PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
What a good read. Certainly a nice slice of the population with regards to the opinions voiced.
Clergyman: smoke or not. Doesn't change my mind pro or con towards them.
Drinking- Same. Nice to have a beer with a pastor just to keep them human.
Smoking pot- Same thoughts. I personally don't smoke out, but giving it some honest thought. I don't think it would change or erode any opinion I have of anyone finding out they do.
Swearing on the otherhand...this is a stickler. I don't trust any adult that says awe fudge, of sassafrass. No f bombs in the wrong audience, but were talking about stigmas attached to behaviors in the clergy and it was what popped in my head as actually relevant to when I unconsciously form an opinion of a person.
Just my unsolicited rantings..

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
Just noticed this myself.... As a missionary... Well.. Happy to see all of you folk.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Interesting that the Buddhist was the first one to mention the Pagans... :D
As for moral considerations, to quote the old pagan/wiccan admonition, "an' ye do no harm, do what ye will."
I grew up in a relatively liberal Christian denomination and eventually left Christianity after experiencing my own "dark night of the soul", for reasons both philosophical and metaphysical. I currently identify myself as a Heathen, as the Scandinavian myths and the underlying theology behind them appeal to me most strongly (my maternal great-grandparents were Swedish immigrants, though they assimilated quite thoroughly once they emigrated), but I spent a fair amount of time reading modern neo-pagan books while I was in my "seeker" phase, and I remember clearly one article specifically on smoking and the Wiccan Rede (as quoted above, or sometimes phrased "an' it harm none, do what you will."). The author of that particular article found himself unable to reconcile the harm done by smoking (both to himself and to his family - indoor cigarette smoker, as I recall) with the Rede, and as a result decided to quit.
While I don't necessarily follow the Rede myself (since I'm not Wiccan, and since ethically I believe it sometimes necessary to cause harm in order to prevent greater harm, specifically to oneself...), it does provide an interesting framework for deciding whether to engage in certain activities. Smoking can cause harm, both to oneself and to others - but the question is how much harm, and how much responsibility one accepts for that harm. Several people on this forum, for example, have mentioned taking measures to mitigate any possible harm to others (air purifiers, separate rooms, only smoking outdoors, etc.), and others have mentioned switching to pipes to mitigate harm to themselves - which is right in line with the Heathen ethic of taking responsibility for one's own actions.
Nice to know that whatever else we may believe or believe in, there are some strong ethical similarities among us. :)

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm a little late to the game here- and I almost didn't post on this since we've had a couple of "hot topics" lately, so y all play nice.
Anyway, grew up Catholic, but now work for a Baptist Church. I'm technically not a pastor, as I don't have the title- haven't wanted to mess with the weirdness that will ensue with taxes- but I'm responsible for leading worhsip, finding creative ways to communicate the week's message, and pastoring/discipling volunteers on my team, and various people that just need someone to talk to.
Anyway, I smoke pipe, about 2-3/week, unless I'm busy, which feels like always, then it turns into 1x/week.
While I don't believe recreational smoking goes against anything in the Bible, it does carry a bit of a stigma, and as I'm at a large church where its not possible to have a conversation with every single person to clarify questions, I'm somewhat quiet about it.
But, all the staff knows- in fact the missions pastor and I keep meaning to get together for a beer and cigars.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Boy am I glad to be Jewish. God promised he would never abandon nor forsake his chosen people, and since God never breaks his promises, I'm certain I'm just fine to smoke all I want. Yippee!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
As Zonomo and Chappy have observed, Englishman Charles Spurgeon (1834-92), the best-known preacher of his day, was known to enjoy a cigar frequently. He maintained that smoking was not prohibited by the Bible.
Of course the Native Americans that gave us tobacco used it in religious ceremonies, and believed that the mere act of joining a bowl and stem was a invitation to the gods to come into their presence.
Rabbi Ira Stone of Temple Beth Zion Beth Israel in Philadelphia, worked on the development of C&D's Hebraica Series blends with William Serad. I think he might even have been involved in Philly's Christopher Morley Pipe Club -- but then again, he can speak for himself in that he's known around here as pipepulpit.

me-with-pipejpeg-avatar2.jpg

waywardverve

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
Well one thing I can vouch for is us Catholics hahaha... My whole life I've known Catholics at least to be enthralled with the finer things :P though teaching states that any habbit or addiction that causes bodily damage is to be given up (as the body is the temple of God).

