PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Title shortened; caps missing. Original:

Coffee. What do you like and how do you like it?

Personally I like lots of different blends but I tend to shy away from most national brands. Currently drinking Stumptown Hundred Mile. Generally I drink it Black no sugar. I do occasionally cheat and have a Oat Milk (I have an issue with dairy) Mocha at Starbucks but I have that as a treat and think of it like getting a milkshake.

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For various health reasons, I'm consigned to decaffeinated coffee, though I prefer "leaded." We used to drink exclusively small local roasters' blends, specially Larry's Beans and Muddy Dog here in our vicinity. They were expensive but distinctive and worth it. Later we dropped back to Chock Full of Nuts, both their dark roasts, and for me, the decaffeinated, but my wife buys other blends online from time to time.

I'm the breakfast cook, so I make the coffee. My wife likes it brewed in a French press pot which involves heating the water in a kettle and stirring when I add it to the ground coffee in the French press.

I'm a real old timer in my preference for stove-top percolator brew, no electric percolator and no filter other than the little metal basket that came with the pot. One time I mentioned this on Forums, and one of the members responded, "Dad, is that you?"

My wife occasionally makes herself expresso. I join her on occasion, but I don't savor that small quantity as much. I need to mull and meditate over my coffee for a while. A little shot of it doesn't do the trick.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
My prederence is, hot, black, and strong.

That scene from "Airplane" just came to mind. :ROFLMAO:

My wife and I tend to get a variety of whole-bean coffees from local roasters. We've standardized on 26 grams of coffee to 400g of boiling water. Half&half isn't quite luxurious enough for this fancy-pants, so I use a small dollop each of half&half and heavy cream. My wife approves when I make her coffee in the same way...

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Personally I like lots of different blends but I tend to shy away from most national brands. Currently drinking Stumptown Hundred Mile. Generally I drink it Black no sugar. I do occasionally cheat and have an Oat Milk (I have an issue with dairy) Mocha at Starbucks but I have that as a treat and think of it like getting a milkshake.
I have a standing order for four two pound cans of Yuban from Amazon, which varies only a little in price each month, at about $25 a month.

I buy 100 Bunn filters a month for $2.

That amount of coffee makes about 100 10 cup pots a month. I waste some of it, and at my office I use about two or three two pound cans of Maxwell House. At the office I offer cream and sugar or artificial sweetener or fake cream to clients, but I take my coffee full strength and black.

But brewing up a little restaurant sized flint glass cup of coffee costs less than 3 cents a cup.

My entire life I’ve heard old men whine, moan, groan and complain about the cost of a cup of coffee in a restaurant. They whined when it went up to a dime, and they moan more now that it’s a dollar.

Go home and brew your own for less than a nickel, is what I’d like to say.:)

Smoking a pipe and drinking endless cups of coffee are the two cheapest vices left in this old sin cussed world to salve a soul against the storms of life.

Few admit that, but it’s so.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Generally speaking, I'm a tea drinker but I also have to have that after-meal espresso shot,and by the weekends I use to make some cappuccinos with my Rancilio espresso machine, sometimes I do use Moka pots or Neapolitan-style flip coffee pot called:Cuccumella Napolitano, favored coffee brand is Passalaqua' which is renowned Italian Coffee roaster based in southern Italy city of Napoli

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I can find enjoyment in most quality coffee in a variety of brew formats.

If I'm home roasting, I stick with light to medium roast and enjoy trying many different origins.

Retail roasts usually are medium to dark (seems to be the most common) and I like trying different companies small or large. There's local roaster that I try different blends throughout the year. I enjoy both unflavored and even occasionally some flavored or seasonal blends.

I'll drip, perc, French press, Chemex or espresso. I typically find myself go through phases where I'll do one for a month or two and then do a different way. I'll use sugar, a vanilla simple syrup I make or unsweetened along with 2% or black.

I even keep a couple cans of Starbucks instant coffee on hand these days when I want a quick cup and don't feel like brewing. They make a surprisingly decent instant blend and it's awesome for early morning or late night coffee. I felt like coffee before bed last night and it's perfect.

As long as it's not bitter or noticeably burnt, I can find enjoyment in lots of variety.