PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I use the cork knocker in my ashtray every time I have a pipe. My two dogs are now so used to it they're "trained" to go inside whenever they hear it. If I repack the pipe for a second bowl they look at me confused as to why we aren't going inside. It cracked me up when I realized what they were doing...they could be in a dead sleep but as soon as I knock my pipe out, they're both up and at 'em and ready to go. Dogs are funny in the way they love habits and routine. They'll even come running when they hear me do it if they're out roaming the yard.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
My cat Oscar will jump up on my lap when I'm at the computer smoking a pipe. He'll lay there a while contented and then he'll finally look at me, then the pipe then me again and jump down and walk away. Pets can be a hoot! puffy

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
My wife jumps on my lap when I knocker out my cocker… uhh…

giphy.gif

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Wondering for how long a cork stays clean? I don't use one because I think it would turn black and smelly.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Wondering for how long a cork stays clean? I don't use one because I think it would turn black and smelly.
In my experiance they do turn blackish which is ok with me, but I've never had one get smelly. The real problem with them is knocking out live dottle on them and having them slowly burn up. puffy

Reactions: luigi

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Here's my cork knocker, I use it sometimes as it no longer sticks to the bottom of the ashtray and when it rains, it floats and so on...

Sometimes it's easier to just pick at the dootle with the spoon or titanium golf tee tamper...

PXL_20220529_162722520.jpg

Reactions: Reggie

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I picked up old candy dishes at yard sales, for $1-$2, and RTV a wine cork to the middle. So, for the inevitable crash, I just pull out another one.

Reactions: Reggie

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I use a cork all the time and love it. It is very gentle and keeps my hands clean. I also use a tamper for the same reason. Used to use my finger but didn’t like the black stain and dirty fingernail. I also change my underwear and clothes every day, drink from a glass, and use a napkin. Call me fancy pants.

Reactions: Osirus and Reggie

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
That's an awesome ashtray/knocker @Reggie ! Especially as a car guy myself. In fact I'm going to look for them now on ebay, even though I just made my "last pipe related purchase" yesterday lol...

I ended up buying a few "Size 16" corks from the local Hobby Lobby. 2 for $3. There's no adhesive but they sit in the ashtray just fine and are of decent size. Will work for now. Double sided or mounting tape, hot glue, magnets could be used.

I also took another members' advice and turned one of my old tobacco tins into a "travel" knocker ashtray by trimming the mentioned cork (so I can close the lid) and hot gluing it to the short side of the lid, could also be useful to carry stuff in it on the go: knocker tray.jpg

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
That's an awesome ashtray/knocker @Reggie ! Especially as a car guy myself. In fact I'm going to look for them now on ebay, even though I just made my "last pipe related purchase" yesterday lol...

I ended up buying a few "Size 16" corks from the local Hobby Lobby. 2 for $3. There's no adhesive but they sit in the ashtray just fine and are of decent size. Will work for now. Double sided or mounting tape, hot glue, magnets could be used.

I also took another members' advice and turned one of my old tobacco tins into a "travel" knocker ashtray by trimming the mentioned cork (so I can close the lid) and hot gluing it to the short side of the lid, could also be useful to carry stuff in it on the go: View attachment 148114
I purchased mine off of “THE BAY”. I have since seen several in flea markets and antique stores. Fits the bill for me perfectly. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Osirus
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Here is my cork ashtray that holds two pipes.

It seems fairly common, looks nice, and is definitely functional for ashing and holding various pipe accessories.

I'm curious how many others have the same or a similar ashtray.

Attachments

• 20220530_175407.jpg
    20220530_175407.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 2