PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BuckChickman

Lurker
Jul 23, 2020
Upstate NY
As a younger pipe smoker with an agreeable personality I totally understand your question. In our modern age getting labeled a "smoker" carries pretty significant weight, socially. I typically smoke by myself in my backyard but have often thought about bringing the pipe and some vanilla cavendish to a neighborhood block party or similar. If I were you I'd either continue smoking in private (nothing wrong with that) or just light up in front of people, preferably smoking a Latakia-free blend.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
PS- Buck:

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I don’t think you should sweat your “coming out” too much. Some may think your silly and many will be indifferent.
I’ve been smoking one thing or another since I was about 13 so I didn’t think it would be a shock to anyone when I picked up the pipe. But, because of my profession (research psychologist) and the fact that I have taught a few college courses, some of my friends enjoy referring to me as “professor” in a mocking sort of way. My son‘s friends on the other hand like to call me grandpa.
Whatever.
I try not to offend others with my smoking but in the end I just can’t be bothered to worry too much about wether other people approve.

I don’t think you should sweat your “coming out” too much. Some may think your silly and many will be indifferent.
I’ve been smoking one thing or another since I was about 13 so I didn’t think it would be a shock to anyone when I picked up the pipe. But, because of my profession (research psychologist) and the fact that I have taught a few college courses, some of my friends enjoy referring to me as “professor” in a mocking sort of way. My son‘s friends on the other hand like to call me grandpa.
Whatever.
I try not to offend others with my smoking but in the end I just can’t be bothered to worry too much about wether other people approve.
Interesting points made! I’m curious, do your students know about your pipe smoking? Or do they just know you smoke but don’t know what? I only ask as I myself am a teacher but in primary (US read: elementary) school, so it’s a bit different with the children being younger and smoking of any sort to be considered as the bogeyman with the past few generations (my own included).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I didn’t advertise my smoking but I didn’t try to hide it either so I assume many of my students knew. Smoking became prohibited on the university campus but I spent a good deal of time in the parking garage or on the public street in front of my building smoking rather conspicuously.

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Hi all

I’ve bummed a few cigarettes off friends in my time, but never been considered a cigarette smoker and apart from my wife, as far as my wider family are concerned I’m a smoking virgin.
Despite that, I’ve dabbled in pipe smoking (see my introduction post) - and cigars for that matter - but again, apart from my wife, no one knows. This kind of puts a bit of strange pressure on me in that I don’t really know how to ‘come out’ to friends and family as a pipe smoker or indeed whether I should anyway… after all, I see pipe smoking as a solitary activity that I engage in privately to clear my head and ‘take a break’ at the end of the day.

Would love to know if anyone has any thoughts or similar experiences!

Thanks
Nathan
Like you, apart from the wife nobody else knows that I smoke. Pipe and cigar smokers are incredibly rare in the UK now, I’ve never met another cigar smoker in the flesh, so I’m quite content in my solitude (apart from the occasional post on here and Instagram). It does mean opportunities to indulge can be very few and far between but I guess that’s my choice. Years ago I smoked rollies and most friends knew and probably know I vape now. I don’t think I need anyone’s acceptance and will just enjoy when I can.
BTW have Aireys got Bothy Flake in stock ?
All the best from the other side of the Lakes ?

Like you, apart from the wife nobody else knows that I smoke. Pipe and cigar smokers are incredibly rare in the UK now, I’ve never met another cigar smoker in the flesh, so I’m quite content in my solitude (apart from the occasional post on here and Instagram). It does mean opportunities to indulge can be very few and far between but I guess that’s my choice. Years ago I smoked rollies and most friends knew and probably know I vape now. I don’t think I need anyone’s acceptance and will just enjoy when I can.
BTW have Aireys got Bothy Flake in stock ?
All the best from the other side of the Lakes ?
I’m afraid I’m not from that side of the Lakes so wouldn’t know! But I’ll definitely check out Aireys next time I’m up that way!

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
As a younger pipe smoker with an agreeable personality I totally understand your question. In our modern age getting labeled a "smoker" carries pretty significant weight, socially. I typically smoke by myself in my backyard but have often thought about bringing the pipe and some vanilla cavendish to a neighborhood block party or similar. If I were you I'd either continue smoking in private (nothing wrong with that) or just light up in front of people, preferably smoking a Latakia-free blend.
Funny that a generation who is so against being “labeled” that they slap more labels on people then any generation before them. I’d say be a trend setter not a follower and say screw what they think and say.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Interesting points made! I’m curious, do your students know about your pipe smoking? Or do they just know you smoke but don’t know what? I only ask as I myself am a teacher but in primary (US read: elementary) school, so it’s a bit different with the children being younger and smoking of any sort to be considered as the bogeyman with the past few generations (my own included).
1981, my teacher smoked cigarette everyday before class in the class. Didn't mind. 1983, my teacher was a pipe smoker. Thought that was cool, but didn't have any interest. 1988, teaching assistant for my English course in college let us smoke in class room during exam. It seems no one cared if someone smoked or not in 80s. Then suddenly, smoke Nazis came out of nowhere and ruined all the fun. I was smoking in bars in 1995. I remember by 1997, smoking in restaurants and bars serving food was banned. It's a cruel world!