PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
Just to add to my hate mail inbox, I have no idea why some people love cobs. The price is high enough that you can get a decent briar that is well constructed. I love the idea, and have been to the factory. I wanted to be a stan for cobs but just could not get myself to enjoy them.
American tradition. That’s it for me. Cobs were what great grandpappy had. I don’t take them out in public much because I don’t want to look like a complete hillbilly rube. Its hard enough already.

coldsnap888

Lurker
Mar 19, 2023
View attachment 332219
$10 bucks. Lots of them.

Nice pic but not sure what's your point? You found a USD 10 Ozark? Note the list price on the 5th Avenue - now multiply by 1.38 for Canadian and then by 1.13 because our provincial tax is 13% and it's $15.59 which is close enough to $16. I've actually got that Ozark for $8.50 Cdn but it's neither a cob nor a briar.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Not a fan of cobs but you have me very curious about the price comment... My MM's were $16 apiece vs the cheapest briar is $60 (Brigham). All prices are Canadian and I acknowledge MM's cost up to $20 and the cheapest "briar" that I got was $40 and smoked well till it fell apart 8 months later. Are there decent briars for less that I should be looking at? thanks.
I am very agnostic regarding cobs. I knew that I would get a response by approaching the subject, but have no interest in trying to discuss / argue cobs. They are just not for me - and yes, I own a smoked 5 or 6 of them that I bought right at the factory.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
You know.... I've been to three county fairs and a hog-killin' and I never thought about doing this to char the inside of a cob. May have to do it.
Funny enough the one time I tried this it was with the more expensive one, Stubby, and while it did char the inside and spoon it also scorched the rim a bit. So if anything make sure your aim is good.

Reactions: Choatecav
I've picked up 4 cobs over about an 18 or so year span. Gave one to a friend that was living out of his van at the time i was building my house, gave one to a family member and kept 2.

They certainly have their merits; chief among them being price, durability and great simple engineering. Still smoke them on occasion, but not all that often as i usually grab a small meer if piping/driving or a cigar if out kicking around the yard. In the smoking lounge or shop it's usually briars and i bust out the larger meers while sitting out here with YT or a book.

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Wow - I guess I’m fortunate. All 5 of my cobs were getting broke in while I was getting broke into smoking a pipe, so I didn’t even notice a difference 😂. I love my cobs - easily the best smokers for sure.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Anyone else battle cobs like I do? Or have any tips on hazing a cob into compliance?
The struggle is real... the weird corn flavor, the burning wood at the bottom of a bowl, it's all part of the deal. I've read that Mark Twain would make his assistant smoke his new cobs until they were broken in.

I just smoke as many bowls of junk tobacco as frequently as possible until the curse lifts. It's not possible to enjoy these smokes very much so I won't bother trying to smoke a blend I really like. Pick something that burns easy and fast and power through these shit smokes. It's the simplest way to get to the sweet spot.

I keep seeing "Cob Hazing" in the forum list and chuckle. Like you guys are making new cob smokers do some horrendous things to be a part of the group. And, some pretty terrible things come to mind when a corn cob is mentioned, ha ha.

I did try to smoke corn cobs early on, because I kept seeing people talk about them, but I could never get past the taste. Having spent many an hour in corn silos, it just brings to mind that terrible smell.

SmokingInTheWind

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
The struggle is real... the weird corn flavor, the burning wood at the bottom of a bowl, it's all part of the deal. I've read that Mark Twain would make his assistant smoke his new cobs until they were broken in.

I just smoke as many bowls of junk tobacco as frequently as possible until the curse lifts. It's not possible to enjoy these smokes very much so I won't bother trying to smoke a blend I really like. Pick something that burns easy and fast and power through these shit smokes. It's the simplest way to get to the sweet spot.

When I buy a filtered cob, I buy a ten pack of Dr. Grabow filters also. I use a new filter for each of the first ten smokes. It seems to help a little with the harshness from the raw cob, wood, and the outer finish that sometimes gets on the inside of the bowl. After that, I don't use a filter. It might be all in my head, but it is an inexpensive ritual of mine.

Last edited: