PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
What are some of your favorite standard run cornell & diehl tobaccos? I have only tryed 2 and one was the biggest klinker (john marr) i ever tryed and went straight into the trash after 2 bowls. The other was autumn evening. It was just ok which is a shame because i love maple syrup and really wanted to like it. So i have steered clear of trying more tins. What are your thoughts with tins being 15% off on S.P.com?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
What are some of your favorite standard run cornell & diehl tobaccos? I have only tryed 2 and one was the biggest klinker (john marr) i ever tryed and went straight into the trash after 2 bowls. The other was autumn evening. It was just ok which is a shame because i love maple syrup and really wanted to like it. So i have steered clear of trying more tins. What are your thoughts with tins being 15% off on S.P.com?
The CD blends I have tried didn't sit too Well with me. They were mainly Va /VaPer blends. So, I decided to go latakia blends with the sale going on. Hopefully something I got I will enjoy.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Three Friars is one of my all-time favorites. I also recommend Opening Night for Virginia’s, and Old College if you want a good English Aromatic.

I’m surprised to hear you didn’t like John Marr. I’m not much of an aromatic smoker, but I really enjoyed a tin of it.
All i got was a roll your own cigarette taste and smell. It just wasn't for me in any way shape or form.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
C&D is renowned for burley blends, but many find them harsh and cigarette-ish. I love them, especially:

Haunted Bookshop
Old Joe Krantz
Old Joe Krantz Blue (formerly Burley Straight)
Speakeasy (VA, Perique, Kentucky Dark Fired)

I haven't tried John Marr, but burley and orientals can be really offputting. I like those mixtures sometimes, because they taste like really good cigarettes, but they're not for everyone.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Most of their blends strike me as a bit more "coarse" than other brands. I don't really care much for their straight Virginias, with the exception of Yorktown. But, I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed Bayou Morning. The very tasty perique doesn't hide, but shines like the sun on a Ba... well, you get it. Billy Budd and Habana Daydream are both excellent cigar blends.
Star of the East is also very good. I have favorite Balkans from other manufacturers, so I won't be adding any to the cellar, but I enjoy it on occasion for it's sharpness and clarity. I do have a tin of Rajah's Court ageing as I've read that with a year or two on it, it starts to resemble my beloved Dunhill Durbar.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Star of the East is also very good. I have favorite Balkans from other manufacturers, so I won't be adding any to the cellar, but I enjoy it on occasion for it's sharpness and clarity. I do have a tin of Rajah's Court ageing as I've read that with a year or two on it, it starts to resemble my beloved Dunhill Durbar.
I forgot about Star of the East. I’ve only tried the bulk version, not the flake. I like it, too. Not as complex as some other Balkans, but there’s something to be said for straightforward blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm notoriously thrifty, but I wouldn't throw anything away on the first try. Next time jar it and try it again in a year. I've smoked some total clunkers that were delightful months later. I know it sounds dodgy, but I think it is not unusual for many pipe smokers. I'm a big C&D fan going back to when they were in North Carolina. They are a force for bringing burley from a codger tobacco to a premium blend base and/or condiment. A few favorites for me are:

Billy Budd
Old Joe Krantz original
Bayou Night (that I disliked on the first round, now like)
Riverboat Gambler
Stratfordshire
Tuggle Hall

I'm mostly a non-aromatic smoker, though I've begun again with those as a change of pace. I'm a devoted burley smoker, so it depends how you do with that; some can't taste it, some find it revolting, but many like burley best, like me.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I'm notoriously thrifty, but I wouldn't throw anything away on the first try. Next time jar it and try it again in a year. I've smoked some total clunkers that were delightful months later. I know it sounds dodgy, but I think it is not unusual for many pipe smokers. I'm a big C&D fan going back to when they were in North Carolina. They are a force for bringing burley from a codger tobacco to a premium blend base and/or condiment. A few favorites for me are:

Billy Budd
Old Joe Krantz original
Bayou Night (that I disliked on the first round, now like)
Riverboat Gambler
Stratfordshire
Tuggle Hall

I'm mostly a non-aromatic smoker, though I've begun again with those as a change of pace. I'm a devoted burley smoker, so it depends how you do with that; some can't taste it, some find it revolting, but many like burley best, like me.
My dislike of this blend was so thorough that I didn't want to stick it in a jar for years and forget how it tasted and stick it in one of my pipes ever again. I have blends i didnt care for out of the gate jared up. Others i have passed along that i didnt care for. It happens they cant all be winners. Thanks for the blend recommendations everyone ill look into them tonight.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
It is funny, I was contemplating this question this morning when I got the SP email about the sale. Since I have been heavy in both the cellaring and “give this blend a try” mode lately, I thought “what C and D blend(s) do I need to go deeper and what do I need to still try?” After perusing the 225 tin selection, I still have not placed an order (yet?). I have tried a great many of these blends. Surely, has anyone tried them all? The one blend that may be in my top 25 is Bayou Morning Flake. I believe that it, hands down, wins the strong (lots of Perique) VaPer category. Yorktown and Opening Night are VA that are worth having but, my jury of one is still out on these 2. They are okay, but not great fresh (younger than 1 year). I am vested in C and Ds oft stated promise of “these should age well”. Autumn Evening is their best selling aro. It is okay but, not necessarily a “heavy cellar” item. Star of the East (all the varieties) are decent in their category. However, there are competitors that, I love and have (will) gone deep. I believe Red Stag is their best English. It is not even in the discussion of best English. Somehow, I don’t think that it is a major selling blend for them (not offered everywhere) and won’t be available for the long run (just my supposition, no knowledge).
I realize there are many folks that have their favorite in the C and D stable. Black Frigate, Haunted Bookshop, the Billy Budds, the Burley Flakes, and many more are forum members faves. This morning, I realized that, I can not say the same.
C and D does produce some of my favorites for other companies and/or under other brands. For me, this is where their strength lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.