PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I used to think all C&D knew how to make were Burleys. I didn't like their burley blends so by default, I didn't like C&D. I'm happy I got over that because C&D is one of my favorite blenders these days and holds a significant position in my cellar. I really like the Small Batch Caroline Red Flake blends. A number of their VaOr blends are as good and better than anything else out there. My favorite blends are Virginias and I've learned to really appreciate and enjoy Opening Night.

My favorites are the Carolina Red Va's, Opening Night, Sun Bear, Dreams of Kadath, Bijou, Oriental Silk, Sanselpocro, Seersucker, XX Flake and Sunday Picnic.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Three Friars is one of my all-time favorites. I also recommend Opening Night for Virginia’s, and Old College if you want a good English Aromatic.

I’m surprised to hear you didn’t like John Marr. I’m not much of an aromatic smoker, but I really enjoyed a tin of it.
Another vote here for Old College. And if you like burley-forward blends, give Morley's Best a shot. It has just enough VA flake and Latakia to make for an interesting blend.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
John Marr is a step outside my usual Balkan / light English mainstays, and after the first two bowls, my take was similar to the OP. However, after leaving it in the tin, letting it dry to almost crispy, it’s become an enjoyable occasional smoke. My journal notes remind me to pack tightly, smoke in the afternoon - preferably warmer days - and pair with sweet tea! Living on the Carolina coast, I can’t help but enjoy the nod to seafaring lore. All of that to say; it won’t likely be a reorder, but has found its place in my current rotation of 12 open blends. A pleasant sweet treat and my wife likes the room (porch) note so much better than the Bayou Night I’ve been assaulting her with ;)

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Thanks for all the suggested blends it definitely narrowed it down from over 200 blends they offer. C&D deffinatly subscribes to the more is more mindset. With that many blends there is bound to be something there to like right?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Gonna have to add Star of the East Gold to the list. Just tried it for the first time and it pretty easily jumped to the top of the heap of C&D blends for me. You might not dig it if you're looking for heavy Latakia, but that's what regular Star of the East is for. Gold is much more like Presbyterian or EMP, and perhaps even more similar to Dunhill Durbar, but a shade less Latakia. Loads of dried flower, sour, briney, woody, oriental deliciousness if that's your thing. It's definitely mine. Less lat than Sasieni or Sobranie white label, so seems like a perfect summertime/all-day Balkan to me.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Top 3:
Briar Fox
Sunset Harbor Flake
Black Frigate

Others I have tried and won't buy again:
Bayou Morning - too dry and I prefer GLPease Fillmore
Oriental Silk - smelled like poop and didn't taste like much.
Blockade Runner - too sweet.
Epiphany - Didn't care for the plum topping.
Byzantium - smelled like even more poop and didn't care for the mustiness.
Burley Flake #5 - good flavor but there are better burleys I prefer. This one seems all over the place.

I probably have a ton more to try. It's a hit or miss trying new tobaccos. Some people rave about the blends I don't like and vice-versa.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
[QUOTE="rushx9, post: 36133866, member: 20 Star of the East Gold to the list. Just tried it for the first time and it pretty easily jumped to the top of the heap of C&D blends for me. You might not dig it if you're looking for heavy Latakia, but that's what regular Star of the East is for. Gold is much more like Presbyterian or EMP, and perhaps even more similar to Dunhill Durbar, but a shade less Latakia. Loads of dried flower, sour, briney, woody, oriental deliciousness if that's your thing. It's definitely mine. Less lat than Sasieni or Sobranie white label, so seems like a perfect summertime/all-day Balkan to me.
[/QUOTE]
I looked at star of the east and its tin description listed 50% latakia. Thats way to much for my taste. I'm not a huge fan i have blends i enjoy with it but only on the lighter mellower side like quiet nights, Presbyterian, Davidoff royalty... i will have to check that blend out as i skiped the gold version assuming it had 50% lat with different blending tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.