PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can't believe it ... Hipsters? Again? Aren't they, as a group, a little too benign to even give a thought to, much less get emotional over?
yeah but they're such an easy target. They're kind of Nickelback many things far worse but nobodies going to really argue for them. And also it's always a popular past time to take the traits you don't like in yourself and find them in someone more egregious about it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Reminds me of this classic cartoon:

View attachment 43990
I think one of the problems with the internet is that people throw out strong opinions and often very poorly informed opinions and that's all we know about them. Where as Todd at work is a nice guy and I already know he's kind of crazy. So his opinion that makes your eyes go a little wide in shock doesn't exist all by it's lonesome but in a context of like an actual person with many more nuances.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
That's fine; some don't like straight pipes. But I am most interested in the "common pygmy" remark. I suspect they are rarer than hen's teeth in Scotland. Do you know the origin of the phrase? And where abouts are you?

“...common pygmy.”

I’m on the Scottish Riviera. Galloway coast, Looking across to Ireland. If you’ve ever seen the the movie The Wicker Man, I live next door to Christopher Lee’s garden.

I think one of the problems with the internet is that people throw out strong opinions and often very poorly informed opinions and that's all we know about them.
I'm a Russian Bot designed to interface with pipesmokers to piss them off in an effort to disrupt tobacco sales in the US. Long live the FDA

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I'm a Russian Bot designed to interface with pipesmokers to piss them off in an effort to disrupt tobacco sales in the US. Long live the FDA
no you're not a Russian Bot, trust me on this we're/they're programed to deny it while also potatingly be obvious bout tic. Must use English Goodly and proper type to blend in with masses. Don't forget to talk about playing apple pie and eating baseball must fit on with populous.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
That's fine; some don't like straight pipes.

But I am most interested in the "common pygmy" remark. I suspect they are rarer than hen's teeth in Scotland. Do you know the origin of the phrase?

And where abouts are you?

Originally from Greek, referring to a tribe of short statured peoples. The "pygmy peoples" of Africa were named after the Greek legends.

I personally believe that the Greek legends were referring to the exact same people groups, as the Greek histories say that the Pygmy tribes lived to the "south of the marshy areas of the far Nile headwaters" which is where large groups of the current pygmy peoples of Africa are found to this day.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
“...common pygmy.”

I’m on the Scottish Riviera. Galloway coast, Looking across to Ireland. If you’ve ever seen the the movie The Wicker Man, I live next door to Christopher Lee’s garden.
Oh, that's it! Not particularly Scottish phrase, then. Thank you.

I can't remember if I've seen The Wicker Man, but I will look it up.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah. 1973. Available on several streaming services.

the-wicker-man

Status
Not open for further replies.