PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
1981, my teacher smoked cigarette everyday before class in the class. Didn't mind. 1983, my teacher was a pipe smoker. Thought that was cool, but didn't have any interest. 1988, teaching assistant for my English course in college let us smoke in class room during exam. It seems no one cared if someone smoked or not in 80s. Then suddenly, smoke Nazis came out of nowhere and ruined all the fun. I was smoking in bars in 1995. I remember by 1997, smoking in restaurants and bars serving food was banned. It's a cruel world!
However, there are still restaurants where you get shit to eat, Smoke-free, of course............I'm really in your line, dear friend bullet08...........I call this the crab century.........

BuckChickman

Lurker
Jul 23, 2020
Upstate NY
Funny that a generation who is so against being “labeled” that they slap more labels on people then any generation before them. I’d say be a trend setter not a follower and say screw what they think and say.
It's true. Luckily I live in a unique town that kind of attracts unique people. Out of a total population of around 500 five of us are pipe smokers. I think that's probably a higher percentage than the US as a whole.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I was on a plane trip in the '80s when smoking was allowed onboard.
I pulled out my pipe and was very politely told that pipes were a no-no. There were cigarette smokers all around, and to this day I still cannot understand why one would discriminate against pipes when, in my opinion, cigarette smoke is so much more unhealthy and obnoxious.

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
If you’re concerned about reactions of friends and family, I’d say the best coming out is all about context. I knew when acquaintances first saw me smoking a pipe they’d be surprised. I live a pretty healthy lifestyle, I eat paleo, workout every day, do obstacle races, train jiujitsu, etc. But one day I was to go tailgate with a bunch of acquaintances at a Raider game, an occasion where some guys smoke cigars even though they don’t regularly. When I broke out the pipe and fired up an aro, The reaction was more like, “Well, guys smoke cigars at tailgates, that’s kind of a cool twist!” Even better if you can truthfully say “My grandfather/father/uncle loved the pipe, it’s a great way to feel connected to him.” Another good time is camping. Smoking a pipe around a campfire strikes people as kind of a nostalgic, campfirey thing to do. Doesn’t give people the impression you’re a “chain smoking fiend with a disgusting habit.” Ideally, you don’t care, but if you do, context is key.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
This is an interesting thread for me because I feel quite the same way.
Very few people around me know that I smoke a pipe and, when they discovered that, it was like "what the heck?" and laughs etc. plus they call me "Popeye", so it's not something that I'm eager to tell more friends right now.
I would really love to go out clenching some of my best looking pipes but it would be impossible anyways due to corona (it's forbidden to smoke with people around right now). I also think that smoking a pipe outside is quite impractical.
It's quite stupid how society decides what is cool and what isn't. I think there was someone in the hipster community trying to make pipe smoking cool again but it didn't really work, plus tobacco is badly seen by lots of people nowadays, so not something to promote, etc.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Hi all

I’ve bummed a few cigarettes off friends in my time, but never been considered a cigarette smoker and apart from my wife, as far as my wider family are concerned I’m a smoking virgin.
Despite that, I’ve dabbled in pipe smoking (see my introduction post) - and cigars for that matter - but again, apart from my wife, no one knows. This kind of puts a bit of strange pressure on me in that I don’t really know how to ‘come out’ to friends and family as a pipe smoker or indeed whether I should anyway… after all, I see pipe smoking as a solitary activity that I engage in privately to clear my head and ‘take a break’ at the end of the day.

Would love to know if anyone has any thoughts or similar experiences!

Thanks
Nathan
Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Heck, my wife is headed out of town the next couple of days and I'll probably still go out to the garage, sit in my Jeep and listen to some good music - got a little chilly here all of a sudden, but if it's sunny I'll probably hang on the deck with the dogs tomorrow and Sunday and continue pipe/tobacco "practice" out there. So yes, I'm a little self-conscious about it for some reason, probably because I'm such a novice, but it's something that is "mine" in a way and don't have any pipe smoking friends and after both my grandpas had passed away 20+ years ago there is absolutely nobody on either side of my family/extended family who smokes anything.

But I don't invite any of them over to watch me read a book or clean guns or listen to the stereo, etc., lol. I do find it a solitary endeavor and given I'm still trying to "think" while packing, smoking, etc. it's nice to be alone and even though it's not "automatic" it is relaxing and enjoyable.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
As a newer smoker I hadn't really contemplated this too much, but it is intriguing. I was once asked why I began smoking a pipe and I really didn't have a good answer at the time. Now I think I can think of many reasons. But one that may be currently pertinent is that it was a bit rebellious in what I considered was a healthier manner. Had been intrigued with it for a long time, smoked cigarettes for a few months in college several decades ago, so somehow I had the bug for a long time. But when I began smoking the pipe it was a little bit rebellion driven. But it was also kept outside or in my shop where it wouldn't directly effect the family or living residence. I went through a lot of "stuff" with my wife dropping "clues" here and there regarding her disapproval, but I kept after it. I worked hard to clean up after smoking and sort of keep separate clothing, hanging a jacket in different areas, etc. I still do most of those. But as time went by she became more accepting, commenting periodically about the nostalgic memory that the smell elicited of a long gone family member, and how it was somehow comforting. As time passes and she observes my passion with my new hobby that hasn't harmed myself or others, she has become a bit intrigued. Looking at my pipes and tobacco collection, listening to me explain things about it, of which she certainly doesn't give a damn, etc. Point is, I followed my "heart" and desires. Having to separate it entirely from my weekday work life meant it was a solitary hobby. But I've become more comfortable with it, and me. Thus, I don't tell anyone but if someone finds out now it's no big deal. I'm comfortable with it. And I get to go to a little regular gathering of friends tonight (Fridays) who share smoking cigars or pipes and it's all good.

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
Few people know, but it’s because it’s a solitary venture. I don‘t hide it like a preacher hides his gambling habit. But I don’t feel the need to stand on the mountain and shout to the world that I smoke a pipe. In a world where everybody feels compelled to go on Tic Tock and declare to the world any and all personal perversions, that’s a nice contrast.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Wife’s been away for the weekend and other than golf and a little football I’ve enjoyed the alone time with my pipes and tobacco. Put some in jars, smoked some pipes I’ve never tried and worked on my “technique”. Solitary has been the word of the weekend, except for the dogs, of course. My little setter hates anything flame or smoke - very cautious - my old golden wants a pipe!