PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
In growing my pipe count from 2 to 7, I picked up my first MM Cob - a bent country gentleman. The pipe came with a 6mm filter, which I chose to remove on first smoke. I gotta tell you, that pipe had more of a full, open draw than any of my others. Maybe too open for my liking. Is this typical? I plan to try it with the filter next time. Being the fledgling piper that I am, I guess I plan to try everything at least once til I get my groove. Happy to have your thoughts.

Cheers!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
In growing my pipe count from 2 to 7, I picked up my first MM Cob - a bent country gentleman. The pipe came with a 6mm filter, which I chose to remove on first smoke. I gotta tell you, that pipe had more of a full, open draw than any of my others. Maybe too open for my liking. Is this typical? I plan to try it with the filter next time. Being the fledgling piper that I am, I guess I plan to try everything at least once til I get my groove. Happy to have your thoughts.

Cheers!
Yes, that's typical.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
, that pipe had more of a full, open draw than any of my others. Maybe too open for my liking. Is this typical?

I don’t know if it’s typical, but it’s too open for you if you think it is. I generally use filters in my cobs exactly for the reason you cite: to close off the draw a bit. I use Savinelli balsas because I don’t like paper filters, and I already have the balsas because I use them in my many Savinellis for the same purpose.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
You might try a Forever Stem on your cob. I have a number of them - acrylic and in Vulcanite. They make a huge improvement in the draw & mouthfeel of a MM cob in my opinion.
I just got my first couple yesterday to see if they were better than that awful plastic stem. Happily, they are. It appears Vermont Freehand will have vulcanite models soon and I am looking forward to them.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
I just got my first couple yesterday to see if they were better than that awful plastic stem. Happily, they are. It appears Vermont Freehand will have vulcanite models soon and I am looking forward to them.
Good to know. I will probably look into getting one for my cob. Thanks!

By the way, do you know of any resource other than VF for Forever Stems?

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
I don’t know if it’s typical, but it’s too open for you if you think it is. I generally use filters in my cobs exactly for the reason you cite: to close off the draw a bit. I use Savinelli balsas because I don’t like paper filters, and I already have the balsas because I use them in my many Savinellis for the same purpose.
I will try the paper filter that came with the pipe, and maybe see if I can hang with no filter for a bit. But it's good to know I can use the balsas as well. Thanks!

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I leave the filter out for that wide open draw. I like to use extra fluffy pipe cleaners. If you don’t like using pipe cleaners you’re better off leaving the filter in.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The cobs narrow chamber,easy draw and the ability to absorb moisture makes it great smoker.

I love the standard black plastic stems. At half a buck each —buy a half dozen and enjoy yourself.

No filters (for me)

Every time I grab an MM it’s ability to provide a great smoke has me shaking my head. So many expensive briars can’t compare.

So light and easy to hold or clench. Cobs are the truth.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Just asking, why buy a MM with a plastic stem when acrylic versions are available?
There’s nothing wrong with the plastic bits, really. They actually have a perfect airway in my opinion, but they don’t hold up well to tough clenching. I replaced some of mine with homemade vulcanite and acrylic stems, but only because when I’m forging knives in the shop while smoking them it causes me to clench a little too hard when swinging a hammer. If hard clenching isn’t an issue, there’s really no need for acrylic other than preferring the aesthetics of acrylic.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
There’s nothing wrong with the plastic bits, really. They actually have a perfect airway in my opinion, but they don’t hold up well to tough clenching. I replaced some of mine with homemade vulcanite and acrylic stems, but only because when I’m forging knives in the shop while smoking them it causes me to clench a little too hard when swinging a hammer. If hard clenching isn’t an issue, there’s really no need for acrylic other than preferring the aesthetics of acrylic.
It's a personal tactile preference I have for acrylic rather than aesthetics, but I appreciate your point.