PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
The vast majority of what I smoke is either straight Virginia or something that has to be a slight variation from being a straight Virginia. That narrows my window by lot, in fact I have been smoking only three blends from C&D: Sunday Picnic, Union Square which technically is a GLPease, and from time to time Interlude (the other two tobaccos that I smoke regularly are from Samuel Gawith, Best Brown and FVF). Recently I have added Opening Night and I think that it will probably take the place of Union Square. I find Opening Night more immediate and satisfying.

To my taste Opening Night and Sunday Picnic are fantastic, but I am definitely open to suggestions for a different C&D's straight virginia that I should try. I am already familiar with the other Virginias/VaPer from Pease, so I am just referring to C&D.

Reactions: bnichols23

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
What are some of your favorite standard run cornell & diehl tobaccos? I have only tryed 2 and one was the biggest klinker (john marr) i ever tryed and went straight into the trash after 2 bowls. The other was autumn evening. It was just ok which is a shame because i love maple syrup and really wanted to like it. So i have steered clear of trying more tins. What are your thoughts with tins being 15% off on S.P.com?
Interlude is one of my favorite tobaccos. They say its cased with some honey (not topped mind you) but you can't taste it. It's basically as close as you can get to Carolina Red Flake in my opinion, just a straight red virginia.

• Wow
Reactions: radrick96

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Interlude is one of my favorite tobaccos. They say its cased with some honey (not topped mind you) but you can't taste it. It's basically as close as you can get to Carolina Red Flake in my opinion, just a straight red virginia.
Finally someone with input on interlude! I’ve been curious about trying it since i got small batch Carolina red flake. Good to know, it’s in my cart for next order! Have you tried good morning or after hours? Was thinking about getting some of that with it...

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Finally someone with input on interlude! I’ve been curious about trying it since i got small batch Carolina red flake. Good to know, it’s in my cart for next order! Have you tried good morning or after hours? Was thinking about getting some of that with it...
No, I haven't. I'm not really into all those exotic sorts of flavors. In fact, I only have one topped tobacco that I smoke, and that's only on occasion which is Low Country Santee, and it's not really topped all that much. Otherwise I'm into plain sorts of blends, Red Flake, Interlude, Burley #2, Jacknife Plug, Bulk Brightleaf, etc.

Reactions: radrick96

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
No, I haven't. I'm not really into all those exotic sorts of flavors. In fact, I only have one topped tobacco that I smoke, and that's only on occasion which is Low Country Santee, and it's not really topped all that much. Otherwise I'm into plain sorts of blends, Red Flake, Interlude, Burley #2, Jacknife Plug, Bulk Brightleaf, etc.
I have mostly smoked the plain as well since I’m still new to the hobby. I have two tins of Carolina red flake. I’m looking into interlude next. I will have to try those others you’ve mentioned! Thanks friend.
-Rick

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Yorktown and Old Joe Krantz are my two favorites, followed pretty closely by Billy Budd and Bijou.

Yorktown didn’t immediately trigger me as a good blend...but pretty quickly became a favorite as a straight VA.

Old Joe is strong and stout, gives me hiccups. Love it.

Billy Budd is loads of dark flavors, piles of dark flavors. Stinky in a good way.

Bijou is a nice Va/Or, but on the mild side. Sometimes i wish there was a little more body, but its all around tasty.

Reactions: docpierce

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I have mostly smoked the plain as well since I’m still new to the hobby. I have two tins of Carolina red flake. I’m looking into interlude next. I will have to try those others you’ve mentioned! Thanks friend.
-Rick
You're welcome. If you have been smoking more plain tobaccos and enjoying them (like I do), you might find those other two you are thinking of trying to have a little too much flavor, if that makes any sense; in other words, they are too busy with not enough focus on the the flavor of the tobacco. You may want to instead put Santee in your SP cart and start with that. Frankly, it's the only topped tobacco I can tolerate, and in fact, it's rather good and you can actually taste the tobacco. It almost seems like they blended this with that intention as the virginia comes through far more than the sort of citrus topping does, which is unusual for an aromatic.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I plan on getting some for the sole purpose of cellaring it for later. Of course I will probably have a bowl as I jar it. ?
I’m learning that every time I jar something, I want to smoke some. Maybe next time I will that way I don’t have to cram as much inside the jar. I like your idea... Work smarter, not harder haha

Ivanhoe

Lurker
May 15, 2020
Cornell and Diehl has been my most frequent tobacco supplier for many years. You can see all of my C&D reviews on tobaccoreviews.com under the name Ivanhoe. The two that really stick with me still, though, are Pegasus and Yale Mixture. Yale was my go-to default smoke for many years, but it is difficult to get in Japan where I live now.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.