PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I don't clench. I hold my pipe. Not everyone's teeth line up in a way that provides a natural position for the pipe to be stable. Also, clenching a pipe will, over time, shift your teeth. You may notice a feeling in the gums later that signals some roots are moving around. That's not something I want. But everyone is different. Just know there is nothing wrong with holding your pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Also, clenching a pipe will, over time, shift your teeth.

Correct clenching, no pressure, shouldn't cauae such a problem. Can you support such a claim with data. Are you speaking from personal experience? Have you practiced impeccable hygiene? Or, do you have less than healthy gums? I'm latter 70's of age and clenching since the latter 1960's and my dentists(s) have never made even a hint that such damage is/has occurred. I'm unwilling to believe such a statement unsupported.

Reactions: yanoJL and jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Teeth shift depends on a person. I noticed my teeth has shifted since I was younger. Not due to pipe smoking, but too cheap to put in implants or crown after extractions. My wife on the other hand didn't have any extraction, but teeth were shifting. So she is having those orthodontist thing done.

Reactions: yanoJL

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
95% of the time, I'm either smoking a full-bent Peterson p-lip or Savinelli Oom Paul. Both just kind of hang, so not a lot of clenching involved. I can shift the pipe from one side of the mouth to the other hands-free if needed. The Peterson is the easiest since it has the p-lip button.

Reactions: yanoJL