PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They stopped producing the pound bricks of it when Laudasi bought the company, but back then you could get them for $28.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The only C&D blends I have are Christmas blends, Corn Cob Pipe, Jolly Old St. Nicholas and Golden Days of Yore. I have 40-45 different blends in my rotation and unopened cellar, only three C&D...I need to start shopping.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
I am a Va and Va/Per smoker and I keep trying new C&D blends in hopes that I find one that I will enjoy. I have almost given up even though I find opening night tolerable. The rest all taste like earth to me, even the very highly reviewed Carolina Red Flake. So many reviews say it tastes like Christmas Cheer ( one of my favorites ) but to me just dirt with virtually no sweetness. I cannot understand this because I like just about everything else put out by everyone else? Is there anyone else who has this same problem with C&D?

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I can't say I'm a C&D fan either, my palate gravitates toward the European blenders much more.

I do like Autumn Evening when I'm in the mood for a sweet aromatic smoke, but that's about it.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
My personal C&D favs (in no particular order):
Orion’s Arrow

Five O’Clock Shadow

Pirate Kake

Morley’s Best

Haunted Bookshop

Briar Fox

Bayou Morning (the veritable Mike Tyson perique punch!)

Star of the east (regular & Gold)
I’m still less than 2oz into Black Frigate so the jury is out, but it’s looking like it’ll make the cut.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
A lot of their blends made me nauseated, but after talking with them at The NOLA pipe show a few years back found that the blends I was having trouble with contained dark fired Kentucky, and they offered a few suggestions. My favorites now from C&D are Bijou, Yorktown, and the awesome Carolina Red Virginia. Pete’s Beard Blend under the Briarworks Label is a tasty Latakia blend too.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Greenmtnsmoke:
I am a Va and Va/Per smoker and I keep trying new C&D blends in hopes that I find one that I will enjoy. I have almost given up even though I find opening night tolerable. The rest all taste like earth to me, even the very highly reviewed Carolina Red Flake. So many reviews say it tastes like Christmas Cheer ( one of my favorites ) but to me just dirt with virtually no sweetness. I cannot understand this because I like just about everything else put out by everyone else? Is there anyone else who has this same problem with C&D?

Eerily close to my experience with C&D. I have at least a dozen blends in jars that I'll pull a bowl from every once in a while. They are enjoyable but it's always one and done, back to the cupboard.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you were used to smoking McClelland Virginias, or Rattray's, Sam Gawith, Germain's Virginias you're not likely to be satisfied with C&D. From what I've tried, their VA and VA/Pers are a bit flat and simple in comparison to the other makers I've just mentioned. Maybe their Virginias need longer in the tin or more aging before being used for blending. Maybe they need Mike McNeil to control their processing. Or maybe their way with Virginias isn't pleasing to some smokers like you and like me. We prefer something they're not doing. That's probably why C&D represents less than 1% of what I've cellared.
I do think that the Carolina Red Flake has some real promise down the road, assuming that it doesn't grow a beard in the tin. Christmas Cheer it isn't, nor does it need to be. I don't find Virginias to be their strength, as much as I love Yorktown. From what others tell me, C&D offers great burley blends, that that's where the real gold is. I'm not much of a burley smoker, so I can't comment.
Regardless, a lot of folks really like what C&D makes, and what else matters? So to each his/her own. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D is to burley blending what McClellands used to be to Virgnia leaf, in my book. I faced C&D's move to S.C. from N.C. with trepidation, but Jeremy and company there have maintained the blends and seemingly (to me) mellowed a few in a good way. Before and after the move, I haven't tried anything that wasn't at least interesting, and mostly they are good to excellent. It would be a long list of recommendations for me beginning with Old Joe Krantz original; Billy Budd; Big and Burley; Shropfordshire (!); Bayou Night; Black Frigate; Riverboat Gambler (one of the less-known blends); Tuggle Hall 965; and others. If you aren't much on burley, you probably aren't so much on C&D since that is their trademark leaf. If I recall, sable' is more of a Virginia smoker, so I wouldn't expect him to get much joy from C&D.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
If you're mostly into Lat blends you should consider GL Pease. Yes, made by C&D, so there shouldn't be supply issues. In general, I find C&D blends to be a little rough around the edges. I like this quality, but the GLP stuff is generally a bit more smooth and 'elegant.' My throat can no longer handle C&D's full-on burley blends. Of the 30 or so blends of theirs I've tried my favs are Epiphany, Pegasus, Star of the East, Redwood (technically, Two Friends), Night Train.

Sep 18, 2015
I’m definitely a fan of their Burley blends and Opening Night works quite nicely for me, I haven’t tried many of the aro offerings other than a few of the holiday releases, when I’m in the mood for Latakia I will typically look toward GLP first.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
These are blends that I smoke regularly. Though Black Frigate is not on my list its a good blend and you should heed the call of its crew.
Dreams of Kadath

Mad Fiddler Flake

Bluegrass

Kajun Kake
GlPease:

Jackknife Plug

The Vanilla Cream

Sixpence

Fillmore

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
C&D is to burley blending what McClellands used to be to Virginia leaf, in my book.
C&D makes the Pease line so I am hopeful thay can come up with a solid virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.