PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
0221211620.jpgI hesitate to do tobacco reviews since so many others have taken on this task with far greater competence than I have for describing subtle flavors, and complexities. This tobacco is one I feel compelled to take on because it has a more brute force approach. Described as a burley, turkish, va classic American style blend with a bold flavor. It is definitely burley forward in flavor to me, a bit of a nutty profile, with a slight sour in the background. If you smoke it hot a light bitterness is present. I do not detect any of the standard sweetness you might expect from the VA, so I assume they are there mostly for burn characteristics. Full flavor for sure, and pairs well with strong black coffee. I also find it to be right at home while sipping on straight tonic water, which my wife affectionately refers to as "filth"....That being said, one of the defining characteristics of this blend seems to be unapologetic consistency, if you don't enjoy it by the time the bowl is lit, you won't like it halfway through the bowl either because it will be nearly identical. It is that exact detail that makes it a great choice for when I am driving, working on a project, or just not awake enough yet to pay attention to a smoke that deserves more of a relaxed mindset where one can take in the subtle character of each taste from the pipe. Burns fairly cool, and at a moderate pace with basically zero potential for bite in my experience. I can not speak to the room note since I am outdoors while smoking on most occasions. It is one I will buy again, and would recommend to anyone who appreciates a no topping, robust straight tobacco flavor.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good review. Don't worry about other peoples reviews. It's good to have different styles of reviews. I personally get more out of this type of review that talks more about the experience then the fine details. Also little secret writing reviews is a great way to hone one's palate. It clicks something in the brain to start noticing more fine details.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Good review. Don't worry about other peoples reviews. It's good to have different styles of reviews. I personally get more out of this type of review that talks more about the experience then the fine details. Also little secret writing reviews is a great way to hone one's palate. It clicks something in the brain to start noticing more fine details.
+1 on every point. Great review.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
View attachment 67374I hesitate to do tobacco reviews since so many others have taken on this task with far greater competence than I have for describing subtle flavors, and complexities. This tobacco is one I feel compelled to take on because it has a more brute force approach. Described as a burley, turkish, va classic American style blend with a bold flavor. It is definitely burley forward in flavor to me, a bit of a nutty profile, with a slight sour in the background. If you smoke it hot a light bitterness is present. I do not detect any of the standard sweetness you might expect from the VA, so I assume they are there mostly for burn characteristics. Full flavor for sure, and pairs well with strong black coffee. I also find it to be right at home while sipping on straight tonic water, which my wife affectionately refers to as "filth"....That being said, one of the defining characteristics of this blend seems to be unapologetic consistency, if you don't enjoy it by the time the bowl is lit, you won't like it halfway through the bowl either because it will be nearly identical. It is that exact detail that makes it a great choice for when I am driving, working on a project, or just not awake enough yet to pay attention to a smoke that deserves more of a relaxed mindset where one can take in the subtle character of each taste from the pipe. Burns fairly cool, and at a moderate pace with basically zero potential for bite in my experience. I can not speak to the room note since I am outdoors while smoking on most occasions. It is one I will buy again, and would recommend to anyone who appreciates a no topping, robust straight tobacco flavor.
I'd just like to see more pictures of that beautiful pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.