PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I smoke my briars when I want to show off. When I want a good smoke, I smoke a cob pipe.
And I have lots and lots of stems. I'm lazy about cleaning them. I just swap out stems and keep smoking the cob pipe, finally cleaning the pipes and stems later when I'm about out of stems.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
ID love that! I lost my diplomat, but it was my favorite smoker. Now my legend with the Vulcanite freehand stem has taken its place as my work horse.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I have about 7 or 8 legends, a great dane, a country gentlemen, a washington, and a freehand from MM. They are all great smokers and every one of them sees regular, if not daily use. Probably gonna pick up one of those new devil anse cobs soon, as well.
One of my first legends, I got a little carried away trying to pick tobacco out of the bottom of the chamber with too sharp an instrument and poked through the bottom of the cob. Learned my lesson, hasn't happened since.
LOVE my MM cobs.

Reactions: Indibill54

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
tinsel, get some hardwood dowel and plug it using Elmers Wood Glue to do the job. Keep it a bit beyond the cob then you can sand it or file it flat then keep the rest of the dowel for the other pipes that aren't wooden plugged.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
As time passes some of the original plaster falls out and the bowl can bulge a little depending on how much cake has built up. I generally ream the bowl every six weeks or so but it gets to the point of needing a more thorough reaming to really get it back to the right thickness so I fill the voids with natural wood putty and rub it in with a rough cloth then I do a really good reaming, the shank is often lose and need to be cleaned, reglued and fill any openings to prevent leakage, this is usually done every six to eight months and smoking after a day's rest to dry correctly it can take a month to six weeks to color the wood putty from smoking to where it looks right again, definitely worth the effort since it is a great smoker.

banjo

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have a couple good cracks in my legend, and always wondered if reaming it would ruin it even more, our cause it to leak. Add if the cake was what was holding the bowl together still. I'm glad I asked, and now I can't wait to see the pictures!

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I hava a few disposable corncocs. They do smoke nicely I have to agree. But they don't look as nice. I wouldn't know which corncob to buy if I were to desire a cob that lasts.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Any of the ones from Missouri Meerschaum will last you a very long time. None of the ones from china are worth anything.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
I just got my first two cobs ever.. Both are Missouri Meerschaum.. A Huck Finn and an Elf Cobbit.. Tried them both and they smoke beautifully. No complaints whatsoever. And for a collective 25$ it's a steal

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have a good fix for cob cracks.
When my cobs start to crack, I start saving some ash from my pipes, mix it with a little bit of water to create a thick pipe mud, and then I smear it all over the outside of the cob, especially in the cracks, and then I wipe off the excess with a slightly damp paper towel. I think the results looks cool, as the cob looks well-smoked and rustic, and the pipe mud fills all the cracks for at least several more months of regular smoking until the cob expands / contracts and cracks again.
I believe the absorbent properties of the cob cause it to expand and contract based upon changes in humidity and temperature, so there isn't much you can do to prevent cracks from forming and re-forming. I just repeat the pipe mud process as needed. I have two MM Washingtons and a Diplomat (my favorite cob) that I've smoked for at least three years or so using this process. They are my oldest pipes, and I believe they all have many more years of use left in them.
I'll post a pic or two later if I remember :puffy:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Lawdawg, I used that method to repair a Dr Grabow that had a huge crack in the shank. I just Dug out some cake from the bowl and shoved it in there. It has held up quite nicely, other than the fact that the stem is kind of loose now. I probably should have banded it instead.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This illustrates that corn cob pipes may be inexpensive, but are not disposable. Once you get one groomed to your habits, they are excellent pipes good for the long haul. It may not be expensive to lose them or burn them out, but it is not a happy day. Keep in mind, 'fish owns a staggering collection of the finest artisanal pipes on earth. Consider how often he grabs his cob.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Just wondering... When you finally decide to "retire" a cob, is there any way to safely rehydrate the corn so you can enjoy the cob as a smoky snack?

Reactions: Fooberticus

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
MSO, I was thinking the same thing. Out of all the nice artisan pipes Fish owns! That really goes to show you what a cob can do!
Yes I'm still patiently waiting for the forever stems to come back. The Freehand vulcanite stem is great, but I prefer acrylic.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Any of the ones from Missouri Meerschaum will last you a very long time. None of the ones from china are worth anything.

Have you tried the ones from China ? Although there is not comparing that stands, still they don't smoke badly. However, they won't last ...

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Here is my old MM Diplomat with its cracks repaired using the pipe mud method described above:
diplomat-600x450.jpg

May 4, 2015
Have you tried the ones from China ? Although there is not comparing that stands, still they don't smoke badly. However, they won't last ...
I personally don't trust Chinese cobs - I don't know what they use to coat/seal/stick them together. As cheap as real MM's are, why even bother to purchase a Chinese cob?

Status
Not open for further replies.