Codger Gold!! C&D Three Friars: Opinions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Personally, I love it! I have pounds and pounds of this put away. I smoke this at least twice a day, most days more than that. I'm not sure why but when I can't decide what I want to smoke, more often than not I reach for this. Definitely in my top five.
Somehow I knew you'd respond! This blend "seems" to fall under the radar, but it does seem to have quiet support. Thanks for posting!

• Love
Reactions: seanv and RobNYC

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Somehow I knew you'd respond! This blend "seems" to fall under the radar, but it does seem to have quiet support. Thanks for posting!
I couldn't resist. I agree, it does seem to fall under the radar yet be fairly well liked. I was hooked from about my third bowl on. It seems to fit almost any situation and satisfies every time. I really love this stuff.

Bamfdor

Lurker
Jan 10, 2022
Illinois
I am not sure I have smoked enough of it to qualify, but I will say it's about a 5/10 on my scale. Middle of the road blend and taste for me. I have some jarred and will revisit again soon.

Reactions: seanv and edger

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I am not sure I have smoked enough of it to qualify, but I will say it's about a 5/10 on my scale. Middle of the road blend and taste for me. I have some jarred and will revisit again soon.
It tool 6 months in a jar for me to enjoy it when I first tried it. It's still a top 5 maybe a top 3 for me

Reactions: edger

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Also, I know we talk about this as being Haunted Bookshop Jr., but I think it's actually Virginia Gentleman with Perique added. Or at least, it's similar enough that if Three Friars went out of production (heaven forbid), I would try to recreate it with this as a starting point.
TR states Virginia Gentleman has Turkish which Three Friars doesn’t have. Adding perique to Virginia Gentleman may not make them similar enough.

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
I bumped this thread to see what some of our newbs think. I love this stuff almost as much as Derringer!

I'll bump again to reply as I was reading discussions on this blend.

This one has given me trouble, and I'm not sure why. I really do enjoy OJK and HB, and this is similar but having more VA than burley. However, it just doesn't seem to burn great and a lot of times lacks flavor. I've smoked half the oz I got, maybe it needs to age more or I need to let it dry out longer possibly? Who knows how long it was sitting at the B&M store I got it from already, though.

I like the flavor when it is there but something about it lacks body and depth and has a sort of "whispy" smoking quality. I've tried smoking it slower, mixing it, etc etc but overall just seems disappointing to me. I still bought OJK and HB to give them another chance, and they are a lot better. I've read some have trouble with Virginias burning too hot and not being able to taste them properly, that may be what I'm experiencing here.

Last edited:

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I really want to like 3 Friars, and I've been periodically revisiting a jar of it for over a year. But it bites the hell out of me for some reason, so I can't smoke it. I smoke plenty of the other C&D VaBurPers with no problem, but this one hates me. I have the same thing with Yorktown.
I feel like C&D's bright VA is the problem I notice the same thing in Haunted Bookshop and it's the brights no problems with Old Joe Krantz or Pegasus or Exclusive

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I am really enjoying this blend. 6 months in a jar does it wonders.

Three Friars is the lightest of Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz (with OJK being the strongest). I prefer 3 Friars over those two.

And I agree it is not in the same vein as 3 Nuns.

Reactions: yanoJL