PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have been converted. I am a very traditional guy. I like vintage saddles for my horses, cane rod for my fishing, even mature women but...I had to try a falcon after so many told me they were great. I must say, even if I can't stand the way they look, I do like the way they smoke. I do love smoking a fine crafted, wood pipe. I appreciate the art and craftsmanship of an old meer or old Pete but..I am pleasantly surprised at the cool, light smoke I get from the falcon. It is like a Vespa, you don't want your friends seeing you with it but it is fun. I got an estate falcon and. Large sniffer bowl and I couldn't be happier to include this pipe in my rotation. I just don't want anyone seeing me smoking it.

As a kid, I would go to a friend's house, whose dad smoked these metal stemmed pipes. I remember being stopped short seeing the squirrely little gristly man setting in his EZ Boy chair smoking that damned ugly pipe. They were from Michigan, so I just chalked the oddness up there with talking funny and them eating sweetened cornbread (yuck).

I don't think they look new, by today's standards. They do look vintage, but vintage in that still damned ugly category... for me. But, if people like them... have at it. I'll take the Vespa over a Falcon.

There are so many better looking pipes that smoke very well. It'd have to blow my socks off to get me to try one over the millions of more beautiful pipes.

But, maybe I speak too soon. You could get you a big leather mad hatters hat, and long mustache, some googles with extra lenses that flip up, and a metal toy raygun. that would distract everyone from how stupid the pipe looks.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've never smoked one and don't doubt that they smoke just dandy but I've never had the urge to buy one. To me, they look like something you could buy at IKEA.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always been amused and kind of delighted by Falcons, their art-deco-techno oddity, but not so I've bought one. However, my own conversions are many, from Forums recommendations and outright gifts, and a number of gifts from my wife. My conversions have been to small-bowl pipes, churchwardens, Hungarian/Oom-Paul, a bamboo shank, camp carved rustication, and five or six others that don't come immediately to mind. All I can say is, keep an open mind. You don't always know what will appeal to you, afterall. P.S. I admit I don't care who sees me smoking any pipe I own, and I'd happily smoke a MM cob wearing a tuxedo, or any similar incongruity. Folks, including me, need a little jolt now and then; it improves their circulation at no extra cost.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I try to not comment on stuff I don't like. Mostly, they're ghastly renditions of traditional or Danish style pipes. I dislike metal except silver or nickel for bling, as in a fancy spigot.
I admire those who can smoke metal thingies and not be concerned about the aesthetics- at least my aesthetics!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Haters going to hate. At least a Falcon isn't a cob.
Cortez, they are not a PITA to clean. I can guarantee cleaning a Falcon takes a fraction of the time over a briar.
but here's a Falcon broken down.

+1 jpmcwjr, and kudos to people who can smoke corn cobs, without worrying about every thinking that they use outhouses and have hookworm... and thinking them too cheap to actually buy a real pipe... and looking like a part-time pipesmoker just trying something on a vacation that they don't have to buy a real pipe for... or smoking something they found in a Cracker Jack box. Good for them.
Don't let peer pressure get to you. Be you own person. Think for yourself... even if we all laugh at you. It's ok. Don't be a sheep. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was on a board where a number of guys smoked them, always claiming how well they smoked. I was tempted but decided to decide that only quirky Brits on a spare pension smoke them.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Come on guys, take your best shot. Great thing is, I don't do it for you but I do like to keep my manly image but my fine beard usually covers me just fine.

IKEA is a fine store, most of CA is furnished by them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have enough trouble, with racks of pipes, deciding which blend in which pipe, without adding a decision about which bowl on which stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.