PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
I love my corn cob pipes, I have 6 that i use daily. I tend to reach for them more than my briars, apart from my 2 petersons and a couple i have that just are a marriage made in heaven with certain tobaccos. I wouldnt be without my cobs. The other 5 i own i use for when a new order of tobacco arrives.
BIG UP THE CORN COB WHOOP WHOOP!

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
yur a smart feller...
i too reach for my nasty old cobs most of the time, to the warden's dismay...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I admit to rating them pretty far down the scale myself. To me a corncob is a cheap, utilitarian smoke. It's not something to collect or treasure. I have one, compared with 40+ briars. I understand the old-timey appeal, but to me they are what you smoke if you're sitting on a boat in the middle of a lake and you don't care if your pipe falls overboard.
Bob

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I think my next purchase will be a bag of MM seconds.
Can you still purchase "forever stems" from Walker Briarworks?
I think I'd be set after that

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, to you maybe there is not a better smoking pipe than a cob which is fine, but to thousands and thousands of pipe smokers they are not very good smoking pipes.
I think cobs have their place, fishing, camping, doing stuff. But they are not a substitute for a well made briar or meer.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Yes, foreverstems are still available and, in my view at least, make a big positive difference. The big weakness in a cob isn't the bowl but rather the stem. Otherwise I love them and smoke them with the same happiness I smoke my briars. They don't need a break/in to smoke well, but do smoke better broken in IMO.
At the end of the day, it's apples and oranges. Two different smoking experiences, both of which can be very pleasurable in their own way.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Corncob pipes on a hot summer day are the way to go for me. Not so much in cold or milder weather though. :puffpipe:

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"I admit to rating them pretty far down the scale myself. To me a corncob is a cheap, utilitarian smoke. It's not something to collect or treasure."
"... but to thousands and thousands of pipe smokers they are not very good smoking pipes.

I think cobs have their place, fishing, camping, doing stuff. But they are not a substitute for a well made briar or meer."
I would love to see the results of something like a 'blind tasting' comparing cobs with briars and meers. I'm not about to claim that most smokers wouldn't detect some kind of difference, but I'd bet that lots more smokers would be surprised by their fine smoking qualities if they were somewhat more objective.

I've said in other threads that I've smoked Dunhills and other fine briars, but I derive at least as much smoking pleasure from an MM cob.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yes, foreverstems are still available and, in my view at least, make a big positive difference. The big weakness in a cob isn't the bowl but rather the stem. Otherwise I love them and smoke them with the same happiness I smoke my briars
Awesome,
So, if i bought a bag of seconds... would one of the forever stems (for the filtered variety) fit one, or most, of the cobs?
Am I correct that most of he MM cobs take a filter, and thats the style of forever stem I should go for? (Even though I plan to use them filter free)
Sorry for jacking this thread a little. I am a little excited to see what cobs are all about.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
To me, smoking a cob can't be compared to smoking a briar, or a meer for that matter.
They are completley different experiences. Not saying that one is better than the other, just depends on personal preference.
If someone held a gun to my head and made me choose cob or briar for the rest of my life...i'd go with briar.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"To me, smoking a cob can't be compared to smoking a briar, or a meer for that matter.

They are completley different experiences. Not saying that one is better than the other, just depends on personal preference.

If someone held a gun to my head and made me choose cob or briar for the rest of my life...i'd go with briar."
If someone held a gun to your head, he's most likely be some fanatic from the California Legislature telling you to stop smoking both the cob and the briar...

Dec 24, 2012
I have a few cobs. I use them for aromatics sometimes because I don't want to ghost my briars. I also use them when I'm cutting the grass or having a smoke in the pool or hot tub - basically, anywhere i don't want to risk damaging a good briar. They do a fine job for what they are - and certainly in my view do as good of a job and probably much better than any basket pipe available these days. But let's be honest, though a good value, they don't hold a candle to a really fine briar pipe. A moped is good and economical transportation - it gets you from Point A to Point B and is even fun to drive once in awhile - but it's still a moped and who wants to be seen driving a moped.

joshwolftree

I have three rotations going. My briars, meer, brylon, and the clay cutties are the relaxing around the house pipes.

4 of the small clays from P&C's are in a jar with a pouch of Troost Aro Cavendish next to the bed for that quick smoke before sleep, on waking up or on those occasions when I need to cover up the smell of her Camel menthols in bed.

Then I have 20 cobs from MM Bag-o-seconds that are my toss in the pocket to smoke when I'm out.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I think my next purchase will be a bag of MM seconds.
Can you still purchase "forever stems" from Walker Briarworks?
I think I'd be set after that
Gray, when you order your cobs order a few extra "Danish" stems, you can get them straight or bent and they will fit your filtered cobs. I have found these to be a much better feeling stem IMO and they much more durable and are only 50 cents a piece.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Corn cobs have been my most frequently grabbed pipes. Just love everything about them, kinda like preferring a jeep over a Mercedes.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I admit to rating them pretty far down the scale myself. To me a corncob is a cheap, utilitarian smoke. It's not something to collect or treasure. I have one, compared with 40+ briars. I understand the old-timey appeal, but to me they are what you smoke if you're sitting on a boat in the middle of a lake and you don't care if your pipe falls overboard.
I'll second that. The thing I really do enjoy a cob with is a codger burley in the summertime,it just seems right. But for serious smoking- nope.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Corncobs underrated? Apparently not around here.
I have one but never smoke it. I much prefer briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.