PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like most of the ones I've tried to varying degrees. Favorites are probably The Prince and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Even though I enjoy these blends' flavor, I rarely reach for them because they tend to be a bit milder than I like. I'd like to try some of the H&H versions, the Midtown Series.

Even though they probably don't qualify, HH Burley Flake and Watch City Slices seem like a kind of top shelf version of the style.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
American otc. Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic. I like how it’s easy to smoke and I love the taste I got a tub I’m going to crack open once I finish some other blends I got open first. I also really like condor for uk otcs but since I’m in the states i only mention it for the record it’s truely a unique blend.
Condor (plug or long cut) is kind of a bucket list blend for me. I'm like 95% sure I'd love it. If anyone knows any good places for an American to buy it, please post it or PM me.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Of all the ones I have tried to date CH is king in this category for me. It's a cool mellow smoke, with a mild sweetness that performs well in cob, or anything else you want to put it in. Also, it is probably the first tobacco I really "got" as far as the whole concept of am I getting everything from this blend I am supposed to for flavor etc. No matter what other fancier flakes, roll cakes or other high end tobaccos may be in my collection at any time, there is always at least a pouch of CH somewhere in the van.

I was about to say absolutely none, but then I remembered Five Brothers... then I remembered that I sort of enjoyed SWR, but that's it, the rest is... oh yeh, and from time to time, I enjoy Captain Black White, when I want something with a cup of coffee. But, that's it... nothing... well Carter Hall isn't bad when I am on the tractor, but that's it.... maybe it would just have been easier to say that I hate Prince Albert, everything about it. Never liked it, hate it still. puffy And, Borkum Riff, hate it. And, the rest of the Codger blends.

Well, I'm just a complex individual.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
What are your favorites and why?

I'm not sure what mine are really but have been enjoying a good bit of Half and Half the last week or two.

Just curious about what you all enjoy in those type blends.

Thanks to this forum I have a tub of Granger that I enjoy sometimes and have a pouch of SWRA. Before I ventured here I smoked a bit of Prince Albert but it's almost gone and I'm not sure if it's available anymore.

I have not tried CH so far, maybe I should?

Just curious..

Happy smokes all!

Cotton1
The past couple of days, I had this feeling that I must go on a codger tryout as a new piper. So I purchased Velvet, Half and Half and Paladin. I havent received it yet but I feel it's a right of passage. Once I try them out, I shall return to this post and give an update.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
The past couple of days, I had this feeling that I must go on a codger tryout as a new piper. So I purchased Velvet, Half and Half and Paladin. I havent received it yet but I feel it's a right of passage. Once I try them out, I shall return to this post and give an update.
I have not had the other 2, but for the Half and Half I have been through a tub+. Not my favorite, but some really enjoy it. I do find it a lot better if I open the tub/pouch and let it sit like that for 24 hours before trying to smoke it.

I did that. Worst hundred bucks I ever spent. Well, there was that time I bought the blueprints to make your own plane, but after that, it was the worst. puffy

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
If you haven't tried them yet, I would recommend the H&H Mid-Town series at P&C, Derby Club is my personal favorite and Chatham Manor runs a close second, Prince Andrew and Chestnut are very good too.
I haven't tried Sweet Cask yet, but I've heard good things about it.
I refuse to try the Cherry, unless it's pie, I hate anything cherry flavored.
They are also available in 2 oz. bags, if you just want something to sample.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like most burley based codger blends, although the ones that don't quite click for me include 1Q, CH, SWR regular, and OTC cherry blends. Some I enjoy are SWR Aromatic, Granger, Edward G. Robinson, Five Brothers, Three Star Blue, Mixture No. 79, and H&H Midtown Chestnut. But there are many others.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
If Codger blends and Folger's were the only tobacco and coffee out there I would sell my pipes and take up tea.
Weird story about Foldgers - there’s a fairly upscale restaurant near us. We went a couple of times (when we could get discount gift certificates ?) and the coffee is fantastic. One time we were there and it was empty so we were taking our time and the waitstaff was very conversational. We had dessert and coffee and the coffee came out and smelled amazing. It was one of those rare experiences where it tasted just like it smelled. That’s only happened like twice in my life with coffee. We enjoyed it so much we asked about it. Turns out it’s a Foldgers commercial coffee syrup that they add to hot water and mix fresh for each cup. Holy crap. We were floored.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Weird story about Foldgers - there’s a fairly upscale restaurant near us. We went a couple of times (when we could get discount gift certificates ?) and the coffee is fantastic. One time we were there and it was empty so we were taking our time and the waitstaff was very conversational. We had dessert and coffee and the coffee came out and smelled amazing. It was one of those rare experiences where it tasted just like it smelled. That’s only happened like twice in my life with coffee. We enjoyed it so much we asked about it. Turns out it’s a Foldgers commercial coffee syrup that they add to hot water and mix fresh for each cup. Holy crap. We were floored.
Yeah, that's happened to me before. Rant and rave about something and how good it is only to find out it's something I would have been full of judgments about beforehand. A local joints delicious ravioli that I found out were actually just frozen, from a restaurant supplier, and not homemade with love, comes to mind :LOL: Kind of humbling, but in a good way, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.