PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Part II
Dismantling and filling the voids with all natural wood putty and using a Ream-N-Kleen reamer to cut the cake back to allow for a longer smoke.
This is a three stage process where I allow the wood putty to set overnight then inspect to ensure I've filled all the voids, if not I will repeat the adding of the wood putty to any other voids I've found then allow it to set for 24 hours and inspect for shrinkage. If there is any shrinkage I will apply the wood putty once more and also another 24 hours and inspect for the need to add more wood putty, generally there never is.
Once everything appears to have hardened and stabilized I will remove the shank and apply glue to both the interior of the shaft hole in the bowl and the shaft itself then assemble, align and allow 72 hours for the glue to dry and cure before I have my first smoke. During the smoke I will check to ensure there is no leakage and if there is the tobacco will be removed and the area(s) where the leak occurs will be attended to then the pipe will rest for the appropriate period depending on what was used to attend to any leak.
Here is what it currently looks like after being disassembled and the first round of wood putty added and bowl reamed.

banjo
55a2578462573e3a2c5daaad44cdd48d3863606.jpeg

3db3534e4be25e8ee3c32b9bdff086d4e9dd2f5.jpeg

5fb25f94ef51fee6222d805f85e918656f98255.jpeg

pappap

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2016
Tinsel ,You can't go wrong with the Little Devil Anse ,I bought one and it smokes like a charm good for clenching

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
smokeyeweb, there is no need to rehydrate a retired cob. I purchased one when it was 99 years old, I have other old ones as well but this is the oldest. The pipe had never been smoked and the wall thickness is less than what we get today from MM. It is approaching 102 years old and while I don't smoke it like I do my other cobs I allow it to rest for long periods since the cob felt more like wood and I treat it like one of my briars.

banjo
54235e1b4ffb5d8fe2982414d0c1b69fb5838e1.jpeg

Reactions: Fooberticus
Status
Not open for further replies.