PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

djgilx

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2014
Dover, England
I’m sure most of you know this already but I’ll post it anyway … ?
I saw online that it was possible to buy a special cork dome to stick in the middle of an ash tray. But when I came to order one, none were available.
So I used a champagne cork and some strong adhesive.
In the words of the beaver in Lady and the Tramp - “This works swell!”
(First film I ever saw - in about 1956. It’s still far and away my favourite!!! ?)

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have a wooden ashtray with a fork center that has a testing spot for two pipes. Purely ascetic.

Depending on your personal style, I've also seen empty tobacco time repurposed as ash trays with a wine cork in the middle.

There are a few creative ways to repurpose tins (clocks, storage for odds and ends, display pieces).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those Champagne or sparkling wine corks so closely resemble the corks put in ash trays, I suspect they are sourced from the same place. Like others here, I tend not to empty ashes from pipes by knocking them anywhere. For mid-bowl ash, I merely give the pipe a good shake over the ashtray which gets rid of all the loose ash. When I finish the smoke, i scoop other ash out completely and eventually wipe out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel. I don't build cake by choice, just not my way. But if you like to knock out the ash, the Champagne cork works just fine.

Reactions: Kal

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Until a couple months ago I had a cork in my ashtray that was probably 10 years old. Time, along with ware and tear took their toll, plus an unnoticed piece of burning ash finished it off. I decided to see what I could scrounge up to replace it. About a week later I was walking across the parking lot of Home Depot and my eye spotted something on the pavement. It is some kind of "bumper" I think. Maybe from the door jam of a car? Made of fairly hard but flexible black rubber, about 1.5" long and .75 wide and thick. I took it home, washed it off and put in in the center of my ashtray where it still sets today. Makes a great knocker. I think the secret to using it is no hot ash on it. At lease if I screw up and do get some hot ash on it, my nose should warn me. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’m sure most of you know this already but I’ll post it anyway … ?
I saw online that it was possible to buy a special cork dome to stick in the middle of an ash tray. But when I came to order one, none were available.
So I used a champagne cork and some strong adhesive.
Both good uses! Darn! I just remembered I had a beautiful large green ashtray that would have been perfect for that. Perrier-Jouet, IIRC.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
I used a large cork for a flask that I had. Going to glue small neodynium magnets on the bottom of the cork (it has a metal-ish "top") and the ashtray. I didn't want to spend $5 or more on a cork as a rookie. That's like 2 oz of bulk tobacco to try!

Reactions: Jacob74 and jpmcwjr