PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
How come some of the topics are closed for discussion? I tend to see this on controversial titles.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Eric has it right. We close topics which either break the rules or are what we consider hot-button topics that will cause ire amongst the members. We try to nip it in the bud, as it were, but we have lives outside of these forums and don't always catch those threads early enough. I've been a Mod on this forum long enough to know when a thread had passed its apex and is on its descent. We would rather not close threads, but forum history has proven that certain types of threads can't stay above water for long. I'm reminded of that saying, "Those who fail to learn from history…" You get the idea.
That said, I would hope all members would send us Mods a PM giving us a heads-up about a thread that had gone south or that they think breaks one of our few rules rather than posting in said thread "In before the lock" or some other nonsense. Anyway, that's how I see it.
-Jason

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
These odd threads pop up occasionally and compared to earlier in the year they have certainly diminished. I haven't seen anything bang out of order on the boards here in the almost a year since I joined as most folk are pretty easy going. That being said things tend to slow down in the summer months and only pick up when it gets cold and the nights draw in and people connect up through the forum. We shall see what transpires!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Also notice that when Jason closes a thread, he doesn't delete it, you can still read the posts. The only time I've seen posts deleted are when they're personal attacks.
No, I'm calling YOU a moron, you idiot!
That gets deleted.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pipe smokers come to the pipe forums to be entertained, to learn and to enjoy community. It would be good if we recognized these values and watched what we say more. Then mods wouldn't have to lock threads, etc.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jason nailed it. Closing a thread or even editing offense comments isn't much fun and we don't take that responsibility lightly. Sometimes, I know immediately if a thread is going to go out-of-bounds, but I'm too optimistic I guess. Jason has been a mod far longer than I have, his "sixth sense" is pretty refined! All forums go through these ebbs and flows.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's human nature that some kind of orderliness and boundaries improve a group or community. Otherwise,

things go off the rails. The good side is that when a group of people get their balance, they don't need much

supervision and free speech can mostly prevail without rants and polarized diatribes. Most of the time Forums

is an amazingly civilized place where conversation and disagreements are sane and useful. Turning a pipe

site into yet another crazy-land would be, well, too bad. ... And trailboss, no reference to you, you just clicked

first. I was following the post before yours.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Pipe smokers come to the pipe forums to be entertained, to learn and to enjoy community. It would be good if we recognized these values and watched what we say more. Then mods wouldn't have to lock threads, etc.
Ain't gonna happen, and never will as it's just part and parcel of any given forum site. I own and have run one for the past six years and it is, for the most part, a thankless job. Not only for me, but also to the moderators. Hot button topics such as politics and religion in any way shape or form have never been allowed for discussion on my site. Hell, there are a plethora of other forum sites that are easily accessed if one feels the need to discuss such matters. It's only human nature when such aforementioned topics come up to fall off the rail and go into a tangent that can only be described as disruptive and possibly prove to cause ill feelings among some of the members. More likely than not such discussions would not prove to be an issue if all were seated and face to face over a few friendly drinks, but regretfully this does not carry over too well with the typewritten word. That is simply the 'irritable little beast' on a forum site, or the Internet social media for that matter. With that said, my hat of to Kevin and his moderators. Keep up the good work... :wink:

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Unfortunately a thread wasn't closed soon enough and cost us one of our best members. Won't mention his name but 15K posts in 13 months.
Craig

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Just me but maybe the member being inappropriate should be asked to leave as opposed to the thread being closed. In life people are always going to have a disagreement however if you have not yet learned how to do thus appropriately, this seems to be a personal problem and just maybe social media is not for you.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
With all due respect, Dragonslayer, people are aware of when they have crossed the line. It's just a matter of if they called on it, and if they are, what their response is. The person that you are referring to ignored warnings from the mods, re-sarted a closed thread, and then challenged the forum owner to remove him. Wasn't much of a challenge.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There will always be topics that are controversial, about which members may fiercely disagree, and are sure to result in emotional and largely irrational combativeness. Those topics should just be avoided. Politics is one, Dunhill pricing is another, and lets not get started on Peck's aliases.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Just me but maybe the member being inappropriate should be asked to leave as opposed to the thread being closed.
Some conversations just need to end; there being little benefit and risk of increased harm/spite/vitriol should the discussion continue. I'd rather have a closed thread, a couple bruised feelings, but folks still contributing to the larger conversation than having folks banned for an angry moment, or a bad decision. In general, these forums are some of the most lightly moderated/policed that I've had the pleasure of participating in. This due, mostly, to the general decorum of forum members, and the talk first approach of Mods.
$0.05 in the bucket.
-- Pat

In my girlfriend's shop, they have the same rules as to what can be discussed, except you have to add football to the list. Many take football more seriously than they do politics, and it's hard to separate religion from the football sometimes. Only two religions here, Alabama and Auburn. I've seen men throwing punches in parking lots, smashing windshields in because of bumper stickers, T-shirts, etc...

Something as simple as a football joke can lead to violence, and that's no joke.

Of course anyone with an IQ over 90 here doesn't give a squat about the game, so that leaves LOTS and LOTS of stupid Alabamians willing to die for a college team that they can't even find on a map.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Life can offer so many parallels as the great Irish comedian once said 'May your particular god go with you' and the fact we live in a well moderated forum we should be grateful for…….now about that midget mud wrestling contest…..

Status
Not open for further replies.