PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Theri not OTC Codger blends, but they remind me of the Codger blends from the 60's. Those blends would be my everyday blends of C&D's Old Joe Krantz Blue Label and Pegasus.
Definitely feel that way about the original OJK especially when I’m smoking it with my teeth out complaining to my neighbor “ these kids today don’t know nothin”

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
If you want a PA vibe, Newminster No. 702 Light Burley scratches the itch. It's also so similar to Golden Extra that I have pondered if it's just the same thing. Golden Extra bites me and this doesn't which makes me think it is different. PA tends to get a little ashtray note on the home stretch, and this stuff doesn't do that.

There are a few "cheaper sleeper" tobaccos by Newminster, in the codger vein.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I enjoy Virginia's and Burley's with some English blends when the mood hits. However, my "go to" daily smoke tends to be Half and Half. Classic, slightly sweet, decent nicotine fix, tasty, and tends to never let me down.

I always come back to Half and Half and enjoy it when nothing else sounds good.

Does anyone else regularly go back to the typical codger blends? If so, name your king.
I haven't smoked Half and Half in decades, but I think it is time to revisit it. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a lot of available blends, but when I go for one of the old-time so-called over-the-counter blends, I like SWR and SWR Aromatic, and Granger. Several others now and then. Half-and-Half seemed a little harsh for a burley Virginia blend, but I may have had a bad pouch. It should be a sure bet. I can mix a nice Va/bur blend myself that smokes smooth and tasty. But tastes differ. SWR Aromatic is most like a premium blend -- burley based, Virginia as a condiment, with three liqueurs as flavoring, nicely balanced.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
My tops are 79 and PA. But I like them all.

H&H being the last. It’s got a chemical note that doesn’t agree with me.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
These days I smoke mostly OJK and Five Brothers. I just stocked up on Five Brothers, and in an order I had six pouches. I was surprised to get five of them in the cardboard retail box that I guess they theoretically put on the counter in BNMs. Never seen it, but I’ve only been in one BNM! That’s all there is near me.