PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I count my lucky stars in that I never feel like breaking in briars is a thing. They smoke great from the get go. Old Peterson swamp coatings notwithstanding. Meers can have a soapyness to them the first smoke or two.

But cobs. God help me I hate breaking in cobs. I picked up a MM General recently and it's proving to be more of a stubborn bastard than MacAthur himself. It's a 2.25" chamber of pure corny goodness and I'm on the fourth or fifth smoke and I'm still getting notes of cob. That's not the worst, the worst is the wood bit. I hate these things. It's charred a bit but I still get burnt wood towards the end.

Anyone else battle cobs like I do? Or have any tips on hazing a cob into compliance?

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Keep smoking until it surrenders.
I count my lucky stars in that I never feel like breaking in briars is a thing. They smoke great from the get go. Old Peterson swamp coatings notwithstanding. Meers can have a soapyness to them the first smoke or two.

But cobs. God help me I hate breaking in cobs. I picked up a MM General recently and it's proving to be more of a stubborn bastard than MacAthur himself. It's a 2.25" chamber of pure corny goodness and I'm on the fourth or fifth smoke and I'm still getting notes of cob. That's not the worst, the worst is the wood bit. I hate these things. It's charred a bit but I still get burnt wood towards the end.

Anyone else battle cobs like I do? Or have any tips on hazing a cob into compliance?
I use a jet lighter to char the wood bit. Works a treat. And avoids that burnt wood taste

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I have never smoked a cob enough to get the corn taste out. I am not a fan of cobs, IMO they are poorly constructed and smoke funny. I have smoked quite a few bowls in one, and still don't have enough cake or whatever it takes to make it smoke good. But then again I am still quite young and have plenty to learn....

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Perhaps I'm more oblivious than most, but breaking in cobs hasn't been much of a big deal for me. Sure, there's an occasional whiff of burnt wood for the first couple of bowls, but I also tend to leave the stock filter in place for those, so I'm not tasting it much. Smoking hard in an attempt to burn away the "spoon" is misguided, IMO.

I do try to smoke extra-slow and cool for those first couple of bowls, avoiding windy conditions, to try to apply cake over the wood instead of charring it too much. Blends like Orlik Golden Sliced and C&D Visions of Celephaïs work well at depositing cake right away. Could be the Virginias or the toppings in those. Burleys don't seem to as much.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
The more I smoke and appreciate smoking a pipe and tobacco the less I smoke cobs.
Many love them, and it made sense to me to use them in harsh environments at first, but the more I smoke the more I find that a decent yet economical briar will smoke better in the area of back to back, all day, even in active/harsh environment smoking.
YMMV

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I've never, in a rage, flung a cob into the waste bin. I have flung briars and meerschaums. An entire collection, once. I suppose that says more about me than the respective pipes, but cobs--I like 'em. I find that some smokers getting a "corn" taste from them to be bizarre. Maybe burnt popcorn? Dunno. I do like the more expensive ones, when compared to the cheaper. The latter can suck quite a bit, though they're adequate, I suppose. (Ever cut your tongue on the flashing of a cheap plastic bit? I have.)

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
Opposite here! I love cobs, love the sweet corn, love that they smoke relatively dry yet deliver moist flavor, and love no break-in. Most of all I love that they're disposable and I'm never worried about them in the pool, at the beach, out in or on the water, or hiking. I smoke them hard and often when we are outdoors. Going back to my briar rotation, I miss them juuuust a little. I'm gluing a few back together now for a week at the beach beginning this afternoon, in fact.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas

This post may help...

In my experience: I've only ever enjoyed small cobs, not the big ones.

I've owned several small cobs and they are amazing. It takes very little time to break them in, and they are a great hands free light cob for quick and frequent smoking on the go.

Here is a trick for "protecting" the bottom of the bowl after the shank is burned off or if there is no shank as in a few cobs.

Apply a little spittle mixed with ash tamped tightly in the bottom of the bowl. Let dry completely. This forms a little brick-like layer. Keep doing this until the ash brick is as high as the shank.

It does not burn easily, creates a protection from natural soft bottoms that some MMs have, and alleviates the throwing away of so much unburned good tobacco that gets trapped under the shank.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Just to add to my hate mail inbox, I have no idea why some people love cobs. The price is high enough that you can get a decent briar that is well constructed. I love the idea, and have been to the factory. I wanted to be a stan for cobs but just could not get myself to enjoy them.
Where are you buying QUALITY briar pipes for under $10.
Don't worry about all the fancy shapes, a Missouri Meerschaum Legend is under $10 and smokes just like the fancy $40 ones.
For under $20 they have a bunch of choices of cobs with the wood bottom and a larger bowl than the Legend.
A decade ago there were no MM cobs over $10......but now they have found a way to make more money.
The Diplomat 5th Avenue is the perfect size and shape in my opinion, and under $18.
The last time I bought one they were MUCH less expensive, but that was a decade ago. :)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I know we have some new folks, and haven't really realized what that thing is in the bottom of MM cob. It's called "spoon", and here's MM's explanation of what it does. This is from 4 years old post.

"We assemble our pipes so the spoon on the shank goes all the way across the bottom of the pipe. This helps to protect the bottom of the bowl and is particularly important on the natural bottom bowl pipes. We don’t ever recommend that folks smoke their corn cob pipes down to the last shred of tobacco and doing this does burn away the wood spoon. Some folks don’t really believe their pipes are broken in until that wood spoon is burned off, but what they aren’t thinking about is that the spoon is also helping to hold the shank into the bowl since it gives a large surface area for the glue we use to assemble the pipe."