PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've a performance certificate from Berklee College of Music, Boston MA (woodwinds, composition). I played professionally for 10 years, then went back and did a B.Ed, M.Ed, and Ed.D in music and English (double majors) with a minor in statistics at the masters and doctoral levels. I spent 20 years teaching high school: 10 in music and 10 in computer science. Then taught at university and simultaneously ran my own IT company specializing in networking (this was in the 90's so networking was in its infancy!) and am now happily retired! :) But if you want advice, I'm a teacher - I love to tell people what they should do. :)

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
@Mick & Baronsamedi: Anglican actually. Asbury Theological Seminary in Kentucky was my school. Most of the faculty there would have a heart attack if they saw me relaxing after Mass with a Scotch and my pipe. LOL. Actually I'm in the process of gather a bunch of my fellow pipe smoking priest together in a local club to be named the West Liberty Theological Pipesmokers Association.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
@mondernchicago:
Sorry for taking so long to get back on the question regarding cooked meet as an evolutionary spike. If by evolutionary spike you are referring to a significant step in the social-economic development of mankind, then it most certainly must have been. Never considered it before, but given that even the most primitive cultures (Hunters & gatherers) cook their meet, then this development must have occured early in mans prehistory.
If by evolutionary spike, you refer to a macroevolutionary step in the development of man from lesser life forms, as my biology collegues often default to, I am one of the few scientists who has refused to drink the "evolution as fact coolaide" I am more persuaded by a model of intelligent design. That being said, I am not sure how the incorporation of cooked meet fits in. Ultimately I am persuaded by empirical data.
I tend to ramble a bit.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
This is a pretty broad question, but there seem to be a lot of pipe-smoking teachers here so I'll cast and see what comes back..
I plan on using my G.I. Bill starting as soon as fall next year to get back to school with the intention of teaching high-school level history, maybe eventually teach at a college. I've been contemplating my options for a while, but now that it's actually down to the time to start preparing this stuff, I have no idea where to start. Majors, minors, miners (those guys are important).. Just general advice on how to pursue this?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
harrumphicus, I looked into a similar career path many years ago (a path I didn't take).
Following my undergraduate degree, I looked into teaching either at the high school or college level. What I found out is that if I wanted to teach in high school, I needed to take education classes. If I wanted to teach in college, I needed to take history classes. This really turned me off the idea of teaching high school, knowing I'd need to study most about HOW to teach instead of WHAT to teach.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Harrumphicus, each state has different rules for how they license teachers, but generally you want to major in the subject you want to teach and your minor will be some sort of teacher ed program. The course sequence will usually be determined by the education dept because you have to have certain classes to be considered highly qualified in your field of study, basically to meet the standard set by the No Child Left Behind Act. The best place to start is to either talk to the college you want to go to or visit the website of the Department of Education website for the state you want to teach in. Most private schools want you to be licensed, but not all. So if you want to teach at a private school check with the school you want to teach at. Oh one more thing, while it is possible to graduate in 4 years with a bachelors degree and a teacher license it takes most people at least 5, many times 6 years to finish.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I guess I'm a geezer since I'll be 60 in April. BA in Economics, MBA- Finance. Spent my entire career in sales and marketing. My advice to the younger generation: health care, the sciences, accounting. There's always a need in those fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.