PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
I have noticed that a lot of members posting to the forum are college student and was curious as to what your majors (minors) were and what your after school ambitions are. Who knows there may be other members with real world experience in the exact field you are intending, and who might have tremendous insight. (You can only learn so much from a book).
For those of school, what did you major in? I will start: BA (Major: Chemistry, Minor: Anthropology), MS (Major: Inorganic Chemistry, Minor: Physical Chemistry), Ph.D. (Major: Physical Chemistry, Minor: Inorganic Chemistry)

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Im a second semester sophomore, My major is criminology (not criminal justice) and my minors are gender studies and computer information systems.
I have an internship lined up for the prosecutes office for internet crimes division, with a specialization in internet pedophilia crimes.
My career ambitions are either to do what I am interning in, or go to law school. Police officer is not off the record either at the moment

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I'm about finished registering for my BS in Info Tech. Got my AAS about 10 years ago and figured it was time to finish it up. Although the AAS didn't do anything for me so I don't have high hopes for the BS doing anything for me either other than giving me peace of mind, which is definitely worth something.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'll jump in....
Bachelor of Art; Music Theory and Composition (Piano Primary, and Voice Secondary, String, Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion Pedagogies)

Master of Business Administration

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Im going to a trade school for the culinary arts. After that im not sure. The dream is to have a 24hr cafe/bakery, but that would be a long way down the road

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I will be graduating in May with a BA in Literature and History with a teacher's certification. I will be going to graduate school for Education and Composition and Rhetoric (writing theory). I may possibly go to Law School or study Literature. At this point it depends what school I get into, but I will probably become a teacher working toward becoming a college professor.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
BS in Biology (and i havent declared yet but i am thinking a molecular emphasis) right now. I am done with 2 years and have 2 left to go. After that I will probably go the master/PhD route as opposed to most of my peers who are looking towards med school. I think i want to get into research and potentially even teaching. I currently have an internship at my school working with biofilm formation in cystic fibrosis. I love doing that and couldnt imagine doing anything else... but hey ive still got a lot of time to figure stuff out or change my mind.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Lawrence and umberam3rica, I have always been at awe with those creatively gifted to make and compose music, create amazing culinary creations etc.
Sherlock, being a college professor has been and continues to be a great career (sometimes invigorating other times fustrating, all in all I couldn't imagine doing anything else.). Any thought as to what level? In a two-year or small liberal arts one spends most focus on teaching and developing the level of reasoning formalizm., whereas as the research university most focus is on reseearch, with teaching being the minor part of the academic contract).

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Propar I haven't really decided, but I am leaning toward a smaller teaching oriented school. My emphasis will be literacy development so I will probably teach at both secondary and post-secondary levels.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
bbauer: My department chair is a microbiologist. The Ph.D. program is a wonderful test of endurance. Its the time that you get to push the envelope! As an undergraduate you mostly learn about microbiology, as a Ph.D. student you are doing and innovating in the field. If you decide on pursing a Ph.D. in molecular biology, if possible pick a university known for it. The internship with biofilm formation of cystic fibrosis sounds like a really great experience.
Years ago a chemistry prof I had explained that a scientist was someone still stuck in the rhelm of wonder. While most normal people grow up and get normal jobs, the scientist is sill hiding behind trees playing "cowboys and Indians." By definition you are seeking to know that which is not known.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have a BS in Mathematics and am now a Cost Analyst / Controller in the PetroChem and Energy sectors.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Sherlock: I am a full professor at a two year college in Georgia. My research interests have transitioned from physical chemistry to chemistry education. I am currently interested in cognitive development as it relates to learning chemistry. I have become convinced that for substantive learning to take place greater emphasis has to be placed on the development of reasoning skills, ultimately transitioning a student from an informal thinker resigned to low order cognition to one capable of metacognition. I am likewise interested in the role that the affective domain has on learning and believe it to be nontrivial.
A potential way to establish yourself in both the secondary and post-secondary arenas is to focus on getting established in a secondary level school and then teach part time at a community college. In GA you have to have a masters in the subject area you teach in with at least 18 graduate level credits. A two year school typically looks for a greater understanding of how to teach.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
I am trying to major in psychology (to be more specific, clinical psychology.) I am only a freshman though, haha.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I usually have a lot of BS ;-)
All kidding aside, European degree in what is called here "BA in computer science", a couple of certifications post graduation (PMP, conflict management, etc). Currently seriously considering a..... (drumroll please) Th.M, M.Div or MABS (to stay with the BS theme :rofl: ). The difference is whether I want to add on the languages to get a full Th.M. 30 credit hours of Greek and Hebrew are kinda putting a damper on that.. We'll see.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Lawrence and umberam3rica, I have always been at awe with those creatively gifted to make and compose music, create amazing culinary creations etc.

I wish I could compose music. I'm very good at memorizing songs though. Not just the words buts beats, riffs, intros, basically the whole song after hearing it only a few times. It only works for songs iI like though. I also wish I could play and instrument. I love music. A part of me died when my iPod was stolen

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
BA, Multidisciplinary Social Science, concentration in public policy issues, specifically, the nature of government and its relationship to the citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.