PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have one on the shelf to try and will get to it at some point. I have found I'm in the camp that favors Latakia. I also found that one of my favorite blends tried so far is Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. I wish I could give details about how it compares - maybe someone else knows?

Cheers

FALaholic

Might Stick Around
Jan 15, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Bought a pound of it and really enjoy it. Starting to get quite a few of the Latakia blends, and I’m concerned about them loosing Latakia flavor from aging.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
They soften after several years. Another issue of concern is that some smokers totally lose their taste for latakia.
I keep reading that many lose their palate for latakia, but right now, English blends with it are the most smooth, creamy & gentle on my palate. I'm still trying to figure it out, but some blends immediately give a harshness that is unpleasant and irritates slightly throughout the bowl. Had that a little bit with a bowl of "Best of the Rest" English I tried last night. Went to Old Dublin and was smooth as could be ... I am thinking it's the type of Virginia in the blend? I've got to do some detailed searching to figure it out.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
They do soften, but the Virginia present in most of them changes too. I have some 965 tins with between 5-10 years on them that are very tasty now. The change from when they were fresh is remarkable.

Reactions: FLDRD and stogie37