Cigarettes, overeating, alcoholism are all negative but enjoying any of those in happy moderation is what us Catholics do best.
Brought up with a fine education in alcohol and food. All of my young mates a fans of the Pipe as well.

shayno

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
Christian liberty is a wonderful thing, but the mature among believers see the need to amend behavior as needed. For example, if one invites a person to dinner and that person does not imbibe then wine should not be offered with dinner. The same should be with tobacco. If you have a guest or are a guest of a brother or sister who believes smoking is a sin then by all means do not smoke around them.
Personally, I thank God for every bowl.

chaplainmike

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
I am a United Methodist (UMC) minister currently serving as a chaplain in a children's hospital. The UMC discourages clergy from smoking but many still do. No going to hell, just some occassional nasty looks from other clergy. Most of the parishes I worked in didn't care about me smoking a pipe. They were far more worried about how I preached and counseled.
I get far more grief from some of the hospital staff that know I smoke. I do not smoke at work at all. Mainly because the residual smell can have adverse effects on sick patients. I go home at the end of the day and enjoy in the privacy of my man cave.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
A couple years ago I worked on church staff with an intern. I'm sure he's among you now. We excchanged cigars and homebrewed beer. We smoked together right outside. Once on the roof. We're all human, doomed to sin, whether parishoner or pastor. We,re forgiven. If you,re on this site, you'll know who I am. I'd like to know what you're up to Michael.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I have been an ordained minister since the late 70s. Initially, I felt the need to abstain from all tobacco products. While serving as a prison chaplain, I came to the conclusion reached by many of you gentlemen. Addiction is bad, but the enjoyment of my pipe is good. Should this ever become a compulsive habit, I'll stop. Until then, I see no contradiction in puffing a great briar while studying my Bible.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Here is an interesting change. Moody Bible Institute, a conservative bible college, recently changed their policy for staff. Now they are allowed to make up their own minds on alcohol & tobacco.
Winton
http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2013/september/moody-bible-institute-drops-employee-alcohol-tobacco-ban.html

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here is an interesting change. Moody Bible Institute, a conservative bible college, recently changed their policy for staff. Now they are allowed to make up their own minds on alcohol & tobacco.
Wow, that is surprising and interesting. My father studied at Moody. He is a super conservative Southern Baptist/Church of God (non pentecostal) member, in addition to being a great father/grandfather. I think he would be surprised to hear this and perhaps he'll cut me some slack on my pipe use.
"There will be no on- or off-campus dances sponsored or organized by Moody Bible Institute students or personnel."
Whew, at least they are not going completely off the reservation! I'm Catholic now, but still cannot dance one lick, much to my wife's dismay. I try, but tell her someone will have to "beat the Baptist" out of me! As a child, if I had ever seen any of our old pastors drink a beer or light up a smoke, I'd have fallen right off my chair.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I have been an ordained clergy for 35 years. I had never tried a cigarette and had no desire to smoke. I had a cigar on the occasion of the birth of my first grandchild and found I did not mind it at all. At a church rummage sale, of all things, I found a pipe and purchased it for twenty-five cents. Turned out to be a beautiful Vauen estate pipe in a leather case with tools in the pocket. I have a close friend who is a pipe smoker and he guided me through the early stages and helped me learn how to smoke a pipe. I am not an everyday smoker but occasionally have a bowl with my friend and sometimes, weather permitting, on my patio or in the portico at the front of the house. My wife and grown children are all fine with it. I too, am pastoring a Presbyterian Church, even though I am actually a Methodist. I find the pipe to be a way to settle as I contemplate for sermons and discussions with my parishioners. My son just gifted me with a beautiful handmade briar pipe he purchased out in Laguna Beach CA close to where he lives. He and I have yet to enjoy a bowl together but maybe this Spring when we visit him. There is my story. Hope it is encouraging.

Sep 22, 2012
When I was an RC, Jesuit, priest, for 11 years, I happily smoked cigarettes and sometimes pipes. Now I am a humble janitor and in terms of religion, Pagan, and it's been the last 2 years that I smoke pipes only, with great pleasure.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
When I was an RC, Jesuit, priest, for 11 years, I happily smoked cigarettes and sometimes pipes. Now I am a humble janitor and in terms of religion, Pagan, and it's been the last 2 years that I smoke pipes only, with great pleasure.
Now that has all the makings of very interesting story!!

Status
Not open for further replies.