PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I decided to ring in the new year by trying out some Pirate Kake by Cornell and Diehl. While I do enjoy latakia I have never smoked a lat bomb before. I honestly was not too sure whether I was going to really like it or not. Tin note was nice. Very pungent and full of leathery goodness. As I'm sure you can gather from the name it comes as a crumble cake. I rubbed it out and packed a bowl in my Savinelli mattone prince and stepped outside to light up.

It didn't feel like it was particularly wet, but it took me a few attempts after my charring light to really get my pipe going. However, once it was lit it stayed that way. I was immediately hit with some STRONG earthy, smokey, woody flavors as well as a very smooth herbal, almost incense like taste that ended with tongue tingling chili like spiciness. The flavors work really well together to deliver something quite unique and leaves a very pleasant aftertaste in your mouth. I sucked that bowl down way faster then I thought I would, but It burned cool the whole way through. The flavors were consistent for the entire duration of the smoke so while overall flavor is great there is no real complexity. I'm not really sure where the nicotine level is on this. It wasn't strong, but it wasn't weak either, so I guess somewhere in the middle?

This is a good blend. I don't think I could smoke this everyday, but I could easily see it being in weekly rotation. If you are at all curious I would say give it a shot. If you don't like I'll gladly take the rest of your hands.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I decided to ring in the new year by trying out some Pirate Kake by Cornell and Diehl. While I do enjoy latakia I have never smoked a lat bomb before. I honestly was not too sure whether I was going to really like it or not. Tin note was nice. Very pungent and full of leathery goodness. As I'm sure you can gather from the name it comes as a crumble cake. I rubbed it out and packed a bowl in my Savinelli mattone prince and stepped outside to light up.

It didn't feel like it was particularly wet, but it took me a few attempts after my charring light to really get my pipe going. However, once it was lit it stayed that way. I was immediately hit with some STRONG earthy, smokey, woody flavors as well as a very smooth herbal, almost incense like taste that ended with tongue tingling chili like spiciness. The flavors work really well together to deliver something quite unique and leaves a very pleasant aftertaste in your mouth. I sucked that bowl down way faster then I thought I would, but It burned cool the whole way through. The flavors were consistent for the entire duration of the smoke so while overall flavor is great there is no real complexity. I'm not really sure where the nicotine level is on this. It wasn't strong, but it wasn't weak either, so I guess somewhere in the middle?

This is a good blend. I don't think I could smoke this everyday, but I could easily see it being in weekly rotation. If you are at all curious I would say give it a shot. If you don't like I'll gladly take the rest of your hands.
This blend is made for the saltiest of buccaneers so beware. ☠️ ☕

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
For a 75% Latakia blend, it’s very smooth and creamy with a hint from the east. That’s called good blending. I’ve had blends with half that amount of Latakia and all you taste is Latakia. Not overly complex like someone said, but you know your smoking quality tobacco and the guy that blended knew what he was doing. One of my favs.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I scored PK at 150/163 based upon the standard attributes of the genre, it's mechanical properties and overall cost. This equated to like a 3.4-ish subjective assessment. Although I really like PK, I found it a little racy at times and the overall enjoyable complexity which I highly value was a little reduced by the heavy Latakia content. If you like PK, C&D Byzantium or Sutliff Heavy English will give you that same heady ride/feel.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Well, my tin that I ordered from SP arrived today. I found this review after I ordered it.
I’ve got a few tins open I want to finish before I open the PK, but based on the reviews, I’m thinking I will enjoy it. I’ll chime in once I smoke a few bowls.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I still get Pirate Kake and Black Frigate confused; they both get smoked in the same pipe so it's not a problem. Good stuff wither way.
Haha, this is from review #12 in the thread and for the first 11 I absolutely was thinking about Black Frigate and kept thinking to myself, "hmm...I didn't remember it being that latakia heavy or having that lack of complexity." Thank you for admitting I'm not the only one who has trouble keeping these two straight! I have jars of both somewhere, maybe I'll scrounge them up to spark my memory for each of them.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Never tried it and never will. All Latakia blends taste the same to me unless the Lat is at around 30%.

I have had straight Latakia, interesting observation which is corroborated by others here and elsewhere is that Latakia seems to have a critical mass type effect. Up to 30% it is good as a dominant condiment, 30-50%+ it becomes - for me - a tire fire bomb, and then for some reason it seems to mellow out, all the way up to 100% Latakia which I found became a sweet, smokey oriental. GLP wrote somewhere that the effect of Latakia depends heavily on the other leaf in the blend.
Don’t like C&D blends, but it Byzantium is one of only two that I enjoyed.