anymore. I could be wrong as I did not pay that much attention because all my lighters are Dupont's. Ask them- ARS & Elegant Lighters - https://lighterrepairs.com/

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I had one. After a couple of years, it wouldn't ignite. Even though the flint still sparked and the gas still flowed (and light up using another flame). I tried all sort of things and nothing worked. The problem was solved only because I somehow lost it. I'm still tempted to get another one.