PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hello Pipers!

Just like myself, and for those that wondered about the shank at the bottom of the bowl you might see in a Missouri Meerschaum, they explained it to me, because I know some people like to burn it out over time.

———————————

We assemble our pipes so the spoon on the shank goes all the way across the bottom of the pipe. This helps to protect the bottom of the bowl and is particularly important on the natural bottom bowl pipes. We don’t ever recommend that folks smoke their corn cob pipes down to the last shred of tobacco and doing this does burn away the wood spoon. Some folks don’t really believe their pipes are broken in until that wood spoon is burned off, but what they aren’t thinking about is that the spoon is also helping to hold the shank into the bowl since it gives a large surface area for the glue we use to assemble the pipe.

———————————

Happy Puffing - PipeIT :)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The very first pipe I bought was a cob. On the second bowl that “spoon” burned away. One the fourth bowl the shank essentially burned away from the bowl. On the sixth smoke the bottom essentially burned away. On the seventh bowl my face and tongue burned away.

Yet, here I am. Maybe traumatic cob disorder is why I prefer briars.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The very first pipe I bought was a cob. On the second bowl that “spoon” burned away. One the fourth bowl the shank essentially burned away from the bowl. On the sixth smoke the bottom essentially burned away. On the seventh bowl my face and tongue burned away.

Yet, here I am. Maybe traumatic cob disorder is why I prefer briars.
This has to be my third favourite post I have read so far. Number two goes to @jguss when he cited the idea of god making harris as a cause for atheism. Number one was @hoosierpipeguy reference to “more pounds per pound”