PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of my pipe moves were learned as a toddler spending time with my dad who smoked a pipe for fifty years, only maintaining one pipe at a time until the bowl split, and only Granger from a pouch. He packed his pipe with the bowl in the pouch loading with his thumb, strictly on automatic pilot. Out of a jar, I have to use my index and thumb, but the same principles apply. You get the right pressure by feel, so don't jam the leaf in there too hard or too much, firm but not so the air won't flow around the ember. As the man said, easy peasy.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Scoop and stuff. Scoop and stuff. Depending on the size of the pipe, repeat until full, a satisfactory level of "springiness" then good-to-go. Most everything I enjoy is dried to just this side of crispy...meaning the more dry side and it's easy to scoop and stuff with my index finger, then finish off with the thumb as the final gauge for suitability.

ph151

Lurker
Aug 10, 2018
I recently gave this a try my last few smokes. As others have mentioned I found it to be very "instinctual". Only had to relight 2-3 times. I know there may have been some other factors for these improved smokes. I think to much when I'm doing other packing methods.