PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Just asking, why buy a MM with a plastic stem when acrylic versions are available?
Because you can chew them all to hell and when they eventually crack or otherwise fail, you simply replace them for pennies.

More seriously, yes, the Cobbler, with its acrylic bit and perfect everything, has stolen my heart. And there are others. I could easily live with cob pipes only, quirks and all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A wide-open draw is often provided on high-end (expensive) artisan pipes, so you might get used to it and like it. I haven't tried it, but I believe the 6mm adaptor available from SP and other retailers might restrict the draw slightly, if you decide you want that. Like other members on this thread, I have refitted several of my cobs with Forever stems, and have bought several of the special edition MM cobs with acrylic stems that are a little more expensive (about $28 right now) but don't need to have the soft plastic stems replaced. Over the years, I've come to regard MM cobs as permanent pipes. Since I have a large rotation of briars, cobs, and other pipes, they don't wear out.