PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Even when I had teeth I didn't bite down, I just closed my mouth far enough to a point that the pipe wouldn't fall out. Little to no strength or effort required. Now with no teeth even the giant pipes easily clench.
OK this has been getting me more and more curious every time I read about you not having teeth: how did you lose them?

Reactions: tobakenist and BCF

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Everyone's different. And there are number of different ways to clench. Of course, you can clench with your hand, but that won't help with smoking. There are two primary ways. Pipe up, or down. You can have it stick out between fingers, but that might look too much like giving birdie.

As to clenching with mouth/teeth, I don't use teeth to bite down. Never put force on it to stress the jaw. The button rests on upper teeth, and stem front of button rests my lower lip. Pipe just hangs there. I clench mostly when I'm smoking.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
I have thied clenching maybe two or three times, and it didn't work. Back then I thought I was doing it wrong, and after reading this thread I couldn't be more sure about it. The only pipe I can clench is MM Mini Ozark, which I smoke seldom if even then. :D
Otherwise, I'm afraid of either my teeth cracking or twisting, or, much worse, about leaving teethmarks on the stem. But maybe I digest the information you shared and give it a try. I would like to be able to clench, because, as pointed out here, sometimes it's at least practical.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I am mostly a holder because being a wet smoker I would flood my pipes within a minute, even with my Peterson systems, when working in my workshop, mainly working on Guitars, I do clench when on a big job, for this I use a Falcon Dental that I have had for over 40 years, this just hangs in between my teeth with hardly any pressure and just a quick turn of the bowl it I can empty spit straight on to a sponge on my bench, the sponge rinses easily ready for the next time.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I find myself with my pipe hanging from my top teeth and resting on my bottom lip. I used to clinch more with my bottom teeth but found I was waring through my stems fairly fast. By fast I mean 10 years lol. I just want the most life out of every pipe. That’s why I modified my hold. If I’m sitting relaxing I may also rest my bent pipes on my upper chest.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I only clench for a moment if I have to fiddle with something quickly. Clenching causes a saliva flood in my mouth and that drives me nuts. Even without clenching, without smoking even, I salivate alot. Smoking a pipe just increases the production alot.

Everytime I go to the dentist, they let me know how crazy my salivatory glands are.

"I know Doc. It drives me crazy"

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It's often been said by those that know me that I'm quite mad. I've considered replacing my matching prosthetic eye with a solid black one just to mess with people. rotf
There was a guy who used to show up at the Christmas parties at one of the animation studios I used to work for in New York many years ago that had an all black prosthetic eye—it was very creepy and unsettling.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I only smoke at home when relaxing, so I mostly hold the pipe. If moving around, then I will just let the pipe rest on the bottom teeth, and the button held by the top teeth. I don’t believe that I’ve ever actually “clenched” the stem.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'm typically relaxing when smoking, so I prefer to hold the pipe. I try to clench every now and then, and I don't mind it too badly, but I do salivate more than I care to, and I haven't found an effective way to deal with that.

I do like using rubber bits on my pipes, and that does help me with clenching a lot. I know not everyone likes them, but for me, they are very useful.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
If you really value your pipes, you should learn not to clench them too tightly. And especially make sure you don't get in the habit of chewing them. I smoke pipes every day that I've had over 50 years and they hardly have any teeth marks at all. puffy