PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I love my cob. I also think they're underrated. If I could only have one pipe, would it be a cob or a briar? It would be a briar. But cobs have their place. If your wallet's not fat you shouldn't be excluded from the club; cobs should exist if only for that reason. Also, they have a rustic charm. They remind me of a Norman Rockwell painting.
If I was a Lord living in a manor house with a brace of Dunhills and Tom Sawyer wanted to share a smoke on the upstairs balcony with his cob, he would be welcome. I could teach him how to tie flies and he could show me how to catch grubs. He'd trade me a cob he'd whittled and I'd give him a Dunhill I'd inherited, and we'd smoke them both together happily. We're all in this together.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Cobs do seem to get a lot of love here.
Which is why I now have a bag of seconds and a forever stem on the way!

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I walked into a pipe and tobacco b&m with my cob, and the shop keep asked me if I was in for an up grade. So I bought two more cobs and a tin of Common Wealth.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I walked into a pipe and tobacco b&m with my cob, and the shop keep asked me if I was in for an up grade."
Now that's funny!

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I would love to see the results of something like a 'blind tasting' comparing cobs with briars and meers. I'm not about to claim that most smokers wouldn't detect some kind of difference, but I'd bet that lots more smokers would be surprised by their fine smoking qualities if they were somewhat more objective.

I've said in other threads that I've smoked Dunhills and other fine briars, but I derive at least as much smoking pleasure from an MM cob.
How would that work? A pipe/Pepsi contrived "glory-hole" of sorts? Say a wall of plywood with 2-3 forever stems poking through (so all have an indistinguishable stem and 3 different pipes on the other side of the wall...say a cob a meer and a briar? Why not throw a brylon in there and make it an even 4? I also suggest tamping-gnomes on the bowl side of the wall to keep all flowing and burning smoothly. But this will never happen because none of us can agree on a tester tobacco, even the codger blends are heavily disputed.

:lol:
On another topic, all I own is a cob (so far) so you can throw me in there for heavily biased cob love. However I have my first briar ready to arrive any day. That being said though, I ordered two other cobs with it. Preference? How would I know... Fits my budget? Hell yeah.
:clap:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In a snobby mood, I once said that smoking fine tobacco in a cob is like eating steak on a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork.

The response I got was, "It's still steak." :lol:

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I'm still new to this but I haven't been able to detect much of a difference in flavor of a tobac in a cob versus briar. However, the briars that I own are heavily used estate pipes and that might have something to do with it. I always get a cool smoke from my cobs and they don't need fussing with- just a regular cleaning as all pipes need. My briars? I am always adjusting the pack or the light...dealing with gurgling or worrying about charring the rim, scratching the bowl or letting it rest enough. Cobs let me get down to enjoying the smoke experience more easily. Again, a more thorough experiment might be to start with a new pipe and evolve together with it. However making that kind of investment into a pipe that may not be ideal just doesn't fit my life right now.
I have a bag of extras from MM and invested in a few 'nicer' cobs and they make me happy. I smoked a bowl in my General McArthur cob the other day- pure bliss. It's all a matter of preference.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
chops said:
"I smoked a bowl in my General McArthur cob the other day- pure bliss."
I've been thinking about ordering a Mac from MM. Which would you recommend - the bent polished or the straight natural?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I definitely would say cobs are underrated. I've had a few here and there and I've never had a bad smoke with them. They're not a regular in my rotation but, I don't deny the fact that they smoke very well.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
yadan-

Which would you recommend - the bent polished or the straight natural?
I have the straight version. Another thing I love about the cobs is their lightness, and therefore comfort, while smoking. I think you would be good with either the bent or straight in terms of how it will sit on your jaw. The rest is just about looks.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
+1 simnettpratt! I think you've got it right, my friend. We are absolutely all in this together.

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
I am pretty new to this so my opinions may change, but my take on cobs is:
I enjoy smoking them

they are cheap and as a new pipe smoker this allows me to have several pipes

they are light and this makes for a comfortable smoke if I am doing something while smoking

they are easy to smoke, they don't require a breakin, but smoke better after a break in

I prefer to change the stems with the forever stems

I don't like the filters, I would rather run a pipe cleaner through it than store moisture in the pipe

They are perfect for strong aromatics so I don't ruin a briar
Than being said I really enjoy a nice long relaxing smoke with a virginia in my peterson

Status
Not open for further replies.