PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
My favorite is Café Du Monde from New Orleans. It has been made the same way since 1862 and has Chicory in it. It is strong the way I make it. 5 big table spoons for a pot. I use some half and half heated to 29 seconds and I put in 5 spoon fulls of Stevia.
I like it strong and sweet and have been drinking it like this for well over a decade.

I use to be a bean geek, with french press, Bodum vacuum press, fancy machine. I ended up back on my DuMonde and been there ever since. If you have any taste for coffee, give it a try.
Have a can myself - picked it up in Chinatown, (my parents had brought me some back years ago from New Orleans). I wondered why it was in Chinatown - turns out that it's a traditional ingredient in making Vietnamese Coffee with condensed milk. Sweet and strong!

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
These old school Neapolitan coffee pots actually make quite decent brew. one can use espresso grind but in this case ,I'd advice to put less coffee in if its finely ground.whereas Filter Grind may not be suitable, being too coarse
View attachment 183842
I've been interested in those pots. But I'm especially interested in that bag of coffee - hoping to pick some up in Napoli this spring.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Black mostly. After tasting, if it’s too bitter, I’ll add a small pinch of salt. It magically mellows.

For years, I took just cream. I was never the sweet coffee type.

Odd though, that I can enjoy tea many ways, including light sweetened. But I never sweeten coffee.

Reactions: JOHN72 and litup

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Chock Full o Nuts, in a French Press. A wee bit of milk or half and half. No sugar.

I believe we could enjoy some coffee together one day.

I buy whole beans and grind them before making a press pot.

The beans vary. I often have the good ol' fashioned Colombian beans but I am always trying new stuff.

Costco has the Kirkland organic Colombian, a decent mainstay. Also Ruta Maya beans. Whole Foods "house" brand, the 365 brand has a few decent options. Their French Roast is good, as well as their Pacific Rim blend.

In between those, I slide smaller bags of interesting local and independent stuff.

I also enjoy all of the fine traditional coffees on occasion. The 8 O'Clock, Chock Full O' Nuts, Cafe Du Monde, even Folger's & Maxwell House.

Like Carol, a teaspoon of half & half is usually what I take.

The only unacceptable option is NO coffee....

1669928490007.png

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I mentioned previously that I like my coffee hot, strong & black... my wife however is a coffee snob connoisseur and drinks hers all sorts of ways.

This morning she made our morning java in her new Techni Vorm MoccaMaster, which is apparently hand made in the Netherlands and supposedly God's gift to home roasters.

She swears she can tell a difference between that and the Bunn. Me, not so much... of course, I was a sailor, so I can drink anything. ☕

20221206_070824.jpg

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
We pick up Peet's coffee wherever we can find it, which isn't too hard. Several years ago, in a stroke of good fortune, my wife who's haunted thrift and consignment shops for decades happened to visit a consignment shop just as they were setting out a new item. She knew it was an espresso machine but upon inspection she noted it was made in Switzerland. It's an Olympia Cremina and one of the better such machines. It's still made in this style after 40 years of production. That this is particular example is older production is evidenced only by the lack of a pressure gauge. They were asking $75. She got them down to $60. I drink it straight black. IMG_7397.JPG

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I mentioned previously that I like my coffee hot, strong & black... my wife however is a coffee snob connoisseur and drinks hers all sorts of ways.

This morning she made our morning java in her new Techni Vorm MoccaMaster, which is apparently hand made in the Netherlands and supposedly God's gift to home roasters.

She swears she can tell a difference between that and the Bunn. Me, not so much... of course, I was a sailor, so I can drink anything. ☕

View attachment 185578
Traditional underway coffee: if the spoon doesn’t stand straight up in your cup, add more coffee grounds.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I pretty much stick to organic Sumatran by One World Roasters. I do have a stock of maybe 10 other single origin beans if I need a departure from the norm. Sometimes light roast Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is a nice bright counterpoint to the thick and dark roasted Sumatran . I’ve had some good stuff out of Guatemala and Kenya recently too. I grind whole beans and French press it. Always drink it black. A relative said I could have their perculator- it’s an old one. So I look forward to trying it as well.

And if I must get a cup from the gas station Columbia is always a safe bet.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Carol
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I enjoy variety. When I was roasting beans regularly, I would usually try different green beans that had interesting descriptions from Sweet Maria’s (beans I haven’t gotten around to roasting below).

IMG_20230205_090836.jpg

For beans roasted by a pro, I like Gimme! Coffee out of Ithaca, New York, quite a bit. Some of their descriptions used to be a bit too space age sounding: tastes like sandalwood and an airy cloud, etc. They’re a bit pricey, but, I used to buy their freshly roasted beans weekly. My home roasts were not as good, but, got close enough at a fraction of the cost, that I didn’t feel like I was missing that much. With one of my home roasters, I usually would just go a little bit into second crack, which would result in a City Plus roast.

I enjoy the mouth feel of French Press—the particulates usually make the coffee more satisfying; but, if the coffee has a lot of nice bright notes, using a vacuum pot will bring more of those out; for variety: two part percolator and Chemex or small pour over that looks like a little Chemex (for single servings).

For my own roasts or a new bean from a roaster, I’ll usually try the coffee black first to get a sense of the taste of the bean by itself, but, my general preference is with half and half, no sugar.

I used to roast regularly at my house in Brooklyn, but, stopped when I moved to an apartment. Now, with a house again, I’d like to get back to roasting—we’re still working on fixing it up, though, so it’s not a priority right now. We mostly drink tea these days.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I take my coffee straight black. At home I use either a stovetop mocha or French press. Always whole bean. Mostly dark and medium roasts. Not set on any particular brand but I try to stay away from the big box stuff with the exception of Pete’s which probably gets the most use. Their seasonal and limited blends are usually good.
Lately I’ve been drinking far more tea than coffee. I take my tea straight too.