PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
First of all thank you for posting this progress, interesting to see. It almost tickles my fancy to do a @didimauw smoking 1 meer the whole year. Although not as challenging as smoking 1 cheap basket pipe, let's see how much color I can get on it. It won't be much smokes, if pushing it maybe 500.

My rusticated meer also isn't coloring that much compared to how my smooth meer does, the smooth meers shank began coloring quite quick (I think now 100 smokes in or so) where my rusticated one is only coloring beige after not as many bowls where you could see more coloration on the smooth meer. But not complaining, I've smoked my Meers a few times the past week and it really worked for me, if I would smoke 1 pipe it would be a meer for sure.
Yes sadly I failed with my meer year. Thinking about trying it again soon though! I advise everyone to do it! Especially cause I love how meers color!

And it's funny, my carved meer I attempted the year with colors much faster than my smooths. I thought it would be the opposite.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Yes sadly I failed with my meer year. Thinking about trying it again soon though! I advise everyone to do it! Especially cause I love how meers color!

And it's funny, my carved meer I attempted the year with colors much faster than my smooths. I thought it would be the opposite.
The more I think about it the more I want to do it 🤔😏.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The more I think about it the more I want to do it 🤔😏.
It really is fun! My life at the time was screwed up and I caved.

Just watching them change is fascinating. Every one is different. Just gotta start with a brand new one, with lots of pictures!
If my new commission arrives this week, I'll determine if I'll try it again.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Ok now back to the thread! Sorry for the derail!
No worries 😉 I am known to derail my own threads .

Since we were discussing how a meerschaum colors when it does not have a shank. This is latest photo of the Falcon.

It is extremely difficult to get true color under LED. I have tried to edit it to look as close as possible to reality.

FC991CBB-6CA9-4BD2-B261-522313BB05A4.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
No worries 😉 I am known to derail my own threads .

Since we were discussing how a meerschaum colors when it does not have a shank. This is latest photo of the Falcon.

It is extremely difficult to get true color under LED. I have tried to edit it to look as close as possible to reality.

View attachment 180504
Do you have before pics?

Dyakoff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2022
Ukraine
I have written on here before about how the Victorians used to put a silver Six Pence coin drilled with a few holes into the bottom of a meerschaum pipe.
I am actually eager to try this method on one of my new meerschaums coming my way.
Even got myself a 1922 silver sixpence for this reason. Just need to find someone to drill it first :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am actually eager to try this method on one of my new meerschaums coming my way.
Even got myself a 1922 silver sixpence for this reason. Just need to find someone to drill it first :)
You can get sterling silver washers that will fit.

download.jpeg-31.jpg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Not at all. You don't want a hole so small that it restricts the draw.

IMP
View attachment 180759
I agree I bought an old meer that had a washer in the bottom,it appeared to be colouring well.
i tried the coin method and found I had to keep removing the coin after every smoke as the holes would get bunged up with ash/tobacco.
The washewr had to be dug out of the cake built up above it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With colouring bowls
Coloring bowls are a scam. They rob your pipe of the heat and oils that it needs to color.

Is it better to have one larger hole in the middle or 4 smaller holes like on a button
It doesn't matter. The coin just acts as a condenser to concentrate and trap moisture at the bottom of the chamber to aid the meer's absorption.

Reactions: condorlover1