PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I’m a believer in keeping the tobacco in their original tins with few exceptions. One that I want to bring to your attention is the 3.5 ounce Rattrays tins. The tall skinny tins that contain Hal O The Wynd, Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake. They rust on the bottom so keep an eye out if you have any! The C&D and Mcclelland tins rarely if ever have this problem because they are coated.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’ve had and still have a couple of OG and HOTW that are ten years old and haven’t seen this issue. They’ve been stored in low humidity conditions since I’ve had them though.

Reactions: TheWhale13

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
After my bad experiences with older C&D tins I went ahead and jarred all of my Haddo's Delight and am glad that I did. The 8 oz tins from 2011 were starting to corrode at the soldering joint, which is not covered. I don't keep anything from C&D is tins for long term, meaning 10 years or older.

Reactions: beargreasediet

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
No rust issues here but, if I may (while we're on the topic of compromised, or soon to be, tins).... Rummaging through the cellar earlier this week, I noted that three of my tins are getting bulgy. That's especially the case with my one tin of Star of the East Flake, which I'm convinced will someday explode. But Byzantium and even my fairly recently acquired Quiet Nights are starting to swell. Any idea what's going on in there? Fermentation? A colony? Something more sinister?

unnamed (1).jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No rust issues here but, if I may (while we're on the topic of compromised, or soon to be, tins).... Rummaging through the cellar earlier this week, I noted that three of my tins are getting bulgy. That's especially the case with my one tin of Star of the East Flake, which I'm convinced will someday explode. But Byzantium and even my fairly recently acquired Quiet Nights are starting to swell. Any idea what's going on in there? Fermentation? A colony? Something more sinister?

View attachment 187633
it means the tobacco ate some broccoli or beans.

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
After my bad experiences with older C&D tins I went ahead and jarred all of my Haddo's Delight and am glad that I did. The 8 oz tins from 2011 were starting to corrode at the soldering joint, which is not covered. I don't keep anything from C&D is tins for long term, meaning 10 years or older.

I'm just curious; do you actually like Haddo's Delight? I've seen threads were it seems to be despised more than loved. I'm really out of the loop here.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

View attachment 187633
Bulgy is good!! See my post from earlier today - it means your little organisms have done their thing and the tin kept it's seal. Prepare yourself for a treat when you open them!

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Yet another reason I always store good baccy in mason jars or parfait jars. The latter is especially effective, but the mason jars do in a pinch and are a little cheaper. But I honestly don't get why people keep their baccy in tins for several years. You probably won't have any issues, sure. But these tins are cheap things meant to be disposed of; they aren't designed for long term storage. And I've heard enough horror stories on this forum in my brief time here to feel vindicated in this. Good baccy goes into the jar immediately. Every time.

Reactions: edger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm just curious; do you actually like Haddo's Delight? I've seen threads were it seems to be despised more than loved. I'm really out of the loop here.
I really do like smoking Haddo's Delight. It's better aged, as there's a bit of roughness from the Burley that bothers me when it's fresh. But I really do like the flavors of the blend, which is why I have poundage of it.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Humidity is too high.
I’m afraid this isn’t the case. Everything of mine is kept in a humidity controlled environment. These tins that I speak of rust from the inside of the tin where the humidity is significantly higher than the outside air.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Just to be clear. The only tins that I’ve had problems with are the 3.5 oz Rattrays tins, the small Kingfisher rectangular tins(all 7 of mine lost their seals), and Sam Gawith rectangular tins(had about 6 lose their seal out of about 50). Other than that I have never had a problem with any other type of tin, and this is on a sample size of over 1000 tins.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
So far , so good.
I store my tins in sturdy cardboard boxes filled up with moisture absorbing material. No rust.
Our cellar is ventilated, cool, dark and dry. Thank for the heads up, will do the monthly check up tomorrow :)