PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Come on guys, take your best shot. Great thing is, I don't do it for you but I do like to keep my manly image but my fine beard usually covers me just fine.

IKEA is a fine store, most of CA is furnished by them.

Good. You should keep enjoying your new Falcon, no matter what us jerks think. As far as IKEA goes, I hope I never step foot in that place again. My daughter likes it and we went there to get her a desk. After a couple hours of shopping while navigating the crowds, locating it in the warehouse while navigating the crowds and finally checking out while navigating the crowds, I wanted to sleep for a week.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Falcons came too late. They would have been cool in the 19th century with the Eiffel tower and those early, bicycle-wheeled cars. Now they're just ugly.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
It's a good thing we all don't like the same thing in women or you guys would be out of luck! I don't like how they look but they sure do smoke good.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
I like the way my Falcon smokes, as well. I'm puzzled as how it could be seen as ugly. It has nice classical proportions and graceful lines and decoration, unlike many of the eccentric, goofy, modernistic, freehand designs I've seen in photos.
Yes, the metal stem/shank isn't wood on a Falcon, but the acrylic stems on many (most?) of the pipes admired by aficionados here aren't wood, either. I guess plastic has a higher cachet than metal among experienced pipers.
Falcon pipes do have these things going for them, though, if they lack beauty. They are economical, easy to clean, cool-smoking, lightweight, come in various sizes and designs of briar and meerschaum bowls. They travel well and seem to be manufactured with excellent quality control and uniformity. You can build a seven bowl rotation with a stem for $200-$250, if you go to GQ Tobaccos online.
Sure, I prefer my Peterson, Savinelli, or Rossi when I'm having my morning coffee reading a good book, but the Falcon is a great car and travel pipe. I can't knock it. By the way, Cosmic, I do enjoy your articulate hyperbolic expressions of contempt (tongue in cheek, maybe?) for Falcons.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
The main reason I would even consider a Falcon is that you can get cob bowls for them . . . and briar & meer bowls too, of course. ;)

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Folks seem to think they smoke almost as good as a cob. I'll just stick with my cob.
Glad you like your new pipe, post up a pic or two.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
If your bothered by their looks, why not purchase a Falcon International. It's looks are more traditional and the Falcon bowls fit on the International version. They come with removeable stems. I have three and find they smoke just as good as the regular Falcons. Check out 4Noggins, they sell the International and while your there, check out the solid Falcon Meerschaum bowls.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Where do these pipes originate? When I was a kid I encountered lots of pipe smokers, and it seems they all smoked Falcons.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Posted by judcasper: Where do these pipes originate? When I was a kid I encountered lots of pipe smokers, and it seems they all smoked Falcons.
They were first manufactured in the USA and I believe sometime in the late 50's they moved to the UK, where they've been manufactured ever since.
You may find this helpful http://www.pipesmokerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?806-Some-Notes-on-Falcon-Pipes

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
They were first manufactured in the USA and I believe sometime in the late 50's they moved to the UK, where they've been manufactured ever since.
The timing of that would explain their abundant use in the UK when I was growing up. Maybe Falcons were the only pipes available in the 70s/80s.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I don't have a Falcon yet, but imagine I'll eventually get one to try. Why, since I already have plenty of pipes ? - - Mostly cause of PAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.